wiring issue with 2 humbucker 1 single coil - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

wiring issue with 2 humbucker 1 single coil

I bought a set of dragonfire pickups 2 phat humbuckers and a single coil and it came with instructions for wiring which i have followed twice to no avail.
green = hot
black and bare = ground
red and white soldered together = tape off (no idea why)

When i wire the 2 humbuckers up with no single coil it sounds great (although middle position in the switch is dead) as soon as i connect the single coil the 4th position on the switch (bridge and middle) becomes extremely weak. All other positions seem to be workin ok (not as powerful as before without the single coil) but working well all the same.
The guitar only has 2 pots volume and tone. i grounded 1 humbucker to each pot then i had to stick the 2 ground wires from the single coil on a random pot (im guessing its probably the same 1 as the bridge is attached to)
Any suggestions as to what i have done wrong that would cause something like this to happen? i thought ground wires all touched together in the end so it doesnt matter if they share a pot for grounding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Re: wiring issue with 2 humbucker 1 single coil

Try swapping the single coil wires around. It might be backwards and causing it to be out of phase with the humbuckers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:51 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_McQ View Post
Try swapping the single coil wires around. It might be backwards and causing it to be out of phase with the humbuckers.
I agree. I'm wondering why the single would have 2 grounds though. Is it a stacked hum?? I would also be sure that there is a ground connecting both pots.

can you upload a copy of the directions they sent you? I couldn't find them online.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I agree. I'm wondering why the single would have 2 grounds though. Is it a stacked hum?? I would also be sure that there is a ground connecting both pots.

can you upload a copy of the directions they sent you? I couldn't find them online.
right ill give that a try now. i got no diagram from the site just a text description.
"The green is hot and goes to the switch. black and bare are both grounds. red and white are soldered together and need to be taped off not to touch anything."
The next part confused me and could be what im doing wrong.
"bridge north start-green end-red
south start- black end- white
neck north start-black end -white
south start- green south end-red"

hopefully ye guys know what it means

EDIT:
I tried swapping the wires around. the black to the switch and green to the pot didnt work BUT i tried this with a humbucker and it made a sound when the ground was touching the switch and hot touching the pot?? also they all seem to work fine without the bare wire touching anything

Last edited by dano1066; 07-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Reviews: 2

can you take pictures of each pup including the wires on each where they attach to the pups?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the single coil
nerdburglars.net/images/random/dan/2013-07-14%2018.53.54.jpg
The humbuckers are covered up with tape and this fabric stuff so i cant see the wiring for them
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

i finally got it sorted out. I completely unsoldered everything back to the way it was when i started. soldered the 2 humbuckers to the switch and the soldered the 2 ground wires to a single wire which i then soldered to the back of a pot then i chopped the bare wire off and covered it in tape and they work fine..should the bare have done something? i then messed with the single coil turns out ye were right swapping the wires around for the single coil worked it sounds great now. i also cut off the bare wire for the single coil too. could the bare wire have been causing this problem? i dunno if its bad that ive done this but i did and it sounds fine to me so it musnt have been importnat
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The diagram is backwards.
I posted that in the sticky at the top of this section.....

Tags
5 way switch , humbucker , single coil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode