Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Wiring an RG550 like a JPM

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  marianozz 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a wiring diagram for a JPM (EB/MM or Ibanez - I think it's the same). I'm rewiring my RG550 and decided to go the HH route and ditch the single.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

#5 ·
Kevan said:
Vaibanez said:
This can also be done with a 3-way tele switch.
True, but you won't be able to get that middle position/inner coil setting exclusive to the JPM's. You'll need that 12-lug toggle (available from your Ibanez dealer, and DiMarzio has one as well) to get true JPM switching.
Yep...you sure can. In fact, my LNG custom is wired like this. DiMarzio was kind enough to send me a diagram. I have since lost it, but can snap a pick of the setup or draw a diagram for you if you'd like. :)

BTW...good to see ya' back and active.

#6 ·
DiMarzio sent me the same diagram for wiring JPM-style with a tele switch, so if you want I can e-mail it to you guys.

I did have one other question rearding installing the pick-ups, what do you guys use to strip the covering/insulation off of the pick-up's conductor wires? they were too small for the wire stripper I had, does anyone happen to know what gauge they are? Also, I'm having a hard time with the soldering in general, toes anyone hae any tips on how to do it (especially soldering the conductors onto the tele switch)?

Thanks a bunch,

Robert

#14 ·
Not to interrupt the side conversation on part numbers, but anyone have any answers to my questions in the post above?

--> I did have one other question rearding installing the pick-ups, what do you guys use to strip the covering/insulation off of the pick-up's conductor wires? They were too small for the wire stripper I had, does anyone happen to know what gauge they are? Also, I'm having a hard time with the soldering in general, does anyone have any tips on how to do it (especially soldering the conductors onto the tele switch)?

Thanks a bunch,

Robert

www.causingproblems.com

#15 ·
Bingo! That's the one! thanks P4T4H!

I've been using an Xacto knife lately. Just apply a tiny bit of pressure in the colored sleeve where you want to strip it off. Then, bend the wire back and you can easily strip it off with your finger nail. The wires are thin though, so it takes VERY little pressure. Works like a champ!

#17 ·
jRob said:
what do you guys use to strip the covering/insulation off of the pick-up's conductor wires? They were too small for the wire stripper I had, does anyone happen to know what gauge they are?
i have no idea what size... they're too small for my regular stripper w/ predefined stripping sizes. i use an alternate striping tool that has two angled cutting edges and a screw adjustment that can handle any size (large/small) wires. not an expensive tool at radio shack, etc.

you can use your teeth, a serrated knife or any sharp edge to strip it if you can't find the right tools.

#20 ·
I use a standard table knife.
I lay tthe wire on the pad of my thumb with the flat side of the table knife on the wire. I then add a little presure so the wire lifts in front of the knife's teeth and gently pull the wire from the other side.

Works like a charm. Nice and clean with no wire loss.
Or.... I use my finger nails.

#21 ·
jRob said:
DiMarzio sent me the same diagram for wiring JPM-style with a tele switch, so if you want I can e-mail it to you guys.

I did have one other question rearding installing the pick-ups, what do you guys use to strip the covering/insulation off of the pick-up's conductor wires? they were too small for the wire stripper I had, does anyone happen to know what gauge they are? Also, I'm having a hard time with the soldering in general, toes anyone hae any tips on how to do it (especially soldering the conductors onto the tele switch)?

Thanks a bunch,

Robert
Yes please!!!
That would save me a lot of time taking apart my guitar.

Thanks.

#22 ·
Hey jRob, i just installed JPM pickups in my RG, with the standard 5way switch.

First time ever i did any actual work on my guitar, so, i was scared too.

You can burn the tip of the insulation, about 0.75 CM, and then slide it thru the hole in the switch, making a lil loop, and drop a drop (duh) of solder in there with a 30w iron.....

piece o cake dude, good luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.