Who Prefers Evo vs. Evo2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Who Prefers Evo vs. Evo2

Anyone prefer the Evo over the Evo2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Re: Who Prefers Evo vs. Evo2

really depends on context, i have used both (but sold the evo2 and kept the evo, if that means anything to you) and find that they are actually pretty similar in terms of fundamental tone but the evo seems to just have more of everything (which isn't always best.) i wouldn't call the evo2 a vintage-type pickup by any stretch, but in terms of voicing it's closer to a traditional PAF sound than the evo is. the evo is a great pickup for metal, evo2 has a ton more diversity and cleans up better with the volume rolled back. it seems like it sweetens up alot with the volume between 8 and 4. also, i think the evo2 is a better match for the evo neck pickup.

i'd probably say that i do prefer the evo over the 2, but it really does depend on what i'm doing. the evo just kills all the time, though it's still very articulate. the evo2 is great if you want a pickup that can throw punches pretty well but also blow a kiss every now and again. no homo.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 PM

evo1 most definetely

wht are u gunna use it for??
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
evo1 most definetely

wht are u gunna use it for??
Looking to replace a bridge pup in my 1570 with a Air Norton in the neck. I play lots of different guitar heavy stuff: prog, instrumental, Vai, Maiden, Drean Theater, and some pretty heavy stuff as well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:40 PM

go evo 1, you will get such better dynamics than a evo 2
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
go evo 1, you will get such better dynamics than a evo 2
have you even used an evo2? in another thread you said you had evo's on order. have you used an evo yet for that matter? from reading yet more of your posts, it seems like you have the terms "dynamics" and "output" confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dimarzio website
...the same basic tone with increased headroom and dynamics...
i guess you would probably know better than i (as someone who has used both fairly extensively) would, or dimarzio for that matter.

Thrash, like i said before i tend to prefer the evo for what i do, but it seems like the evo2 would be a better bet for you. if you need a pickup sweet enough for satch/vai/guitar instrumental stuff but will do the heavier stuff very well also i'd go evo2. in terms of output, it'll match up very well with the air norton i think, as the an isn't a very hot pickup, lower even (a little) in terms of output than the evo neck.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
have you even used an evo2? in another thread you said you had evo's on order. have you used an evo yet for that matter? from reading yet more of your posts, it seems like you have the terms "dynamics" and "output" confused.

i guess you would probably know better than i (as someone who has used both fairly extensively) would, or dimarzio for that matter.

Thrash, like i said before i tend to prefer the evo for what i do, but it seems like the evo2 would be a better bet for you. if you need a pickup sweet enough for satch/vai/guitar instrumental stuff but will do the heavier stuff very well also i'd go evo2. in terms of output, it'll match up very well with the air norton i think, as the an isn't a very hot pickup, lower even (a little) in terms of output than the evo neck.

no i have always used evos, go read my stuff carefull i preach the evo, i love the evo

i had used evo2, and never used them again, had more than one in a guitar at one time, i have evo single coil on order iscv2 wich i just order all the parts, pots, switched everything, from dimarzio the entire evolution jem set

it has the br and neck evo f spaced humbuckers, and the f spaced single coil

before i sold most of my gutars, i i have in my jacksons and my bc rich and my carvin diff pickups, breeds super and duncons distorion also jb and jazz pickups, but after time went by i put evos in almost all my br. positions, and has either d distortion or jazz or jb in the neck

now i like the x2n in br and d distortion in the necks of my guitars

i have a rg350dx, i am going to scalop the frets entirely, wire it up for a evo jem, shave the body heel and place metal collers in it, reshape the bottom of the neck, and plane down the frets pretty flat

enough info for you?? oh yeah its a 2000 rg350dx

right now eveything is done, but the scaloping and the pups come in soon, the onlky think not stock is the 1 meg volume and a 500k tone instead of the standard 500k volume and 250 tone

so yes i love evos, and i have tried evo2, but never a fan of them at all

and i could tell the dynamics and responce is not the same

altho they are not the same kind of pickups, they are different
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM

I personally prefer the Evo2, but that's because I've gotten away from ultra high output super brittle high treble pickups.

I like the Evo a lot, and I think it's got a great bite. The Evo2 just sounds like a toned down, more rounded Evo, which I really like.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I personally prefer the Evo2, but that's because I've gotten away from ultra high output super brittle high treble pickups.

I like the Evo a lot, and I think it's got a great bite. The Evo2 just sounds like a toned down, more rounded Evo, which I really like.

i gotta say if i take a evo and put it through a tube eq, i can get almost the same tone as a evo2, but if i put t a evo2 through a tube eq, i cant get the exact dynamic and natural compression the evo has

even when i add it to the evo mix...still sounds hollow

but everyone has thier own, and my equipement also like super high gain pups
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
no i have always used evos, go read my stuff carefull i preach the evo, i love the evo

i had used evo2, and never used them again, had more than one in a guitar at one time, i have evo single coil on order iscv2 wich i just order all the parts, pots, switched everything, from dimarzio the entire evolution jem set

it has the br and neck evo f spaced humbuckers, and the f spaced single coil

before i sold most of my gutars, i i have in my jacksons and my bc rich and my carvin diff pickups, breeds super and duncons distorion also jb and jazz pickups, but after time went by i put evos in almost all my br. positions, and has either d distortion or jazz or jb in the neck

now i like the x2n in br and d distortion in the necks of my guitars

i have a rg350dx, i am going to scalop the frets entirely, wire it up for a evo jem, shave the body heel and place metal collers in it, reshape the bottom of the neck, and plane down the frets pretty flat

enough info for you?? oh yeah its a 2000 rg350dx

right now eveything is done, but the scaloping and the pups come in soon, the onlky think not stock is the 1 meg volume and a 500k tone instead of the standard 500k volume and 250 tone

so yes i love evos, and i have tried evo2, but never a fan of them at all

and i could tell the dynamics and responce is not the same

altho they are not the same kind of pickups, they are different
uh... cool. thanks for the update, bud. i don't care about your rg350, and since it's completely off topic here (which i can't even talk crap about because i've been OT plenty lately, mostly correcting the nonsense you tend to post) i don't know that it was even worth bringing up.

an rg350dx comes standard with 2 500k pots (like basically every ibanez guitar with a humbucker in it), but it's not even fun pointing out things that you're just wrong about anymore.

i know that pickups and their relation to tone are a pretty subjective matter, but notice when suggested that Thrash check out the evo2 i didn't say "yoooooo teh evo2 is the bset pup out becuz i luv it so dang mush but n e way wut yoo gonna do wit it?", i said "to match with YOUR neck pickup and to be versatile enough for the stuff YOU want to do, i think the evo2 would be a good choice." after posting my unbiased two cents on the differences between the two. i was doing my best to be helpful, not trying to sell the guy a pickup that might be completely wrong for him even though it works for me.

to my experience, the evo2 is a much more dynamic and responsive pickup than the evo. that being said, i still like the evo better. FOR ME. "dynamic" doesn't mean loud, and "responsive" doesn't mean "so loud that it picks up every note i play and even a bunch that i didn't mean to."

if dimarzio made the evo2 to be a more dynamic version of the evo and steve vai felt it was enough of a success to put into full production, then that would be good enough for me even if i hadn't used both but i have and i find that to be completely true.

i'm sorry if it seems like i'm picking on you, but honestly i kind of am. basically everything i've ever seen you post on jemsite has been either completely useless banter about why the things you like are great and that everything else sucks, or just complete and utter lies/ignorance. i haven't been on jemsite all that long, but i've been here long enough to know that you are the exact opposite of everything that i love and treasure about jemsite.

sorry about jumping off-topic again.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
uh... cool. thanks for the update, bud. i don't care about your rg350, and since it's completely off topic here (which i can't even talk crap about because i've been OT plenty lately, mostly correcting the nonsense you tend to post) i don't know that it was even worth bringing up.

an rg350dx comes standard with 2 500k pots (like basically every ibanez guitar with a humbucker in it), but it's not even fun pointing out things that you're just wrong about anymore.

i know that pickups and their relation to tone are a pretty subjective matter, but notice when suggested that Thrash check out the evo2 i didn't say "yoooooo teh evo2 is the bset pup out becuz i luv it so dang mush but n e way wut yoo gonna do wit it?", i said "to match with YOUR neck pickup and to be versatile enough for the stuff YOU want to do, i think the evo2 would be a good choice." after posting my unbiased two cents on the differences between the two. i was doing my best to be helpful, not trying to sell the guy a pickup that might be completely wrong for him even though it works for me.

to my experience, the evo2 is a much more dynamic and responsive pickup than the evo. that being said, i still like the evo better. FOR ME. "dynamic" doesn't mean loud, and "responsive" doesn't mean "so loud that it picks up every note i play and even a bunch that i didn't mean to."

if dimarzio made the evo2 to be a more dynamic version of the evo and steve vai felt it was enough of a success to put into full production, then that would be good enough for me even if i hadn't used both but i have and i find that to be completely true.

i'm sorry if it seems like i'm picking on you, but honestly i kind of am. basically everything i've ever seen you post on jemsite has been either completely useless banter about why the things you like are great and that everything else sucks, or just complete and utter lies/ignorance. i haven't been on jemsite all that long, but i've been here long enough to know that you are the exact opposite of everything that i love and treasure about jemsite.

sorry about jumping off-topic again.
i dont think anything i ever said was ignorant, ive posted earlier most ibanez guitars come stock with 500k and 250k pots, thats why i use only 1 meg or higher pot values on MY guitars for a reason that is subjective for my uses and tone

and yeah its okay, assume as you wish, it doesnt bother me, i just enjoy talking guitar....dont you???
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 AM

Reviews: 65

take the bs to PMs please guys and stick to the question that was asked!

I also prefer the Evo. Had an Evo2 in my RG and have Evos in my JEM.

The Evo just has more Edge for me, they are quite similar pups, but the Evo2 is a lil bit of the tuned down version for me.

Tags
air norton , bridge pup , ibanez guitars , neck evo , neck pickup , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode