wiring help please input jack issue - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
wiring help please input jack issue

Ok. I completely rewired an old 550. New CTS pots. Linear volume. Audio tone. New capacitors 223 tone, 331 volume. New Barrel jack. Original vintage pickups in neck and middle and new Tone Zone for the bridge. Everything works fine with the cable plugged about 3/4 of the way into the jack. Once you push the cable in all the way I lose everything. Using a Dimarzio HSH diagram. Just can't figure out what is going on. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:30 PM

Re: wiring help please input jack issue

Sounds like you have a TRS jack, there are three pins, no? Switch your hot signal wire from the pin that it's soldered to to the remaining pin.

-m
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 AM

because there a few different barrel jacks out there i always just take the jack by itself and plug it in to an amp and touch the terminals. two will be ground and one is hot. The one that is hot will make a popping sound when you touch it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Reviews: 2

I agree with Mr. Coffe, as I do every morning....LOL.

It has to be at the jack. If your sure you have the pinout correct, the jack may be bad.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

It does the same thing with the jack that was in there as well as the new allparts barrel jack. I'm thinking they may both be stereo jacks for the EMG wiring that was in there. Gonna take the jack out of my RG750 and see if that works.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
It does the same thing with the jack that was in there as well as the new allparts barrel jack. I'm thinking they may both be stereo jacks for the EMG wiring that was in there. Gonna take the jack out of my RG750 and see if that works.
Befoe doing that, switch the hot out to the open lug. it should work for you.

with the stereo jacks there are two hot out's one for the ring and one for the tip of a stereo plug. Since your using a mono plug/cable there's no ring on it. when you get most of the way in, your making contact with the "ring pin". Once the plug is fully inserted, you lose that contact with the tip.

If you have a continuity tester, you'll see exactly how the stereo jack works.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I looked up the part number for the allparts barrel jack GC sold me. Yep. Stereo jack. I had an extra gold mono jack and, whala, works like it should. No matter how I wired the stereo jack up, it always cut out when fully plugged in. Learn something new everyday.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 PM

Good for you man! I've had trouble with various stereo jacks in the past. It's entirely possible the one you have is bad.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 PM

Here's another way to solve your jack problem. I found this in a guitar I bought some years ago.

This looked like a nice jack from the outside. I liked how it sat with a little black bushing supporting the metal.

Then I opened the control cavity. Wha?

It was a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that was shoved into the jack hole. Someone then soldered the guitar hot and ground wires to the tip and sleeve of the 1/8 jack. Nuts!

The adapter had been shaved enough to fit the jack hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode