Wiring the ground to avoid hum? help - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Wiring the ground to avoid hum? help

Hope this chicken scratch pic i made up shows up. Made it just to get opinions cuz Im about ready to wire in my Motherbucker but didnt see any posts on actual Grounding info other than a few tidbits & this "ground loop" concept has always baffled me & i wanna avoid it at all costs.
Is it true that any time your ground wire connects to one point & then loops Back to another point,it can cause this hum effect? Im gona try running in a straight a line as I can with the basic grounding method and then the pickup grounds will go to the back of the pot (whcih will be grounded by the simple 1 wire run from trem to switch to vol to output).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: Wiring the ground to avoid hum? help

sorry, the tiny print says "which pic will provide better grounding & less hum?"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You've got it right!
Grounds go to the flat surface of the pot

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
You've got it right!
Grounds go to the flat surface of the pot

But can the ground run from trem claw,swtch,vol pot,output jack be all one wire & the pickup grounds go to the back of the pot? or run ALL grounds to the back of pot?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

All grounds to back of pot.
Will be really hard to use one wire.
Run separate wires from trem claw--ground, etc.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

what I did on a guitar I had a few years ago,which I sold , I had 1 wire which started at the trem plate & rather than having a bare wire,I simply stripped just enough to bare the area where i would be soldering to & ran it to the switch & the pot & out to the jack. looking back it didnt seem to mater much in the quest for hum free operation. Im quite the low level solder-er
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
All my older guitars are wired this way, but on newer guitars with VLX91 switches, Ibanez wires the ground to the switch.

I bring this up because one of my newer guitars with that switch has a hum issue. Anyone move the grounds on these switches over to the pot?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

What about the old Les Paul style metal plate? Kinda cool to not have Any wires to the back of the pot ,instead they all go to the metal plate which the switch & pots are mounted to.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
All my older guitars are wired this way, but on newer guitars with VLX91 switches, Ibanez wires the ground to the switch.

I bring this up because one of my newer guitars with that switch has a hum issue. Anyone move the grounds on these switches over to the pot?
Yes--there should always be a ground to the switch to eliminate the hum.
I was referring to the pickups and claw.
The switch should be included in the ground loop, as you need to have every electronic component grounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
What about the old Les Paul style metal plate? Kinda cool to not have Any wires to the back of the pot ,instead they all go to the metal plate which the switch & pots are mounted to.
Fixed bridge guitars usually have the ground going to a small plate, or a screw that's embedded in the body.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Yeah I know that. What I'm saying is that on all my old guitars, the ground of the pickups always goes to the volume pot. On the newer guitar, the grounds from both humbuckers go to the switch. So they're relying on the switch for grounding.

I'm thinking about ditching the whole stupid VLX91 and just sticking a VLX53 in there, even though it's the "wrong" switch. It's totally standard switching anyway, so I'm getting absolutely zero benefit from the overly complex switch.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Yeah I know that. What I'm saying is that on all my old guitars, the ground of the pickups always goes to the volume pot. On the newer guitar, the grounds from both humbuckers go to the switch. So they're relying on the switch for grounding.

I'm thinking about ditching the whole stupid VLX91 and just sticking a VLX53 in there, even though it's the "wrong" switch. It's totally standard switching anyway, so I'm getting absolutely zero benefit from the overly complex switch.
I noticed that on a VLX91 switch, too. I just wired the grounds to the vol pot on one of my puzzletops when I did the new DiMarzio Steve Lukather pickups review.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Im considering cuting out some sheet metal the shape of the cavity,like the old LPs & rather than solder (whihc has been the FAILED portion of every guitar project I take on , but rather than solder........just use short sheet metal scres & run all grounds to that sandwhiched under a fat textures steel washer,and ofcoarse the switch & pot would be grounded by the sheet metal. but ATLEAST i could use something Mechanical to use to ground with. I HATE soldering & can not successfully do it. Its a fine art that I suck at no matter how patient I am. Im always up for any ideas that requires less soldering.

Tags
hum hiss mod guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode