Wire RG520 Les Paul style with concentric pots(help) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Wire RG520 Les Paul style with concentric pots(help)

Any wiring gurus, I could use your help..
Trying to figure out how to wire my RG520 with dual humbuckers so that I have independent volume and tone control for each pickup (Like a Les Paul would have). I would like to try and use concentric pots/stacked knobs, and keep the parallel positions on the 5way.

Heres a pic with the idea of what I'm trying to do ****edit I haven't posted enough here to be allowed to post a link... Here's where its hosted imgur.com/YhVPN

If anyone has done this mod or has thoughts on how to wire this please respond. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Wire RG520 Les Paul style with concentric pots(help)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=concentric+pot+wiring
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 AM

You can use the same diagram as used for separate pots,dual stacked pots are just stuck together. Make sure you get pots with 3/8 threaded shaft length,1/4 inch threaded shaft as in CTS stacked concentric pots, are too short and can only be used for pick guard mounting. IMO dual stacked pot in the volume pot hole sticks up too high and is dysfunctional as it gets in the way of picking,palm muting and the trem bar.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys are awesome

Quote:
IMO dual stacked pot in the volume pot hole sticks up too high and is dysfunctional
This is a good point. Think I could get away with just the independent volume knobs and EQ everything through my rig?

OR push-pull pots?

Last edited by massatari; 07-13-2012 at 11:21 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massatari View Post

Think I could get away with just the independent volume knobs and EQ everything through my rig?

OR push-pull pots?
You could do that but if I'm reading this right I think you were looking for finger tip control of volume and tone for each pup at the guitar. I wanted that too but a stacked pot in the volume hole wouldn't work for me. The compromise that does work for me was to use the original volume control wired for the bridge pup and put a stacked concentric pot in the tone pot hole. This gave me individual volume control,which was more important than individual tone control, and a single tone control for both pups. The stacked pot in the tone hole has the top knob wired for volume for the neck pup and the lower knob for tone for both pups. Anyway, that's what I came up with.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Push pull pots won't give you what you're looking for. They are just pots with a switch. You can't wire them for independent control like you described.
Go for the concentric pots--you can get mini versions to allow for cavity space.

If you have trouble finding them--search for dual ganged pots.
Mammoth Electronics has them...among others.

Tags
rg520

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode