Wiringissues DiMarzio double coilsplit - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Wiringissues DiMarzio double coilsplit

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I really hope you can help me out!
I've been searching wildly everywhere on the internet to find out my wrongdoings, but I just cant seem to find my answer...

Here it goes:

I have a Fender Tele with standard wiring - 1 x volume, 1 x tone and a 3-way leverswitch. I've replaced the original pu'ps with a DiMarzio Chopper Tele in the bridge pos, and a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck.
As you know, these are 4-conductor pu'ps, and my mission is to have a push-pull tone pot to split these pickups.

Easy job really, I've done it many times on my Ibanez, Blade and Charvel guitars, but those where all either Seymour Duncan's or other brands.

Here's my problem:

No matter how I connect the wires to the push-pul pot, there seems to be something that goes wrong with one of the two pu'ps. I'ts like if one of them gets out of phase or something.
On DiMarzio's webpage regarding coilsplitting, you can read that "If the pickup sounds "out-of-phase" when played with other pickups, use the green as hot and connect the red and bare to ground". Believe you me, I've tried this one - AND various other wirings - more than ones!!

Is there something I seriously have misunderstood here? I'm about to go crazy...

Hope someone out there can help me!!!

//Magnus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM

Re: Wiringissues DiMarzio double coilsplit

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...e0Tone001.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 AM

Re: Wiringissues DiMarzio double coilsplit

Do the individual split coils all sound ok when connecting just one of the Dimarzio's in both the middle as well as neck (or bridge) position of the selector switch? I did not know it was even possible to split these single coil humbuckers too to be honest.

Anyway, the usual split requires black and white to be grounded. The black and white split will keep the north coils of both humbuckers active. If this sounds out of phase when both are active then change to the other south coil on just one of the pickups, not both, by making green hot and red ground. The split (white and black to ground remains the same). This will also reduce hum when both tapped coils are active in the middle position if things are ok.

See here for full info: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...4Conductor.pdf

Lastly: when connecting white and black to ground do not put both 2 whites and 2 blacks together on one switch lug. Each single combination of white and black needs to have it's own lug. Otherwise the current of one pickup will flow through the other with all sorts of unwanted effects

Last edited by Jouke74; 01-30-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Tags
coilsplit , dimarzio , problems , tele , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode