What will match better with Air Norton? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

What will match better with Air Norton?

I have a RG470 with the original V7 on the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion for bridge.
I really don't dislike the V7 pickup, but I want to change it with something better and maybe slightly higher output.

I have an Air Norton (the JP Custom version) and D-Sonic on a cheaper RG that I don't use anymore.
I really like the dark and compressed tone of the Air Norton(neck) on basswood guitars, but I am not good enough to ear the differences between D-Sonic and Super Distortion.

Is it a good idea to switch the V7 with the Air Norton and match it with the SD on the 470? Do you prefer the D-Sonic over the SD?

Somebody suggest me to buy a PAF 36th as an alternative to the Air Norton. I am reading only positive reviews about it, but I am afraid it will be too bright on my RG. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:39 PM

It really comes down to what type of music you play, you don't really need a high output in the neck position
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Re: What will match better with Air Norton?

I have a RG550 ( basswood/24 fret maple neck/ original Edge trem) that had a regular Air Norton in the neck. I was looking for something less dark so I replaced it with a 36th neck pickup. I didn't notice much loss in output and to my ears it wasn't too bright by any means. A little less compressed and the plain strings had a bit more snap. The wound strings were not as dark as the AN but they were pretty warm sounding. Definitely different sounding but not night and day. I will also say the Air Norton had more harmonic content that the 36th neck. My own 2 cents is the AN had more personality in a darker sort of way, but the 36th neck is not bland by any means.

My goal was to get a tighter sound from the wound strings on the neck pickup and a balance between fluid shred and nice aggressive dirty blues sound. The 36th did a great job of toeing the line between fluid and aggressive, but just not quite what I wanted overall.

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Re: What will match better with Air Norton?

Just my 2 cents, but I went with a Paf Pro in the neck of my RG520 a while back and its amazing. I don't know how the output compares to the V7 though, I had taken the V7 out the guitar a long time ago so I can't compare the two.

Tags
air norton , basswood , d sonic , dimarzio , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode