wiring stacked coil without pots etc - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

wiring stacked coil without pots etc

I'm a newbie keen to get into wiring but want to keep things simple to start with.

I've just got what I assume is an old Dimarzio stacked coil (marked IBZ USA, but no other code), which I plan to use as middle, in between Paf Pro and Breed humbuckers. It's 4 pole (with 2 wires currently taped off), with 2 coils separated by a plate.

What are my choices if I don't want to be adding pots / 7-way switches etc?

What I've worked out so far from wiring diagrams here and on Dimarzio site

Option 1: Basic setup without splitting anything (neck, neck+mid, mid, mid+bridge, bridge), so just wiring up the hot, black&whites joined and taped off etc.

Option 2: standard split humbucker set up (which seems to be the standard popular set up here?), which requires the stacked coil in single coil mode. I've got wiring diagrams for this looking at HS diagrams from Dimarzio site. This means adding a switch. I'd rather not do that at this stage.

Do I have other options with the pickups I have to keep things simple for this beginner?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: wiring stacked coil without pots etc

To add, I'm also a bit confused about the splitting the stacked coil. I've assumed stacked HS wiring will be the same as that for my stacked coil(?).

The Dimarzio wiring diagram for 2 humbuckers and a middle HS (in single coil mode) says to just connect the black from the HS and ground the others. (sorry - forum won't let me add a link as to few postings). Diagram is for 2HB one HS (1 Volume, 1 Tone; Neck, Split Neck & Middle, Middle, Split Bridge & Middle, Bridge).

It says to ground all wires from stacked coil except black, meaning I don't need a pot? i.e. wiring like this will have it in single coil mode. Is that really right?

I've looked at the wiring for splitting an HS. Would I get much benefit adding the switch? would I use a stacked coil in both single coil and humbucker mode anyway with the other 2 HBs? Not sure how i would combine the two diagrams if so...

Sorry for the simple questions. Reading round a lot and finding my way
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

It's hard to help without knowing what guitar this is or which switch.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, it's my first project guitar using a Jem7 neck. Have a few bodies I haven't decided on yet. I've hb Dimarzios for neck and bridge and the aforementioned stacked coil for bridge.

I've bought a standard 5 way selector (with the 8 connectors in a row). I've only recently found this site and learnt of the VLX91 - don't have that. But the Dimarzio wiring diagrams I reviewed suggested a standard selector should be ok.

No other switches yet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned

Those standard diagrams don't know your parts or intentions.

You have a wide open door for many possibilities.

Decide what you want the pickup to do...then decide on the right switch.

Besides the VLX91--you can use any multipole "super switch" to provide many switching combos.

Tags
dimarzio , pickup , stacked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode