Wiring help - pics inside - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Wiring help - pics inside

Hi Guys,
I was trying to wire up a guitar preferably in JPM style with a 3-way tele style blade switch instead of the Les Paul type 3 way that's normally used.

I originally tried to wire it up using a schematic found on ProjectGuitar.com found here: http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/jpmwire.htm

I had absolutely no luck wiring it up this way at all.
I ended up using an Ibanez wiring diagram and got it to this point:

http://jimosity.tzo.com/wiring2.jpg

In this setup, position 1 and 3 are correct, but position 2 has NO SIGNAL.
While sounding great in position 1 and 3, there is an uncommon buzzing but everything seems to be grounded correctly.

If anybody can help me figure this one out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 08:11 AM

Re: Wiring help - pics inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMoSiTY
In this setup, position 1 and 3 are correct, but position 2 has NO SIGNAL.
sounds like the series link for the coil cut is not being connected to hot. reverse the hot and ground wire coming out of each pickup. the hot wire is the one soldered alone/by itself to the switch [i.e. not in a pair with another colored pickup wire], and the ground wire is the COLORED wire that you've soldered to the volume pot casing.

Quote:
While sounding great in position 1 and 3, there is an uncommon buzzing but everything seems to be grounded correctly.
hrm -- that sounds like something else may be off. try the above and see how it goes.

the default wiring instructions for DiMarzio and Duncan always use a wire from the inner coil as the hot, but this DiMarzio diagram instead uses a wire from the outer coil, and then makes the coil cut for the single coil sound by connecting both series links to hot. [you may have to do it that way, since the middle position of the switch is a common to connect both pickups]. all that gibberish means that to wire this DiMarzio diagram, you would have needed to swap the hot and ground wires for each pickup from their likely stock configurations. if you didn't come across that, that may be why it didn't work for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

hrm

I tried what you suggested, the buzzing SEEMED to be a little less than before, but same results, sounded great in position 1 and 3, but no signal in position 2.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 04:30 PM

I can't tell from your pic, but you could be making the "hot jump" across the wrong tabs. That would mean that only in position 1 and 3 would you get the connection between the pickup hot and and the volume pot. And from the looks of it, that would be the single coil tone you'd be getting, hence the hum. To analyze it, you have to look at the switch and see which tab is always making contact, while the other three are connected by the throw of the switch. One thing I can tell already, though, is that the coil jump wires would need to be connected to the "middle" tab no matter what. In other words, they would be next to the hot, and yours have a tab between them. The project guitar diagram looks right, and if you look, it's got the hot jump opposite to yours.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Let's try this

OK - Let's try this since I'm working on another guitar with the same pickups only, this one with a Schaller 5 Way switch...

In DiMarzio color codes, what should these be?

2 humbuckers

Point # Wire assignment
1 empty
2 neck pickup hot wire
3 output to volume pot
4 ground to volume pot
5 neck pickup coil tap
6 bridge pickup coil tap
7 bridge pickup hot wire

I assumed that the coil taps are red and the hot wires are black and white, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Jeez. Anybody know?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 AM

Re: Let's try this

Quote:
I assumed that the coil taps are red and the hot wires are black and white, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
the series link, which is the coil cut wires, in a 4 conductor pickup is always going to be a pair of wires, and the hot wire in any pickup will always be one wire. so, for example in that DiMarzio diagram, on the bridge humbucker, the white is hot and the red + green is the series link for the coil cut [and black goes to ground].

you also will notice that for the neck humbucker in that diagram, it's different, or "opposite": black + white is the series link and red is the hot [with green to ground]. the neck humbucker has to be wired with the coils working in the opposite direction in order to have the two inner coils JPM middle position be hum canceling. you'll find that in any 2 humbucker guitar that has coil cut combinations in the middle switch positions [RG7620, etc], but in a 2 humbucker guitar where the middle position is just both humbuckers full on [Les Paul, etc], it doesn't matter.

you can use those bridge and neck assignments for hot and series link to wire your Megaswitch. exactly which coils you get in the middle position can be changed by swapping the hot and ground wires -- the Megaswitch instructions and the pictures in the Stewart MacDonald catalog don't agree.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

First of all, thanks for your help in this, I appreciate your knowledge.

Switches have always been something that kind of baffle me, so I'm determined to understand the logic (along with pickup wiring).
Since I'm a huge EMG fan, just about everything I own has EMGs in it, which I can wire up without any problems, it's these variables that get thrown in when dealing with 4 conductor pickups that show my lack of knowledge.

OK:
So, if I'm using the Schaller 5-Way Megaswitch, like this (I'll number the lugs to make it easier to reference)

To wire this up, I would attach the following:

LUG 1 - EMPTY
LUG 2 - NECK PICKUP (WHITE)
LUG 3 - OUTPUT TO VOLUME
LUG 4 - GROUND
LUG 5 - NECK PICKUP (GREEN+RED)
LUG 6 - BRIDGE PICKUP (GREEN+RED)
LUG 7 - BRIDGE PICKUP (WHITE)

I would then have the blacks and grounds going to ground.

Should I assume this is correct if I am NOT going to wire it up with the JPM style coil tapping?
What I believe I understand thus far is this should work and then if I want to change what coils are tapped, I would swap the black and white wires, correct?

Should there be any jumps between lugs?? I don't believe so, but I'm not sure.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM

Re: Thanks

Quote:
So, if I'm using the Schaller 5-Way Megaswitch,

LUG 1 - EMPTY
LUG 2 - NECK PICKUP (WHITE)
LUG 3 - OUTPUT TO VOLUME
LUG 4 - GROUND
LUG 5 - NECK PICKUP (GREEN+RED)
LUG 6 - BRIDGE PICKUP (GREEN+RED)
LUG 7 - BRIDGE PICKUP (WHITE)

I would then have the blacks and grounds going to ground.

Should I assume this is correct if I am NOT going to wire it up with the JPM style coil tapping?
What I believe I understand thus far is this should work and then if I want to change what coils are tapped, I would swap the black and white wires, correct?

Should there be any jumps between lugs?? I don't believe so, but I'm not sure.
first of all, the Megaswitch "S" model that you show a picture of is for strat style switching between 3 pickups -- that is not a normal choice for two humbuckers. you might prefer the "P" model Megaswitch which gives PRS combinations out of two humbuckers, or the "E" model which is designed for H/S/H like a JEM, but can also work with H/H pickups and give lots of single coil settings alone [not combined with other coils].

as for your wiring, you're using the same wire colors for hot and series link on both bridge and neck pickups. this may not work, but it's impossible to know without knowing exactly how your neck pickup is installed. your wiring above is a good starting point, but you may need to swap the hot and ground wires with the series link to get things right [solder hot and colored ground together as new series link; split the current series link into one hot and one ground, use trial and error to find which is which].

if you are getting the wrong coils, swapping the hot and colored ground will change which coils are activated.

with a Megaswitch, you are correct that you don't need any jumpers -- the internal contacts in the switch, the little copper traces you can see on the circuit board, are making those connections for you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Update

OK - I ordered the "E" and "P" model Schaller switches from Stew-Mac and they arrived yesterday, I'm going to wire it up with the "E" first to see how that goes.

Didn't you say something about the wiring diagram not being correct according to their website?? <which is also the same diagram they sent with the switch>.

Thanks a million!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:52 AM

Re: Update

Quote:
OK - I ordered the "E" and "P" model Schaller switches from Stew-Mac and they arrived yesterday, I'm going to wire it up with the "E" first to see how that goes.

Didn't you say something about the wiring diagram not being correct according to their website?? <which is also the same diagram they sent with the switch>.
sorry, i wasn't real clear about that -- the sketch of what coils come on in what switch positions, in their catalog and on their website, doesn't exactly match the coils you actually get if you follow the default wiring instructions from DiMarzio and Duncan about which wire is hot and which colored wire goes to ground [the wiring instructions that come with the Megaswitch are correct]. if you get a wierd combination of coils, swap the hot and the colored ground for the pickup you want to change.

with the E model, the middle position is designed to give the two outer coils of two humbuckers, which sounds bright and chimey like a Tele. if you would rather have the two inner coils, the JPM clean sound, then do the hot/colored ground swap on _both_ pickups. this will also give you the bridge coil of the bridge humbucker in the single coil alone #4 position, which sounds sharper and more thick than the neck coil of the bridge HB anyway.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

THX!

Thanks man, you really know your stuff!!!
I truly appreciate all the information you've shared with me.

I have been a die hard EMG fan for years and have 40+ guitars in my collection now, 99.9% of them have EMGs but since I got this Prestige with a Fred/PAF Pro, I'm seriously thinking of getting back into the passive pickups realm. I really loved the tone they got.

Next up is a Jem that should arrive any day - I'm thinking maybe Air Norton / Blue Velvet / Fred for that one...
We'll see!

Tags
air norton , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , humbucker guitar , ibanez wiring diagram , inner coils , les paul , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf pro , pickup wiring , strat style , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode