who here likes the V-8,V-7 series pup? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

who here likes the V-8,V-7 series pup?

what do they compare to in dimarzio or duncans?
i took a resistance reading on both the and v8 is 16.1K and the v7 is 9.2K sounds about right for a good output in the bridge and neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:24 AM

I like them, the V7/V8 in my RG620 sounded miles better than the INF pickups in my old RG470. I've swapped them for Evos now though, which are even better still.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:34 AM

I like the V1 and V2; no real experience with V7 & V8. They're not "F series good", but they're very good for stock pups, IMO. I assume the other Vs are as good overall, but different.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 12:08 PM

I too liked the V7/V8.
I just liked the tone they had on my RG550, and thats why I kept them when I changed them to DiMarzios.

DiMarzios are better, but they are also expensive and blah blah blah....
I know some people that dont care for pickups much though. They dont think it makes a difference.

And in a way thats true. If your playing through an Amp Modeller, then I dont think new pickups make a difference at all! Its all about personal preference I suppose!

Gary - The.Godfather
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 04:43 AM

I changed My powersound stock pups
with the V7 V8 and just for 20$ each , i like them very much..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 03:23 AM

I rather like them. I wish tehy had a bit more output, but they're pretty balanced and sound pretty good compared to all my other stock Ibanez pickups. I'm content with them. Nice cleans too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 04:51 PM

I think they're very mediocre. The V7 and V2 (or was it V1, can't remember) sound muddy in the neck position and the V8 lacks bottom end. They all lack note definition to me.

Seymour Duncans made my 1989 RG550 sound so much better when compared to the V-series pickups. The Ibanez S1 single coils are OK in my book though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:47 PM

I tend to prefer the V series to Seymour Duncans. They seem more balanced to me. Don't know about your problems with lack of bass and clarity. Aftermarket pickups are better, of course, but the Vs aren't bad at all.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 06:38 PM

they're alright, i can't seem to get good harmonics out of the bridge though, have to dig deep for pinches and smack hard for natural harmonics.

Thinking of a FRED or Evo for bridge, i like vai and satch, but i also play metallica and some drop D stuff, so Evo maybe more suited.

The neck is quite nice actually, roll off the tone and I can get a les paul-ish tone (without the sustain of course).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_cater
they're alright, i can't seem to get good harmonics out of the bridge though, have to dig deep for pinches and smack hard for natural harmonics.

Thinking of a FRED or Evo for bridge, i like vai and satch, but i also play metallica and some drop D stuff, so Evo maybe more suited.

The neck is quite nice actually, roll off the tone and I can get a les paul-ish tone (without the sustain of course).
I'd go for the evo in the bridge for sure. I play along with metallica a fair bit, but play lots of less gainy stuff aswell.
I'd say get the evo, and for the metallica stuff a really gain heavy pedal and you'll be singing. Something like the Boss Metal Zone (or even the twilight mod from keeley mods) or look at some DOD pedals (especially the older ones) I have a DOD Super Distortion, which isn't very good for a sort of mid gain sound (like satriani) but is good for a full on sound.

Tags
boss metal zone , ibanez pickups , inf pickups , keeley mod , les paul , neck position , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode