Wiring 2 HB's to a Dimarzio EP1104 (5-way, 8 terminals) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Wiring 2 HB's to a Dimarzio EP1104 (5-way, 8 terminals)

Hi Folks,

I've gone out to several shops in my area looking for the trusty Dimarzio multipole 5-way switch (EP1112) to replace the 3-way that is in my Jackson Dinky. For whatever reason, no one seems to have it. Anyways, I bought the old-style 5-way switch (Dimarzio EP1104), with 4 terminals on two sides. For reference, I'm working with a Mo' Joe/Paf-Joe combination, which sound brilliant in my alder Dinky, but I want more tonal options. I've already done about a dozen pickup swaps, so the installation process is not a problem for me.

I want to explore some wiring setups on my own, and in order to do this, I need to know the practical function of Dimarzio's humbucker wiring. I know that red is hot, etc.... but, I want to know which wire activates which coil.

Does the red supply juice to both coils?
Does the black (or white) supply juice to one coil, with the remaining wire supplying juice to the other coil?

Or another way to ask; which wire "activates" both coils at the same time? Which wire "activates" the lower coil? Which wire "activates" the upper coil?

Is my logic on par, or am I completely off the map on this?

I've looked around on the internet a fair bit for this information, but couldn't find anything conclusive. I'm not looking for a "this wire goes there" or "you should use this diagram" type of explanation....I need to know the fundamentals. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 PM

Re: Wiring 2 HB's to a Dimarzio EP1104 (5-way, 8 terminals)

I know that the bare is the wire from the shield to ground. I'm pretty sure the red is the hot for the whole pickup, and the green is the ground for the whole pickup. The black and white are separate for one coil. Thus, when they are connected together, they have no effect (as if the humbucker were a standard 2-conductor). But when you wire that part of the circuit to ground, you are, in effect, deactivating that coil.

At least that's how I've always interpreted it, FWIW.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I spent more time trying to dig up something more concrete about all of this.

This might be the answer:
http://www.hotrodguitars.com/WireCode.htm

Cheers
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM

E-mail dimarzio man they're great for support
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I did the rewiring last night, and I decided to go with:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...vol_1tone_5way

The additional selections sound great, and the Dimarzio switch itself also seems to improve the overall tone for whatever reason.

Dimarzio needs to improve its website a bit, they need to centralize their wiring diagrams like Seymour Duncan (or Ibanez for that matter). Oh yeah, a diagram for EP1104 would be wise too...as opposed to the magical disappearing EP1112 (has it been discontinued?).

Cheers

Tags
jackson dinky , seymour duncan , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode