What's the benefit of a pickguard? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

What's the benefit of a pickguard?

Is it just the looks or is there something else?
I personnally don't like pickguards, except in Jems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 04:17 AM

I would guess (and I'm only guessing here! ) that a pickguard is to guard the body itself from pick scratches. You can replace just the pickguard when scratched up. Unless you would rather replace the body or get a new paint job that is.

- raijin
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:12 AM

dont know why,
but i ended up liking useless pickguards, like the clear ones on the back-routed FP, BFP etc, and the gold one of the RBM (please, dont flame on me!).
i repeat, dont know why, that's just me.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 08:20 AM

I've never really cared for pickguards myself. Never had any problems without them on any of my cough*piece of crap*cough guitars but they look pretty cool on the Jems for some reason. I especially like the mirrored pickguard on my dbk although it's like getting two scratches for the price of one with that reflecting surface!

- raijin
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 08:45 AM

Aside from keeping the body free of scratches and an easy way to mount electronics, I feel that guitars with pickguards (in general) have a more acoustic tone when unplugged and they have a ... spongier feel than guits with direct-mounted pickups. I like the spongy thing, ergo I like guitars with pickguards. Cosmetically I don't really feel one way or the other unless it's a great finish on the guitar (a la swirl or 3120).

-Ben
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastofLove
I like the spongy thing, ergo I like guitars with pickguards...
ERGO??? ERGO???
do you English/Americans really use the word 'ergo'??? OH MY GAWD!!! that's f***ing cool!!!!
i like when non-Italians use Latin/Italian words!
oh, sorry for going out of topic...

[think to myself] (damn... they say 'ergo'! oh my...) [/think to myself]
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Vendor

With the exception of a clear pickguard, typ[ically a pickguard has always been used to cover front routing on a guitar (check out any Strat). On a guitar with rear routing you could say it's there for mounting the electrics for a particular tone. In the case of GMC/PMC/FP/BFP about the only use it has is protecting the finish.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:56 AM

nuno: they use them a lot, like 2002 AD and ie.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
ERGO??? ERGO???
do you English/Americans really use the word 'ergo'??? OH MY GAWD!!! that's f***ing cool!!!!
i like when non-Italians use Latin/Italian words!
oh, sorry for going out of topic...

[think to myself] (damn... they say 'ergo'! oh my...) [/think to myself]
You caught me in a latin moment . And not that Ricky Martin kind of latin either...
And yes, Americans do use some of that latin but not all that frequently. Generally, people in the States use latin phrases to make themselves sound smarter than they actually are. I ouldwae evernae odae hattae.

-Ben
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:06 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
With the exception of a clear pickguard, typically a pickguard has always been used to cover front routing on a guitar (check out any Strat).........In the case of GMC/PMC/FP/BFP about the only use it has is protecting the finish.
DING! DING! DING!
Also gives you the option to mount the pups to the pickguard vs. direct mounting. Yes, there is a slight difference in tone
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 04:59 PM

Pickguards are former pickpolice...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texter
Pickguards are former pickpolice...
Is that a step up or a step down?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 08:33 PM

Sorry, Lauri. Don't mean to highjack your thread but I have a question.

From reading the above, I'm a little confused. Is the pickguard an essential part of the guitar for some Jems? Or is it more like the toy you get when you buy a happy meal, meaning that it's not entirely necessary but kinda nice that it's there?

- raijin
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raijin
Sorry, Lauri. Don't mean to highjack your thread but I have a question.

From reading the above, I'm a little confused. Is the pickguard an essential part of the guitar for some Jems? Or is it more like the toy you get when you buy a happy meal, meaning that it's not entirely necessary but kinda nice that it's there?

- raijin
Since every JEM ever made has a pickguard, I'd say it wouldn't seem like a JEM anymore without one.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:08 PM

Useless pickguards are cool. I just ordered 2 of them just for looks. As for keeping the guitar free of pick scratches... insn't drilling a bunch of holes in the body to mount it kind of defeating the purpose?

Tags
mirrored pickguard , mounted pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode