Wiring suggestion - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Wiring suggestion

I am currently restoring and upgrading an old 88 ibanez 540s. Without getting into to much detail I am probably going a little over the top, lol. Anyways. . .

I like the stock dimarzios. They are the IBZ/USA F2 humbucker and two IBZ/USA C2 stacked singles. I am doing a 5-way switch with a master volume and master tone. One push/pull pot, preferably the tone pot but not a big deal. I cannot decide how I want to wire it up. Anyone have any cool and/or unique suggestions.

Obviously I want versatility but at the same time nothing too drastic. I'm mainly into blues rock and metal. I just play through a peavey classic 30 and ext. cab. I use any combination of a TS9, soul food and the clean/dirty channels to get varied degrees of gain and compression. The project is getting close to being ready and I have to decide soon. I'm sure one of you guys have a good idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Wiring suggestion

The 540s already should have the coil-split for the bridge. The early 540s had on/off switches for all 3 then coil-split Tone pullup (bridge) then soon changed to two on/offs and a 3-way mini for bridge off/single/hum

The C1/2 are vertical humbucking PUs... if they have 4-conductors you can go crazy otherwise 2-wire you can't do much with them. how many wires do they have? If only 2-wire you could still add volume pull-up for phase or parallel for the bridge. The C2 is a HS2.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: Wiring suggestion

This one didn't have any push/pull stock. The 5-way was originally wired to coil split the hb in position 2 I think. The 3 toggle switch design stopped after 87. This one is a late 88 with the 5-way. The C2's have 4 wires but the blacks were taped together stock (as in per pickup, each one has two short blacks, and a longer red and green). I didn't take any pics when I disassembled it since I planned on changing it. I think the HB has red/green/black/white/bare. Honestly, this is just for fun so I just want to do something cool and different without going ape**** crazy.

Tags
hss , ibanez , project , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode