X2N lacks low end, need pickup for bridge - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

X2N lacks low end, need pickup for bridge

I'm using an X2N in a basswood bodied guiar, wit a Peavey VK212 with V30s and I boost my amp with a maxon od808(wich cuts some bass). The thing is that I have the bass on full on the amp and the resonance pretty high, and I steel feel it doesn't have enough low end :S The other guitarist in our band has an alder bodied guitar with an artec hma800 but it has much more low end. I tried the D Activator bridge but had problems with it, and after a while I didn't liked it that much so I sent it back. I'm thinking of changing the X2N to a D Sonic or an Evolution, DAX bridge, or maybe a super 3 or super distortion? I don't really now. I love a big tight low end in my sound and I don't have that right now. Maybe the X2N would perform much better in mahagony and with closed cab? But I could get really big low end with the stock pickup on the same amp. But I'm not going be able to buy a new guitar soon. I'm looking for something that has a good chunky midrange, big tight low end, and somewhat sounds bright.

Last edited by ChaserHUN; 12-14-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 AM

Re: X2N lacks low end, need pickup for bridge

sounds to me like heavier strings and a different pedal would do more than changing pickups.

Have you tried your guitar through his rig ?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

We both use valvekings, he uses a 112 and I use a 212. But we tried it on both with the same settings, with/whitout the maxon OD and I felt his guitar/pickup had more low end. Did anyone feel that the X2N lacks low end?
And My mistake his guitar is not alder it's ash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0G7e...eature=related
Here I hear the X2N has a big good low end.
But not on my rig. Would be better in a mahgony guitar and with a closed cab? I mean would that give me much more low end or some other pickup with mosre bass response?

Last edited by ChaserHUN; 12-14-2011 at 05:53 AM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM

I have d-activators and they seem fine for low end, not as huge as the EMG 81/85 set I also have but the low end is certainly there.
I dont particularly like them but with the right pedals they can growl.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I tried a DA bridge, but with the MaxonOD808 it had uncontrollable feedback even with an ISP decimator G-string, there was always whistling at the and of the notes no motter how strong was the decimator, even turned the the treble and still there, put back the X2N and everything was good. I have sent it back they said it's not microphonic but I didn't like that feedback. The thing that I love in the X2N is the midrange. But I feel it lacks low end, maybe in a mahagony bodies guitar it would be much better.
I use 11-49 gaude string for drop c sharp.
I don't know if I should try another pickup or try to save up fro a mahagony guitar.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaserHUN View Post
or maybe a super 3
Yes, that's the one for you.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Yes, that's the one for you.
Some say that the Super 3 has cut bass too, and that it is too dark because of it's high impadance, and that it's muddy in mahagony, well now I have basswood, but later I'm going to buy a mahagony thats for sure

Last edited by ChaserHUN; 12-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM

If I was a fortune teller using cold reading I would say change your guitar,
you dont seem to trust it and it sounds thats what you want someone to tell you.

Or you could try playing at midnight in a stone church crypt,
more bottom end but maybe not the sort you are talking about.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

The best will prbably to change the guitar, and make a closed cabinet.
I'm not talking about muddy low end, but I low it when I feel the punch of a big bottom end.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 11

Go for a D-sonic. It's pretty bassy as well as built for lower tunings and has a bit less output so it has a TON of clarity while still staying heavy, fat and chunky
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 AM

I recently put a X2N in my RG450DX. I loved the tone but also found it was lacking bass. I usually use my 60W 1-12 combo with bass no more than 1/2 way up. It didnt even have good bass with it turned all the way up.
I found adding a good eq pedal was the key to unlocking this pickups true potential!! I then added a closed back 1-12 ext cab with a v30 and the bass came alive and was tight as can be! A good eq pedal and some patience should get what your looking for!
Hope this helps
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

I remember when I was using a solton chorus line 100 with an ehx metal muff back than when I didn't have the money fro a good amp. The bass was shaking the windows in my house, but I had the stock pickups in my guitar. But if you say you feel the x2n lacks bass....I don't really want to invest into an eq pedal. How much did the closed cabinet helped in the bass response?
Also what do you think abou a mahagony body, how much would that help with the x2n's bass response?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:46 AM

I never heard the X2N in mahogany so i cant comment.
The closed back cab makes a world of difference for a tight thumping low end...but i recommend getting a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. You can find them cheap and it is so useful.
I would say that your lack of bass will be corrected with the ezt cab alone

I had this pickup in an alder bodied jackson and it was too bright!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to make a home made closed cab I think.
I hope it's going to help to get the low end pumping.
But still thinkin should I save up for a mahagony guitar or get another pickup and sell the x2n. On jemsite guide for woods it say basswood has weak bass response.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 AM

Reviews: 1

I love the Valve King stuff, I have a 112, and the VK100 head, I use and Aura Big Bottom pedal for incredabile low end!
I put a crunch lab (Garbage pick up IMO~) in my RG1527, Way bad low end compaired to the stock pups, I stomped on the Aura pedal, and WHAM big bottom.
Pedal is a little pricey, but worth every penny!

Tags
x2n

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode