Wiring for coiltap - noob needs help:) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw

Wiring for coiltap - noob needs help:)

Hello there I have a Jackson DK2 which I have customized with an OFR and (almost) all black hardware..looks wicked Anyway, I need some help with wiring as I'm getting new PUs for it as well..and I'm a noob

I have a Duncan distortion in bridge and will get a couple of SD Classic stack (plus) humbucking singlecoils for middle position and neck position in a few days. I want the bridge humbucker and middle singlecoil activated in the switchers second position, but I want the bridge to coiltap like on lots of jems (FP).

Now I wonder if this will cancel out the humbucking effect of the bridge humbucker and be noizy?

Anyway, this is how Iīd like the switching:

1st position: bridge humbucker
2nd position: bridge humbucker coil tapped + middle single coil
3rd position: middle single coil
4th position: middle single coil + neck single coil
5th position: neck single coil

Pretty basic away from the 2nd position..

Can anyone help me out with any wiring tips, especially for the coiltaping part? The switch has 8 "posts" (or whatever they are called) for wires, but I don't know where to put them.. never done this before. help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Re: Wiring for coiltap - noob needs help:)

Try this- it's essentially a hybrid of the Jem wiring for splitting the bridge humbucker in position 2 and leaving everything else alone. I combined the wiring schematic from here and one from SD so I'd get the colors right...

That being said, you never know with electronics! If someone else wants to fix my drawing, have at it- the more the merrier!

Oh yeah, GREY wires are WHITE in real life.

Have fun!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw

thank you so much!

I got my singlecoils today and realized they didn't have the open holes but threaded holes for screws, so I had to drill out the threads, but it worked out beautifully! Haha and another thing was that the middle and neck cavities was too tight for the singlecoils to fit, so I had to sand down the walls a bit. As if that wasn't enough, the middle cavity isn't deep enough, so that has to be taken care of as well:P

Anyway this is my first time modding a guitar and I'm enjoying all the challenges.. Maybe I should put out some pictures from the process when finished

This will for sure become a franken(super)strat
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw View Post
thank you so much!
You're quite welcome! I just hope I didn't cross the wiring too badly in the schematic... It'll just sound crappy. That's the beauty of pickup wiring- if it sounds bad, just move some stuff around (well, with a certain degree of care...)!

Quote:
I got my singlecoils today and realized they didn't have the open holes but threaded holes for screws, so I had to drill out the threads, but it worked out beautifully! Haha and another thing was that the middle and neck cavities was too tight for the singlecoils to fit, so I had to sand down the walls a bit. As if that wasn't enough, the middle cavity isn't deep enough, so that has to be taken care of as well:P
If it's not one thing it's a thousand things ! Still, the more of those little things I get to do, the more I enjoy the guitar when it's done- always worth the effort...

Quote:
Anyway this is my first time modding a guitar and I'm enjoying all the challenges.. Maybe I should put out some pictures from the process when finished
Um... yeah! People 'round these parts like their pics!

Quote:
This will for sure become a franken(super)strat
Don't let Eddie's lawyers hear you...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw

yeah guess I will hear from them in some years when my guitar becomes famous hehexD

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil tap , duncan distortion , neck position , pickup wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode