Would a pickup upgrade made any sense in this case? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Would a pickup upgrade made any sense in this case?

Hi,

I got my new S570DXQM. Nice guitar so far. I thought about a pickup upgrade, but wonder if it would make any sense at all. Because I am exclusively playing my guitar at home through my PODxt connected to a computer.

Edit,

1. Satch, Petrucci, Power Metal, Prog Metal
2. PODxt and computer
3. Build in pickups are: neck INF (H) / middle pu INFS (S) / bridge pu INF (H)
A. ZR bridge Tremolo (Floyd Rose-like but ball-bearing)
B. Rosewood board
C. 24 frets
D. 5 way toggle, 1 volume, 1 tone
E. Mahogany body
F. Pickup mounted with pickguard

I would only be interested in changing both humbuckers.

Last edited by weamdreaver; 06-17-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Re: Would a pickup upgrade made any sense in this case?

Swapping pickups will help you tailor the sound of the guitar a little more closely to your taste, and help you get the sound you want out of it a little more clearly. And the pickups in most Ibanez guitars in that range are fairly average, so there's definitely room for improvement.

But, finding the RIGHT pickups for you can take a lot of time (and money, even if you're good with a soldering iron), and it's one of these things where it's easy to get caught up trying pickup after pickup - you don't want to know the number of singlecoils I've tried in my Strat now.

So, ultimately, it comes down to this - do you like the sound of the guitar? Is something lacking, or is there something there that you wish wasn't there, in the tone? Or do you pick it up, play, and like what you're hearing? If you're happy with it, save yourself the insanity.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

The reason why I asked, is that I thought a pickup swap would mainly make sense if I would play through a real amp, especially live on stage (desired feedback, etc...). But in my case I am only playing at normal or low level in my room.

My old Ibanez with supposed higher quality DiMarzio Air Norton and Steve's Special (JPM-like) sounds pretty much the same. Maybe a little bit more power, but it is barely noticable. Of course, the sound is a bit different. But I am really surprised, how small the difference is. When I read all the reviews about the S570DXQM and the first thing they do is upgrading the pickups, I thought boy, they must be bad.

Well, I suspect the difference would be bigger, if I would play through an amp at a more live like volume. Am I right?

Overall I am quite satisfied with the sound. But, I wouldn't be against more punch in general, and some more warmth and deepness for the neck pickup. The difference between the neck and bridge sound could be bigger for my taste. But that wasn't even the case with the DiMarzio PUs. So I guess it is not the pickups fault?

I edited my first post with more info.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM

I only had one set of INFI's that I really thought sounded good and they were in an early 90's RG350DX. I personally would swap them out but its your call. Do you want to spend the dough to get the upgraded pickups?

also, I think that the size of the amp doesn't matter..A good sounding pickup is a good sounding pickup. Unless you are playing through a Crate or something..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Would a pickup upgrade made any sense in this case?

Ok, here is a quick and dirty test.
Seriously, who can make out the difference.
Two different guitars, both using a different bridge humbucker.
One is my old Ibanez with DiMarzio and the other the new Ibanez with INF.

picosong.c om/FWt5/

picosong.c om/FWtP/

(just remove the space between "c om")
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weamdreaver View Post
The reason why I asked, is that I thought a pickup swap would mainly make sense if I would play through a real amp, especially live on stage (desired feedback, etc...). But in my case I am only playing at normal or low level in my room.
Perversely, I think the reverse is probably true - on stage, no one is going to really hear the difference between a V7/V8 set of stock Ibby pickups and an Air Norton/Tone Zone. It's loud, there's a ton of other stuff going on, and most of your listeners (i.e - non-guitarists) wouldn't even know what to listen for.

In your bedroom, jamming on your own, you're a lot more honed in on your "sound." Live, no one gives a ****.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 120

If you are happy with your sound, and your just playing for fun in your room I'd save your money for something else. Save the money for a nice low wattage valve amp like a Blackstar HT-1 and enjoy the tone from that.

Tags
ibanez , pickup , podxt , s570dxqm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode