What pickup on "Passion and Warfare"? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

What pickup on "Passion and Warfare"?

I love the sound of the song "Erotic Nightmares" on that album. The rythm sounds awesome.
What guitar is it (yeah I figured out it's a JEM) and what pickup in what position with what kind of amp is he using?

Thinking of buying a new pickup for my RG3120 instead of the Tone-Zone....

Last edited by Azrael; 01-07-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 PM

Re: What pickup on "Passion and Warfare"?

Info from the Passion & Warfare book.

He used 7, 77 and 777 Jems on P&W. Which one he used on that specific song is hard to tell, as they all is said to be original.

Ampwise:
Marshall heads.
Marshall, Carvin, Rockman and ADA pre amps.
Marshall and Mesa Boogie power amps.
Fender Deluxe and Roland Jazz Chorus amps.

Rack:
2 Eventide H-3000 Harmonizers
2 Yamaha 1500 delays
T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus
T.C. Electronics Processor 2290
Drawmer Dual Gate
2 Yamaha SPX 90's
2 Roland SDE 3000's
2 Eventide 969 Harmonizers

Cabinets... Very rare (2-4) 12" 30 watt "Celestians".

PAF Pro is a 99.99% safe tip. I'd say bridge pickup as well, from the top of my head.

I doubt this helps, but someone might find it useful in one way or another.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmz...so it a PAF Pro right? Cool....have one of those in my neck ATM......
I just happen to really LOVE that rythm sound he gets.

Thank you!

Anyone has any more info? And would a PAF Pro in the neck and in the bridge be a good combo to get alot of different sounds and more clear sounding tone?

Last edited by Azrael; 01-07-2005 at 09:12 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:23 PM

I thought P&W was mostly Universes, but I wouldn't know about 'Erotic nightmares' in particular. I'd go with PAF Pros, they're very smooth.

To my ears, the P&W tone is PAF Pros/hot-rodded Marshall/lots of compression (not much gain though)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:13 PM

He used UV's on most of the stuff but you've got to consider this: On the Live at the Astoria DVD, he asked Dave Weiner "how did you do that on a 7-string?" Which leads me to believe, he must not have used the UV for the rythm on that song. I bet it was a UV for the lead, but if it was a 6, it would have been the JEM777LNG seeing as that's the only Jem around at the time of the recording. The LGN had PAF pros, and if he did use the old Green Meanie, that had the PAF's also, so I'd say it's a safe choice. Trust me, they're good, I could get that sound out of a Mahogany Schecter C-1+ with PAF Pros, I'm sure you could get it out of a Jem or RG.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Finally got my Tone Zone to sounds good. Adjusting the individual polepieces was what did the trick. I put numer 6/5/4 a bit lower (6 being lowest string) and then gradually increased hight from 3 to 1.
That really made a hell of a difference! My Tone Zone is not mushy anymore nor is it bassheavy. Everyone who has a Tone Zone and doesn't like his pickup should try this!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM

You can get close by using a marshall and backing down the gain a bit, then dime the master volume. Salt and pepper to taste. The more air you move the better. I love his tone on P&W and ALS and have only tried to cop it a few times but closest was with a modded TSL100 that was just cranked. Of course I had to stand down the block, and the cops thought it sounded good too.

I can get pretty much a close resemblence with a Rivera TBR1SL and a bogner cab, it has that raw modded marshall tone to it, but lowering the gain and then cranking the bejesus out it does the trick.

Tags
bridge pickup , dave weiner , fender deluxe , mesa boogie , modded marshall , paf pro , paf pros , power amp , power amps , rivera tbr , roland jazz chorus , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode