Wich DiMarzio for Higher sounds on mahogany? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Wich DiMarzio for Higher sounds on mahogany?

Hey hey !

I need your help please, I'm trying to pick the right DiMarzio ! (Or something else, Suhr maybe ?)

I would like to have the sound who talks in my head (Schyzophrenia? Who knows !)
I realy love my JVM410 with V30 (Marshall 1960AV) (Maybe a bit trebly for some fusion tunes and stuf but the guys of the forum realy helped me to improve that (I'm still trying !). I realy love this amp.
But it stills miss something..

Recently I bought an Ibanez RG3120 in Deep Red (Wonderfull !) Year : 2001.
The matter is the Ibanez is very Les Paulish (Mahogany/Flammed Mapple Top/ Rosewood board) and it has a Tone Zone who have 8 bass 9 mids et 5 trebl (I think).
So that's the matter, for a Paul Gilbert kind of sounds, very very tight and very high.. It's not very good. Micro who lacks of treble, woods who are warm and dark.. I think I prefear my V8 haha !

So the reason I'm here is : Do you think I can equilibrate all that stuff ? Or give an huge boost to the highs ? (treble? Sorry i'm Frensh I don't know how to say it !) But not harsh highs, smooths like Gilbert's ones.
Or It's better to re sell my guitar and buy anotherone with brighter woods ?

It hurts me because I realy love this guitar, I'm searching one since a year. The colour and finition are realy awesome and the confort is just perfect for me.. But the sound is definitely too dark and too "bassy" (low) for my. I love highs and mids !

Wich Di Marzio would be better for me on the bridge? Maybe a DiMarzio close to the V8 but without his defaults..

A little video to guid you. I love the sound when he starts jaming over his bluesy rythmic, very opened sound and high (maybe not enough high for me haha !). "Opened" I hope you understand my poor english haha.
youtube.com/watch?v=_GObVnzJAKk
This kind of sounds + the JVM original grain would sound pretty awesome I think (and hope).

If I take a micro like Super 2 with 4 in bass and 8 in trebl, It will sound like an old radio with no bass? :/ I'm a little afraid of that.

Air Classic ? Evo 2 ? Evo ? Paf Pro? Transition ? Super Distorsion ? Super 2 ? So many pick ups ..

Thank you very much and sorry for my english !

Ren.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Wich DiMarzio for Higher sounds on mahogany?

Before you try switching pickups install a 0.01uf capacitor between the red Tone Zone wire and the pickup selector. The capacitor will act as a low pass filter, and will cut the low end, and help get rid of the mud you are experiencing.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Before you try switching pickups install a 0.01uf capacitor between the red Tone Zone wire and the pickup selector. The capacitor will act as a low pass filter, and will cut the low end, and help get rid of the mud you are experiencing.
Hey thanks ! But I don't know how to weld and I don't want to break something :/ I don't have anything to weld and limited money.
But du you have some videos to see if it sounds good please? I can't find it on internet
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 AM

Search google for my blog. Taming the Tone Zone. My blog is my username. There's some sound samples in my posts about it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 AM

Is the pickup close to the strings ?
If yes try to lower it a bit.
I have Tone Zone in mahogany and it works fine.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren.Road View Post
If I take a micro like Super 2 with 4 in bass and 8 in trebl, It will sound like an old radio with no bass? :/ I'm a little afraid of that.
Probably. It's quite trebly and thin sounding in the neck, so imagine that in the bridge position...

I'd go with my favourite... Evo 2. Mahogany demands clarity and ceramic magnets IMO.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 2

Put an equalizer in your signal chain....... the Boss GE7 will do everything you want and you wont have to take apart a wonderful guitar.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...4&ParentId=257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvVPhjcBt0A
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all !
I think i'll take the Evo 2 or the Air Classic, I can't decide..

The TZ is not very close to the strings and it's a good pick up but it's too dark for me.

Maybe take an EQ would be the best thing to do i'll try it !

Anyone has tested the Super Distorsion in a mahogany superstrat please?

Thanks!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM

Lower the pickup and raise the pole-pieces too. This can help accentuate the high frequencies while lowering the bass frequencies.

Alternatively you could perform the half-air mod on the pickup.You won't need to de-solder the pickup, just slowly and carefully dismantle the pickup and put it back together after removing the spacer bar and putting in something to keep the magnet to one side.

http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/03/m...zio-tone-zone/

http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/07/m...-half-air-mod/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Lower the pickup and raise the pole-pieces too. This can help accentuate the high frequencies while lowering the bass frequencies.

Alternatively you could perform the half-air mod on the pickup.You won't need to de-solder the pickup, just slowly and carefully dismantle the pickup and put it back together after removing the spacer bar and putting in something to keep the magnet to one side.

http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/03/m...zio-tone-zone/

http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/07/m...-half-air-mod/
It's reversible ? because if I don't like it on the end I wound be able to sell it
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren.Road View Post
It's reversible ? because if I don't like it on the end I wound be able to sell it
Yes. all of LonePhantoms mods are reversible. That's the beauty of the work he does.........
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM

And I don't know why you wouldn't be able to sell them. People do buy modified pickups when they want that sound. but are just too afraid to try doing it for themselves.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks a lot. Hmm I don't know, i'm a little afraid too but I think i'll do it. We'll see !
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Every time someone says they don't like something about the Tone Zone, it's their rig.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Every time someone says they don't like something about the Tone Zone, it's their rig.
Not always. I've had a guitar that just didn't gel with a Tone Zone, that's why I embarked on the modification spree with it. Put it back to stock and installed it into another guitar and it was amazing. In the wrong guitar it can sound off.

Tags
rg 3120 ibanez prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode