vai
satch
gilbert
john 5
angelo

and so many different styles. in an rg prestige 1570
cheers

#8 ·
I hate to tell you, but you won't notice much difference between any pickups if you're playing through a little solid state bedroom amp...

Notable differences between pickups are only heard with a tube amp cranked to a decent level.

Invest money into a better amp, not the pickups.

#10 ·
Most of the tone comes from your fingers anyways.
+1...So true. I had this article from Vintage Guitar once about Eric Clapton. He was making a guest appearance for this one band, and the band's tech was worried about getting Eric a good amp and guitar to play with. Sadly, all he had was a very cheap amp and a backup Mexican Strat. But when Eric came on, he still sounded like Eric, regardless of the equipment.

#12 ·
Sorry but this "cheap" approach will not help you whatsoever in your search for the sound. I agree no matter how good guitar you have and great pickups you have, if the amp sucks, the sound sucks.
Perhaps an advice would be to play with that cheap solid state and practice,
having in mind the sound you're looking for. When the time is right, get a real amp. Going from cheap to a bit more expensive than again somethin a bit more, will make you change a lot of average amplifiers. However this is maybe what you want, I dont know. Changing a lot of this and that could lead to a neverending story...

#15 ·
The ValveKing is a nice amp for the price. There will be people that tell you, "It's not a Marshall, Mesa, Soldano blaa, blaa, blaa". Find one of those for 400-500 bucks. You can get a used one on **** for about half or two thirds the cost of a new one and it will be a great improvement. Get a 1x12 amp (You can still do shows with one miced or with an extention cab) Don't fall for the 100-120watt head idea, unless you gig you will never play it because it's too loud.

THEN, get Evo's, have them in two guitars and they sound great for instrumental stuff as well as metal and the neck is nice sparkley clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.