What makes the Ibanez wiring unique? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KennyV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

What makes the Ibanez wiring unique?

So I've been dabbling more into electronics and setting my next plans for guitar pickups and it's been Alot of fun, altho an uphill battle at some points.

For now, I feel pretty comfortable with the idea of splitting 4 conductor pickups like Duncan's or DiMarzio's.

The concept seems simple enough, you send one coil to ground by taking it out of the circuit, and which coil is sent out depends on how it's wired by swapping some of the north and south ends in your plans.

However.. I don't seem to fully understand how the older ibanez guitars, or maybe even some newer ones, I've not worked many newer ones, are achieving a split coil with only 2 conductors and a ground.

I've done some detailed diagrams and switch configs to try and understand it and I just simply thought that Ibanez 5 way switches sent part of the signal to ground from the second wires.

But it seems Alot of people online are saying that no pickup can be split without 4 wires.

What makes Ibanez pickups or maybe the switch special to allow this when it was deemed impossible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Re: What makes the Ibanez wiring unique?

Keep in mind I'm no expert on passive electronics, but I've been a medical electronics tech my whole life... A 3-wire pickup has a ground, a hot, and a "common" center tap that is really two coil ends tied together. This "common" point can be grounded out for coil tapping. A 4-wire pickup has a ground, a hot, and the other ends of the two coils have separate wires so you can flip polarity for coil splits, etc. This link to a diagram on StewMac shows the 3-wire coil tap the way I believe it to work.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...humbucker.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Everything on paper in the Ibanez pickups seems like what the 4 conductor pickups do on average.

A Duncan invader for example, black is hot to switch, red and white are the commons, and they get wired together for the splits.

But then we have the end of South coil getting grounded out.

In this case each opposite end goes to either switch or ground, with the common being the variable that splits.

However the common literature online seems to say that a 2 conductor pickup isn't actually the same.

They seem to say that the second conductor is the end of the South coil and there isn't actually a common between them.

The ground seems to just be a ground and not the end of the second coil.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Re: What makes the Ibanez wiring unique?

I see... A 2-wire pickup with a "shield" ground, as opposed to a 3-wire pickup with a wire to the common coil ends. Run an ohmmeter across each coil to tell for sure... Measure from one conductor to ground, then the other conductor to ground. If you get like 5k on both measurements, you'll know it is the common coil ends and can be coil tapped. If you get 10k on one conductor and a dead short on the other you'll know it was just a shield ground.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I don't have them on me at the moment, but I know the original v1 and v2 pickups work that way.

Just didn't know how Ibanez got away with it when everyone else said it was impossible.

When I get home Saturday I'll test their resistance.
FireEagle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode