why does my crunch lab sound so thin and trebley? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy why does my crunch lab sound so thin and trebley?

hey i have a crunch lab on the bridge position on my sterling jp 100, it sounds absolutely great when im riffing and chugging, its lived up to that crunchy and tight tone as promised by dimarzio.

but when i get to the higher strings on the higher frets , like the G ,B and E strings after the 12th fret. it sounds so thin and trebely, it sounds like its on a wah wah effect at 100% mix. and the high pitched sound of my pick hitting and scraping against the strings are very audible. but i use a regular 1.5mm jazz III

it seems like its missing that low end and warm tone. but it sounds perfectly fine on my neck P.U ( liquifire ).

i assumed its because my strings are guaged at 9, so i increased it to 10 guage. the tone became a little fatter, but the problem is still there , it still sounds very trebely and thin. another thing about the PU is that it "produces?" alot of harmonics ( which isnt much of a problem ).

so is it normal to sound like this? or is there a problem with my wiring , electronics or pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: why does my crunch lab sound so thin and trebley?

Some bridge pickups will sound thin and trebly further up the fretboard. It's just their design. Neck pickups are going to give you a fatter, warmer sound further up the fretboard due to their position on your guitar.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

its weird because i used to have emgs and they dont have this weird sound on the higher frets
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobkerpal View Post
its weird because i used to have emgs and they dont have this weird sound on the higher frets
That's because EMGs are lifeless chunks of crap...lol.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM

Reviews: 11

Try rolling your guitar's tone knob down to 7 or so and see what that does for you. All controls on 10 can get a little too bright with some pickups.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 AM

I haven't noticed this with the JP6's I own... since you mention an almost quacky effect on the higher strings, you probably have the bar towards the bridge - flipping it around should solve that problem. It also depends on your rig and settings however.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Reviews: 25

What position do you have the bar in ? Closer to the bridge or the opposite ?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

the bar magnet is facing towards the neck , it honestly very weird, even my friend made a comment on how trebly it sounded, i tried adjusting the pickup height , but it didnt really make a significant change
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 AM

Reviews: 25

Sounds like the wiring may have been done wrong because facing the neck should be less treble...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Sounds like the wiring may have been done wrong because facing the neck should be less treble...
is there any way i can check it out to confirm myself? cause i dont really have much knowledge about the electronics and wirings of guitars, and i dont wanna f it up
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Did you use the DiMarzio wiring diagram or wired them as the previous pickups were wired? This could be a problem because the wiring color coding could be different and the JP100 doesn't use the same switch.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM

+1 on axemanrio's comment above

This is just a stab in the dark, but maybe the pickup was wired in reverse phase ? (that produces a thin, quacky sound doesn't it ?, please correct me if I have that wrong). I'm not sure how to verify that without actually digging up a wiring diagram or cutting and re-wiring it to compare the difference in sound.
Also, is it humming a lot or is it quiet ? (maybe both coils aren't running).
And, if you tap the poles or bar with a hex wrench, does it sound like they are all active ?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Hey, I had a similar problem with my TZ pickup recently! But the guys here helped me out and i realised that my pickup was in parallel. It oughts to be in normal series. I got the guitar re-wired, following the correct wiring diagrams and it now sounds good. Just saying, incase you have to same problem. Best is the check the current wiring against the diagram from dimarzio web site. Good luck!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

okok ill try my best to rectify the situation myself! thanks alot for the input guys, thanks a bunch!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

not sure if this is relavant, but i always get a slight electricution/ shock when i rest my arm on the bridge trem. always

and i did not wire it myself, the pickups were installed on site the shop i bought it from.

Tags
dimarzio crunch lab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode