wiring for 2 volumes, no tone - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

wiring for 2 volumes, no tone

Is it possible to wire a 5 way switch(RG550) so I can have a volume controlling the bridge, and a volume controlling the neck and middle pickup, instead of 1 volume and 1 tone. Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:29 AM

Re: wiring for 2 volumes, no tone

There are a couple of ways to do this. It all comes down to what kind of functionality you are looking for. I mean you could wire the bridge pickup to a pot and then go straight to the output jack. But that would pretty much make your 5-way switch half useless.

OR you could just wire the bridge to a pot and then goto the toggle switch like normal. But with that solution you would end up having one volume for your bridge and then a master volume once again. Realistically you would need 3 pots, or 1 normal pot and one push-pull or dual-concentric pot.

Alternatively you could also use a 3-way switch for your neck & middle pickups, and then wire your bridge pickup direct to the output jack.

(or you could just have a volume for your neck and one for your bridge and your middle pickup full on but only active when your 5-way switch is on positions 2-3-4)

Ok........ I'm giving you too many options now aren't I?? (I should really finish writing that book on guitar wiring and stuff, I really can't keep track of all these wiring options in my brain anymore..)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:08 PM

Re: wiring for 2 volumes, no tone

actually im going to do a mod like that on a RG270... one volume for the bridge, and one for the neck.... the middel one actually i dont really use it too much...

im going to do it directly from the pickup to the pot... and from the pot to the 5 way switch... be carefull change the tone pot to a linear 500k pot... the tone one isnt lineal, so it will behave different... also i was thinking to have pull pots, and when pulled to have a resistor and act like low-vol, for warm overdrives, rythm gtr... things like that.. havent figured out how many ohmns on the resistor for that mod...

see ya

Tags
bridge pickup , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode