what pickup to try next? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

what pickup to try next?

Well Ive got my first USA Custom Graphic coming in soon....Yey! It is currently loaded with emg's. Its HSH. Since I have 8 or 9 guitars loaded with those already I am going to swap them out. Question is with what? These are my current choices although I could get whatever

Tone zone, Air Norton
DeActivator Set
Original late 70's early 80's Bill Lawrence 500xl
Duncan Dimebucker-I know basically the same as above BL
IBZ F2
Mo Joe

What I already have in other Ibbys
520qs with evos
570 with v1,v2
3120 with TZ, paf pro? or air norton I forget
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: what pickup to try next?

I have a Dimarzio FRED bridge and an EVO neck in my RG770FM (C2 middle) and love it. Play mostly hard rock and metal and they sound awesome. Plenty of harmonics with the fred and I have been using the EVO for chugging lines. For some reason the EVO in the neck has an extra kick of bass.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 AM

Reviews: 120

What do you want out of the guitar?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 AM

Get 2 Dimarzio X2N's (bridge and neck) and a Dimarzio Super Distortion S for the single coil. The pickups will all look the same as well as being the highest output pickups Dimarzio makes. I think having a theme like that is important!
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM

I'd try the latest model from dimarzio such as dominion or gravity storm.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM

What tone do you want to get next?
Hot and modern or warm and classic?
Lots low end or lots of mids?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Not really sure tone wise, just something different than what I already have. I do play mostly metal and tend to stray to the heavier chunck and always seem to scoop mids out. I just havent experimented with basswood much, they either already have emgs or were stock. Ive switched out several in my mahogany bodies but obviously won't be the same.

I love the evos in my 520qs(but mahogany so different), I don't like the stock hb-1 in my 565 it sounds too raspy(that is going to get swapped also) I guess I will just try several out in the 565 while Im waiting for the other guitar to get here, but will the maple vs rosewood fretboard make a large difference?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
I have a Dimarzio FRED bridge and an EVO neck in my RG770FM (C2 middle) and love it. Play mostly hard rock and metal and they sound awesome. Plenty of harmonics with the fred and I have been using the EVO for chugging lines. For some reason the EVO in the neck has an extra kick of bass.
Since the Mo Joe is supposedly the updated FRED, maybe I will try that one out first.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 AM

I'd say give something you never thought about trying a shot. lol The next one on my list is the gravity storm. I also heard the dominion was a mean pickup. Been looking at that andy timmons pickup too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM

The Mo Joe is not really an updates FRED.

I don't think you'll like the Mo Joe.
It's a lower output pickup with not a lot of bass/low end and a little more mids.

Try the Steve's Special-

Very Modern sounding pickup with the mids pulled down and the bass up!
It is on the low end of high output so it is still easy to play clean without a lot of over the top string sensitivity.

I think it will fit your taste.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Well I dropped a tone zone in my 565 and so far I like what it has to offer over the stock hb-1. I think it took a guitar with naturally bright woods and mellowed it a little. I dont think I will try the dimebucker in this guitar as alot of people seem to feel its a bright pickup. I may still try the mo joe, I just dont feel like soldering any more today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode