Wiring up my guitar and have some questions... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

I'm sitting here with wires hanging ready to make this baby run and I had a few questions.

For one, the treble bleed on the volume pot. What would the characteristics be with and without it?

Also, how much pickup lead can I leave tucked away for a rainy day?

The guitar is all shielded in copper foil so shielding isn't an issue and the pickup wires are also obviously shielded as well...how much difference in maybe 4 extra inches of wire?
POS RG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France - Strasbourg
Posts: 563
Reviews: 6
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

with a treble bleed you're high frequencies will not be rolled off as you roll down your volume knob.

I guess leaving the pickup cable full length has no impact on the sound, at least I haven't noticed a difference on my side.
satch_jr is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Thanks. Good to know.
I'm using the evo2 pickup in the bridge and I want that nice shimmering clean tone when I roll back the volume.

I wired up the whole thing a little while ago with the treble bleed.
POS RG is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 02:07 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France - Strasbourg
Posts: 563
Reviews: 6
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

I also have the EVO2 in bridge: lovely in all situations!!!
satch_jr is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,768
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
with a treble bleed you're high frequencies will not be rolled off as you roll down your volume knob.
I think you have this backwards. The treble WILL be bled off as you roll down the volume, which is why it's called a treble bleed circuit.

If you don't cave the resistor there, as you roll down the volume, the guitar becomes very treble-y because the bass all rolls off but the treble does not. This was something that was mainly on Jems back in the day. RG's didn't have it.

As far as leaving the entire pickup lead, it just isn't really necessary. I leave enough so that there's plenty of slack to play with but never the entire lead. That's just too much wire laying around the cavity.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I think you have this backwards. The treble WILL be bled off as you roll down the volume, which is why it's called a treble bleed circuit.

If you don't cave the resistor there, as you roll down the volume, the guitar becomes very treble-y because the bass all rolls off but the treble does not. This was something that was mainly on Jems back in the day. RG's didn't have it.

As far as leaving the entire pickup lead, it just isn't really necessary. I leave enough so that there's plenty of slack to play with but never the entire lead. That's just too much wire laying around the cavity.
i cut about 4 inches off my humbucker leads.
I have enough in there where if I ever sold the pickups or whatever, They could easily be installed with plenty to spare.

I installed the treble bleed and we'll see what it sounds like. If I dont like it, it's a simple nip to get rid of it.
POS RG is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,647
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

it is called a high pass cap and yes it allows the higher end to jump the lug to your ouput jack so you retain clarity when you roll the volume knob down.
j.arledge is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
it is called a high pass cap and yes it allows the higher end to jump the lug to your ouput jack so you retain clarity when you roll the volume knob down.
Thank you.
Anyone find a particular rating other than the factory one they like and why?
Once this thing is up and running I plan on experimenting to tweak it. This will be my new main guitar.
I plan to play it a lot albeit only at home.
POS RG is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France - Strasbourg
Posts: 563
Reviews: 6
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
it is called a high pass cap and yes it allows the higher end to jump the lug to your ouput jack so you retain clarity when you roll the volume knob down.
That's what I though.

To POS RG, I do not have specific values, I only use a 330pF cap without resistor. It seems to be ok as I haven't searched any further. I do not play much with the volume excepted in clean sound or with crunch/slightly dirty sounds (which I'd like them to be on the fatter side than one the brighter one)
satch_jr is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
That's what I though.

To POS RG, I do not have specific values, I only use a 330pF cap without resistor. It seems to be ok as I haven't searched any further. I do not play much with the volume excepted in clean sound or with crunch/slightly dirty sounds (which I'd like them to be on the fatter side than one the brighter one)
Thats the same one I used purported to be the spec Ibanez used.
I guess I'll see how she sounds once I get her all strung up.
Hopefully today or tomorrow.
POS RG is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,768
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
it is called a high pass cap
Wait it's a capacitor? My mistake. I thought it was a resistor this whole time.



Only Jems and other higher end guitars have that on the volume pot/



Every guitar I've seen has that capacitor on the tone pot.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Re: Wiring up my guitar and have some questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Wait it's a capacitor? My mistake. I thought it was a resistor this whole time.



Only Jems and other higher end guitars have that on the volume pot/



Every guitar I've seen has that capacitor on the tone pot.
I have the same cap pictured above on my volume pot and I have an orange drop cap on my tone pot.

ratings are 330pf on volume, and 220mf on tone respectively.
I got both of them from allparts.

All resistors I've ever seen are cylindrical with colored bands around them for identification.
POS RG is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wiring questions (dimarzio) j.t..i. Pickups & wiring 3 11-06-2009 09:25 PM
EMG PU wiring diagram Questions Unit-2 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 06-29-2009 12:21 AM
EMG PU wiring diagram Questions Unit-2 Pickups & wiring 0 06-13-2009 10:36 PM
A few wiring questions peter762033 Pickups & wiring 3 11-24-2008 04:16 PM
jem 7 wiring diagram questions Koss Pickups & wiring 0 09-08-2005 12:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome