Wiring Suggestions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Wiring Suggestions

Hey,

I have a guitar thats H/S/S I have a 5 way switch 2 tone pots a volume and a on/on/on mini toggle. I'm not exactly sure how i should wire it. Does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions. I thought of bypassig the mini toggle, but I want all the switches to work and I don't want any holes in the pickgaurd, so something that will utilize all of these things.

I'm not very good with wiring, but if you can give me a basic layout or schematic I can definatley figure it out. I have checked at Guitarelectronics.com and i couldn't find anything there.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 AM

Re: Wiring Suggestions

Are all pups 4-wire?

Would be cool to put humbucking single-coil size pups there, and then use the toggle for tapping.

Is the 5-way a standard or multipole?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 AM

The on-on-on switch can do 3 sounds out of a 4-wire humbucker(see dimarzio.com) for regular-single-parallel coils. Then do the 5-way in standard mode. Or option 2-swap the on-on-on for a SP-ST and wire it so you can turn the middle pickup on anytime so you could have all 3 pickups(not possible with a 5 way). Option 3-standard 5 way, coil tap the bridge by using the tone pot and replace the toggle with a momentary kill switch for stutter effects.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Are all pups 4-wire?

Would be cool to put humbucking single-coil size pups there, and then use the toggle for tapping.

Is the 5-way a standard or multipole?
The singles are 2 Wire, I don't really want to have to buy any more pickups, but I do think that would be cool.

Not so sure about the 5 Way switch, like i said Im a noob at this. I do know it has 8 places to splice to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The on-on-on switch can do 3 sounds out of a 4-wire humbucker(see dimarzio.com) for regular-single-parallel coils. Then do the 5-way in standard mode. Or option 2-swap the on-on-on for a SP-ST and wire it so you can turn the middle pickup on anytime so you could have all 3 pickups(not possible with a 5 way). Option 3-standard 5 way, coil tap the bridge by using the tone pot and replace the toggle with a momentary kill switch for stutter effects.
I like the idea of doing the regular-single-parallel, but I am not sure how to wire it. I'm not sure what doing the 5 way switch in standard means. I figured out how to wire the mini toggle from guitarelectronics.com but I am not sure where to go from there. I still want to use my tone pots and am just not sure how to wire it. Could anyone find a schematic for this?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 PM

5 way in "standard" just means the position 1 is bridge, 3 is middle, 5 is neck and the in betweens(2&4) combine the middle and either bridge or neck(just like a stock strat). The on-on-on would allow you to split the humbucker before it hits the 5 way. Every DiMarzio humbucker comes with wiring info and you may find it on their website.

Tags
coil tap , mini toggle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode