Worth paying a bit extra for EMG H4s? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Worth paying a bit extra for EMG H4s?

So I'm looking at an RG321.

Originally I was going to swap out the stock INF pickups and put some aftermarket pickups in, but for $50 more I can get an RG321E that comes with EMG H4 in the bridge and H4A in neck position.

Are those pickups decent? How do they compare to the INF 3 and 4 that are in the normal RGA321?

I see the H4 by itself is $70 at MF.

Would you pay $50 extra for those EMG pickups or would you save the $50 and put it toward some other pickups later?

The guitar is going to be used exclusively for metal/shredding, if that helps you answer, so I don't care much about having a blues or smooth jazz tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Re: Worth paying a bit extra for EMG H4s?

The RG321 is a current model and is 349. The RG321e has been discontinued and is 239, so you actually get the EMG H4s for a lot less. I think the H4s sound fairly decent in that guitar. The only problem with the 321E is that it does not come in natural and is very limited in finish choices at this point. BTW this pricing can be found at AMS.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The 321 is a nice hard tail RG. Can't go wrong with it, and it's ripe for DiMarzios!
Forget the EMGs--too sterile. Add some life to it. I suggest a Super Distortion bridge/PAF Pro neck, or a Dominion set.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The 321 is a nice hard tail RG. Can't go wrong with it, and it's ripe for DiMarzios!
Forget the EMGs--too sterile. Add some life to it. I suggest a Super Distortion bridge/PAF Pro neck, or a Dominion set.

In other words just get the 321E for 239 and throw in some used DiMarzios for the price of a 321. Since the 321E is 110 bucks cheaper, you have that to play with for new pickups and still be even in the end. lol

If you do not mind a solid color, or have you heart set on natural, get the 321e and save 110 bucks. And you can sell the H4s for about 70 bucks.

http://www.***************.com/Item--i-IBA-RG321E-LIST If anyone wants a really good deal. They have been seen on ebay for 199 new. This guitar sold for 399 when released in 2011.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGramer View Post
The RG321 is a current model and is 349. The RG321e has been discontinued and is 239, so you actually get the EMG H4s for a lot less. I think the H4s sound fairly decent in that guitar. The only problem with the 321E is that it does not come in natural and is very limited in finish choices at this point. BTW this pricing can be found at AMS.
Whoa, where are you seeing that?!

I saw the RG321 for $279 and the E for $329.

I'd prefer the last year's model because it's in black. This year's models are sunburst and natural wood, which looks awesome, but is not what I want for a shredding guitar.

But if I can get the H4s for $239, that's even better, and I'd probably swap in some new pickups anyway.

Can anyone confirm if the older discontinued models have the 5 way pickup selector even though they are HH?

edit - whoa, a white one with Es. I think I would prefer black... especially cuz the white one still has a black headstock, which looks odd to me. That one also says 3 way switch.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Whoa, where are you seeing that?!

I saw the RG321 for $279 and the E for $329.

I'd prefer the last year's model because it's in black. This year's models are sunburst and natural wood, which looks awesome, but is not what I want for a shredding guitar.

But if I can get the H4s for $239, that's even better, and I'd probably swap in some new pickups anyway.

Can anyone confirm if the older discontinued models have the 5 way pickup selector even though they are HH?

edit - what site is that you linked to? I tried replacing the asterisks with MF and Guitar Center but it didn't work.

The prices I quoted are from American Music supply, and I just double checked them. Unfortunately the link I just added did not work. Google AMS, and then type in RG321, and you will find it. :-p

The 321e only has a three way switch and seems to only be available in white. I mean for the lower price, you could just add a 5 way.

Let me know what you find out.

Check ebay, I have seen them at 199 from time to time. Although stock has got to be getting low.

I have a black E, finger prints. :-/ Same with my strat. lol
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

It must have the Gibraltar standard bridge. I don't like the other bridge they put on some of the 321s.

I emailed AMS the other day and asked if they had any in black and they said no

I'm planning on putting some fluorescent pickups and knobs on it so I think black would look better. But, is there anything awesome I can do to make the white one look cool? I couldn't find any color combos that looked as cool on a white one.

I know looks don't matter, but this is my fun project guitar so I want to make it look awesome!

So all Es have the 3 way switch and the regular 321MH's have the 5 way?

If that something that I'll be able to keep when I upgrade pickups, or do only certain pickups lend themselves to working with a 5 way switch?

So it looks like the choices are:

White RG321E: $240
Black RG321: $280
Black RG321E: $330

Would I be able to sell the EMG pickups if I bought that one? That would help fund my project. I assume I wouldn't be able to sell the INFs that come with the regular one.

Normally I would say $40 extra is worth it for the color I want, but the cheaper one also comes with pickups I could sell which makes its total cost even less.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
In other words just get the 321E for 239 and throw in some used DiMarzios for the price of a 321. Since the 321E is 110 bucks cheaper, you have that to play with for new pickups and still be even in the end. lol

If you do not mind a solid color, or have you heart set on natural, get the 321e and save 110 bucks. And you can sell the H4s for about 70 bucks.

http://www.***************.com/Item--i-IBA-RG321E-LIST If anyone wants a really good deal. They have been seen on ebay for 199 new. This guitar sold for 399 when released in 2011.
Or, snag a decent used 321 from Guitar Center for $100-150.00 and have plenty left over for pickups.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Yes, all the EMG equipped 321s, much like the RG3EXs, only have a 3 way switch. The HZs must not split well. They are 5 wire pickups, which would indicate they can split. If you do get an E, you will need a new switch if you get pickups that you want to split.
I agree, the Gibraltar standered is much better than the prior Ibanez fixed bridges.

You could do white with blue pickups :-p I don't know. lol

Bat has a great point though, used is another option. Since the 321E was only made in 2011 if you got a used on it would only be about a year and a half old. Just have them send you some detailed pictures. I could easily see a almost new used one for 150 without much of a problem.

I would not spend 90 bucks extra for black over white. If decide to go new, 240 is a freakin great deal.

I see EMG H4 sets on ebay once in a while and they do sell if priced reasonably.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM

BTW GC only charges 10-20 bucks for shipping on used guitars. I have bought used guitars from them in the past.
BTW, you are not super interweb savvy, I can try and help you find a used on if you need help. I don't have much free time, but hey. :-p

Last edited by SGramer; 06-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, all the EMG equipped 321s, much like the RG3EXs, only have a 3 way switch. The HZs must not split well. They are 5 wire pickups, which would indicate they can split. If you do get an E, you will need a new switch if you get pickups that you want to split.
I agree, the Gibraltar standered is much better than the prior Ibanez fixed bridges.

You could do white with blue pickups :-p I don't know. lol

Bat has a great point though, used is another option. Since the 321E was only made in 2011 if you got a used on it would only be about a year and a half old. Just have them send you some detailed pictures. I could easily see a almost new used one for 150 without much of a problem.

I would not spend 90 bucks extra for black over white. If decide to go new, 240 is a freakin great deal.

I see EMG H4 sets on ebay once in a while and they do sell if priced reasonably.
If I got a black one I'd probably just get the black RG321.

How do I know if the pickups I am considering will work with 5 way switch like this:

Quote:
BTW, you are not super interweb savvy, I can try and help you find a used on if you need help. I don't have much free time, but hey. :-p
I like to think of myself as pretty interweb savvy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM

As far as I know all pickups that are four or five wires, the fifth wire is usually a shield, are splittable/configurable in a way other than series. The major question is if they sound good split. I would read reviews on the pickups and see if they sound decent split or in parallel.

Like I said, the EMG HZ are five wire pickups, but they used a three way switch. I think the instructions on their site even show how to sire them is a way other than a standard humbucker. Not sure why they did not use a five way, beats me.

BTW, almost every after market pup you get will be a 4/5 wire.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

4 wire pickups. That 5th is not a wire, it's the ground.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
4 wire pickups. That 5th is not a wire, it's the ground.
Is it considered a ground or a shield ? It always seemed more like shield as you would find on some network wires or other low voltage critical wires.
Either way, it does go to ground. It is usually a large wire that is wrapped around the others, if it is used.

Last edited by SGramer; 06-07-2012 at 05:54 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is it considered a ground or a shield ? It always seemed more like shield as you would find on some network wires or other low voltage critical wires.
It's bare (unshielded) and is the ground that's soldered to the back of the volume pot with the green lead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode