Wiring Issuse's - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Issuse's

I was doing some work on my Ibanez Rg 7321(7-string). (I Disconnected the neck pick-up completely and took off the tone knob)
I was wondering if i disconnect the wires from the five way swicth if i will be able to still have a functioning guitar but with just a bridge pickup and a volume knob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 AM

Re: Wiring Issuse's

if u want it to be beefy

just remove the neck pickup and the 5 way and the tone

get a push pull 1 meg pot

wire one side of the pickup, usually the one closer to the bridge, to the second section of poles, usually assciated inthe spot where you pull out on the pot. then wire the other side to the bottom on the pot

then that gets wired to the jack

simple fix, pots can be aquaire at your local shop, exactly giving u a wiring diagram i dont know, i just know how to wire it up when i see it, someone here can help u with that im sure

you can also use the exsisting 5 way as a coil split while utilizing ur current volume pot

but geting a 1 meg push pull or even a regular pot willd ef beef up your tone and increase yur dynamics, also removes the extra 5 way cicuit out of the lopp cleaning up the signal path, some can argue that point, but i find it helps me.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 AM

To answer the question...
Yes you can remove the neck pickup, 5-way switch and tone control from your guitar and leave just bridge pickup and volume.
According to the Ibanez site, the red wire should be connected to the right hand tab of the volume pot as viewed from underneath with the tabs at the top.
The Blue wire and Braid should be connected to the left tab and pot body.
The Middle tab should be connected to the short tab of the output jack (tip) and the pot body should be connected to the long tab of the jack.
The black and white wires should be soldered together and insulated.
Make sure you don't disconnect the earth wire from the pot to the bridge as you go.
If you want you can use a 1 mega Ohm pot which will give slightly more treble (I wouldn't bother).
Jim
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM

i would have to argue heavily on that one

there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE IN DYNAMICS AND SOUND/tone with a 500k and a 1 meg pot

poeple refer to it as a little brighter but thats not true at all

if u had for example a 10k rated pickup
and u use a 500k volume pot alone, youd get somewhere alonghte rage of 8k rating at full volume
if u use a 1 meg pot you get somewhere along the range of 9k, and if u step up to a 2 meg pot you get a whopping 10k

you dont have to beleive it, but its true, ask dan torress, wich is a god in the guitar industry

dyanmic improve, tone improves, and the pikcups trully function how they were made to work....

some people swear that theres no difference other than brightness, but they never took the time to actually compare

along with the few others who claim nitro finishes are good for tone

a wopper if u ask me
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Dude, I wasn't meaning to disagree with you and yes of course things are more complicated when changing the values of control potentiometers, I'm sorry I oversimplified things.
I guess what I was trying to say is that I have become familiar with the sound of pickups when combined with the hitherto widely accepted values for the volume pot and in my opinion I would stick with what is provided, of course that is used in conjunction with a tone control so that will have an effect even when at maximum. Indeed I would already expect more power, punch and treble if the tone circuit is no longer used, perhaps increasing the volume pot value may be a step too far!
So my advise, try it without changing the pot, you should notice a change in tone, if that is pleasant but perhaps you'd like a bit more of a change then by all means use a higher value pot.
Of course there are no definite answers as to what is better or worse with guitars (in the same way that a strat is not better than a les paul, or vice-versa) and whatever gives you the sound you want with your gear is ok by me!
Jim
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
if u want it to be beefy

just remove the neck pickup and the 5 way and the tone

get a push pull 1 meg pot

wire one side of the pickup, usually the one closer to the bridge, to the second section of poles, usually assciated inthe spot where you pull out on the pot. then wire the other side to the bottom on the pot

then that gets wired to the jack

simple fix, pots can be aquaire at your local shop, exactly giving u a wiring diagram i dont know, i just know how to wire it up when i see it, someone here can help u with that im sure

you can also use the exsisting 5 way as a coil split while utilizing ur current volume pot

but geting a 1 meg push pull or even a regular pot willd ef beef up your tone and increase yur dynamics, also removes the extra 5 way cicuit out of the lopp cleaning up the signal path, some can argue that point, but i find it helps me.
Thanks but all i want is just the bridge and volume i really dont want the coil tap function
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

The origanal question re-frased is if i clip the wires from the 5-way will it sound normal and not coil tapped
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 AM

If you just clip the wires from the 5-way then you'll stop it working!
If you just want bridge pickup and volume the wire it up as I suggested in post #3.
Jim
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Now whats the difference between a 250k,500k,and a 1 meg pot.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 03:25 PM

The pickups in a guitar are inductors. one of the properties of inductors is their impedance.
Now impedance is rather like resistance, but varies with the frequency of the signal applied. Indictors have an impedance that increases as frequency increases.
This means that the pickup output will be reduced for high frequencies. The more coils of wire in the pickup the more this effect is, that's one of the reasons why single coil pickups sound brighter than humbuckers.
When you add a volume control you are further affecting the frequency response of the pickups. Higher values will decrease the load on the picklups and give a more powerful brighter response.
Generally single coils use 250k pots as they're quite bright already.
Humbuckers usually use 500k pots as they need to be prevented from sounding muddy.
If you like you can use a 1 meg pot you should get a brighter response if you want that.
The pot in your Ibanez is a 500k at the moment, you can buy other values from guitar parts places. I'd try the pot you already have and only change if you're unhappy.
Jim
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM

spoken as a true scientics, couldnt have said it better myself

other than, i like using 1 meg pots for humbuckers, but i also like using 2 meg pots for my x2n pickup for instance becasue it creates such a higher playing dynamic

Tags
bridge pickup , coil pickup , coil split , coil tap , les paul , meg pot , neck pickup , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode