What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Exclamation What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF

Hi guys!
What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF!?
I search for sound in old albums ...
I have EVO bridge in my RG 450 but I think it is lightly mudy.

in most crazy VAI tappings the sound is screamy and crumbly....

Pls givme some opinions

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Re: What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF

Hes been playing EVO (with duh, Evolutions on it) forever... and he always says its his most recorded axe, too... so, i guess Evos are his favorite...

Tho lately, id have to say the Sustainer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM

I read that Steve uses 250k volume & tone pots on the Evos. am I right?

Does the Jem comes wif 250k pots? Some pple actually complained about the evos being too thin but here, dimitar says its muddy...hmmm maybe its the pots??
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeaa ...Not to much mudy but very Powerfull to!
My guitar body is BassWood...The Body is More important!? or not...
and which is bether PAF-PRO or EVO for my guitar RG450RW 92 model

My pots are 500 k.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Thumbs up Re: What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF

Dimitar your sound was amazing with the v pickups i can imagine how sick it is with dimarzio pickups. I love your tone of the days of summer. But anyway lets get down to business. If you were to put a paf pro in the bridge you would find it has a sweet mid with a nice high end. Paul Gilbert uses paf pros in the bridge and neck with a basswood body. His sound is very mid to high concentrated and sounds great with shred. I definitely think the PAF Pro would match your style better than the Evo.

Also, i wanna take the chance to tell you how much i love your stuff. Balkan and the days of summer are two of my favorite songs and the tone is amazing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
Dimitar your sound was amazing with the v pickups i can imagine how sick it is with dimarzio pickups. I love your tone of the days of summer. But anyway lets get down to business. If you were to put a paf pro in the bridge you would find it has a sweet mid with a nice high end. Paul Gilbert uses paf pros in the bridge and neck with a basswood body. His sound is very mid to high concentrated and sounds great with shred. I definitely think the PAF Pro would match your style better than the Evo.

Also, i wanna take the chance to tell you how much i love your stuff. Balkan and the days of summer are two of my favorite songs and the tone is amazing.
Ohhhhh
Thank you! I'll buy Paf-pro definitely! And may be Ill keep the EVO for
my other crapy Guitar with single coils....

Thank you for good words!

Dimitar
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM

No problem man. Are you a bridge user mainly or do you switch to neck every now and then? The paf pro is great in the neck for a smooth bassy sound. You may want to just grab up two and then you would have an ultimate axe.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Actually Paul Gilbert uses the Tone Zone a lot, too... he used PAFs way back then, and now theyre on the PGM301 (dunno why)...

He's used dual Paf Pros, Tone Zone / Humbucker from Hell, and dual Tone Zones...

hope that helps
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: What is Steve favorite pickup - EVO or PAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis

This post make me feel happy!

Thank you Kontalonis!!!

Regards
Dimitar
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitar
Yeaa ...Not to much mudy but very Powerfull to!
My guitar body is BassWood...The Body is More important!? or not...
and which is bether PAF-PRO or EVO for my guitar RG450RW 92 model

My pots are 500 k.

i put a 1 meg volume pot in my usrg30, it increased treble responce a noticable bit with a dimarzio super distortion and air zone combo. It is still hels back by the 500 k tone pot bleeding off treble.

As in steve's case i could see maybe using 250k because his sound is so smooth and the evolution is so hot and centered around the higher frequencies . I belive this is why an evo 2 was built, it is centered more around the mids with the bass and treble equal, and a little less power then the original.

And i'd wager to say that steve likes his evolutions, evo and flo both have evos except for flo's neck pickup wich is of course the sustainer.

i played a jem with paf pros and didn't like it too much at all.

Tags
basswood body , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio super distortion , evo bridge , guitar body , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode