What pots to use? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

What pots to use?

What pots go into a Jem? I don't want to order them in a guitar store

Are the volume and tone pot the same, and if not, what's the difference (the G and the D in the sheets...?!)
My guess is 500K logarithmic, but that's as far as my electrics knowledge goes. Are there any specifications other than that i should pay attention to when i order them from a non-guitar shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:21 AM

I'm not sure what the G & D mean (I assume you're looking at something like http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2002&w=JEM7VWH ) does anyone else know? Both the volume and tone pots should have an audio taper (yes, that's logarithmic) and you should be able to swap them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:21 AM

If you can, get one of those full sized CTS 500K audio/log taper pots, I think they are MUCH better in quality in comparison to those mini pots used by Ibanez. You can get them from AllParts - www.allparts.com
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:09 AM

CTS

I plan on getting a few of these for a Strat project I'm working on. Why are the CTS versions better? Is it just because they're larger or more robust?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:26 AM

there are quite a few good brands out there, but CTS is one of the easiest to find and the cheapest around. excellent value imo, check out www.lespaulforum.com 's potentiometers demystified article... nice photos there
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 AM

Just a quickie on the subject... Are the pots on Jem's different to the ones used on RG guitars? The pots on my jem (77Fp) have never crackled and popped but the ones on my RG7621 do... especially if you roll the volume slowly off, Just before it goes silent is crackles like mad. Both guitars recieve the same level of maintainence but the RG is sooo much noisier than the Jem.

Cheerz

J
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:18 AM

probably by chance, the stock push/pulls on my JS1000 were incredibly noisy - terrible in fact, for a guitar from their signature series. i changed the pots with new ones (which still cost quite abit here) but still get some noise here, will eventually change the volume pot to a 500k CTS and leave the tone push/pull for the coil tap

Tags
coil tap , guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode