Wiring D-Activator bridge - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Wiring D-Activator bridge

Hey guys just purchased my Dimarzio D-activator for the bridge of my Ibanez RG08ltd. It has the v7/v8 combo in it, iv only replaced hte bridge pickup so far untill i can afford my liquifire!

I have wired it in EXACTLY as it says in the diagrams, but i removed the neck pickup from the equation completely as it seemed that it could become overly complicated wiring the ibanez pickup neck in with the new dimarzio bridge. When i plugged it in, no matter what position the selector switch is in i get literally no sound.

My question is. Do you NEED both pickups to be in the guitar to complete the circuit? Or should it be working fine with the ONE bridge pickup wired in as per the instructions but without its partner in crime?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Re: Wiring D-Activator bridge

It would be fine by itself. My guess is that it isn't grounded correctly. Get enough posts and post a pic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM

why did you take the neck pickup out ? I see no need for that.

and if you only have one pickup are you using the switch ?

what wiring diagram are you using ?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Basically i got a wiring diagram from dimarzio for a very similar ibanez. Its one with 2 humbuckers and a 5 way switch. But the neck pickup i already have wired in is in the way of where the wires for the dimarzio bridge pickup need to go? So i figured it would be best to remove the neck from the equation for the time being, and have my bridge pickup wired in EXACTLY as it says on the diagram.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM

I would follow the old wiring rather than the wiring diagram,
all passive pickups are more or less the same,
2 coil tap wires then you have a live wire and an earth.

just put the d-activator wires where the old bridge pickup wires went,
and put the neck pickup back how it was, you may be lucky and find you like the combinations.

if you just want it to work you can just join the black and white coil tap wires together,
connect green and bare to earth on the jack and red to live on the jack,
no switch vol or tone pots but nice and loud and bright.

if you give a link to the diagram you are using we might be able to help a bit more,
do you want a coil tap, series / parallel combos etc ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Oh dear its just occured to me how much iv ballsed this up. I thought that the new pickup would wire in differently to the old one as the instructions seemed to dictate otherwise!! But it makes sense that the wiring would stay the same. I don't even know how to put it back how it was now.

Does anybody have a diagram for my guitar? This is the one iv been using http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul.../RG520-DiM.pdf . I thought that since it has 2 humbuckers and a 5 way switch the wiring would be the same as mine? FML!!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM

I'd say there's a good chance you wired it backwards, and that would explain why you aren't getting any sound. Let's see if I can explain this clearly. First off, it's a custom switch Ibanez uses on their 2 pickup guitars. It'll function something like this (it might not be exactly like that, you can check with a multimeter):

Notice that the commons are the 1st and 5th lug as oppossed to a normal switch, where it'd be the 4th and 5th.

So if you're hot wire is soldered to the 4th lug from the left in my picture, sound would only be possible in the 2nd picture's position. Try mirroring your current solder points. I mean switch the 1st with the 8th, 2nd with the 7th, etc... It'd be much easier if you could just takes some pictures for us to see.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 12-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou so much for all your help and quick responses. I went back to it with a fresh outlook and went through the wiring a few times. Realised i had everything around the right way, BUT my volume pot was around the opposite way to in the diagram! Wich would explain all of the problems! It works absolutely fine now and is a lovely pickup. Now just waiting for the Liquifire to arrive . Thanks again fellas!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 AM

well done,
Happy Christmas and a noisy new year.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis08ltd View Post
Thankyou so much for all your help and quick responses. I went back to it with a fresh outlook and went through the wiring a few times. Realised i had everything around the right way, BUT my volume pot was around the opposite way to in the diagram! Wich would explain all of the problems! It works absolutely fine now and is a lovely pickup. Now just waiting for the Liquifire to arrive . Thanks again fellas!
Only if you posted pics earlier. All of us would have instantly seen the problem . Glad you got it fixed, enjoy. Let us know how much you like the pickup. Ill be getting another one soon, and I'm not sure what to get.

Tags
d activator , pickups , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode