YJM Fury pups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

YJM Fury pups

Okay I've been thinking about these pups recently, and I was thinking of putting one in the middle position on one of my ibbys. Not sure which Dimarzios would sound nice with the fury, so I was wondering: What pups would match well with the furies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: YJM Fury pups

Why wouldn't a DiMarzio pickup work with a Duncan pickup. The world won't explode if you combine the two brands. I've mixed brands plenty of times, and its fine. There is no inherent thing that is going to stop you from combining pickup brands. The YJMs are awesome, and I'm sure they'll work with anything.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Why wouldn't a DiMarzio pickup work with a Duncan pickup. The world won't explode if you combine the two brands. I've mixed brands plenty of times, and its fine. There is no inherent thing that is going to stop you from combining pickup brands. The YJMs are awesome, and I'm sure they'll work with anything.
Oh no I know mixing brands is okay, just wondering which dimarzios might sound well with them. Right now, I'm liking the S1 with the Gravity storms so my 1550 is out, my 560 has the Andy Timmons setup so that's out too. 550 is going to be changed to HH with a new pickguard so no room there. Only option is really my 2550. I may just keep my 550 an HSH and put the new SD perpetual burn pups with the YJM.

BTW, if I was to get a 3 single coil pickguard for an ibanez, would new holes have to be drilled in the bridge pup cavity to accommodate the angled single coil?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 AM

I'd stick it in between a Custom 5 in the bridge position and a '59 in the neck. That'd give you a nice mix of tones that are all vintage-y but able to hang with high gain too.

I haven't tried the Perpetual Burn yet but I'd definitely consider that an option for the bridge position too. I'm so excited about this pickup!

As for if you got a 3-single-coil pickguard made up, you should be able to fit a single coil in that spot with no routing, as far as I remember.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
I'd stick it in between a Custom 5 in the bridge position and a '59 in the neck. That'd give you a nice mix of tones that are all vintage-y but able to hang with high gain too.

I haven't tried the Perpetual Burn yet but I'd definitely consider that an option for the bridge position too. I'm so excited about this pickup!

As for if you got a 3-single-coil pickguard made up, you should be able to fit a single coil in that spot with no routing, as far as I remember.
I have a NGD coming in a couple months but I have a Carvin JB200C ordered and paid for already. Gonna keep that stock pups because Jason also used the M22 carvin pups before ALS stopped him. They are high powered, making my evos basically useless :/ The reason I want the Perpetual burn is because the description is just so cool: Between a 59 and a JB. That's gonna be an awesome pup so I want to use it.

This is what I was thinking of doing:

If I just go with a Fury bridge pup in the middle

1. GS neck-Fury-GS Bridge with my 1550
2. 59-Fury-PB
3. Evo neck-Fury-PB ( i worry about this setup because I worry about the output difference between the Evo neck and the PB)
4. Paf Pro-Fury-PB

If I change my 350 into an SSS: Go all furies
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 AM

I don't really know much anything about pickups but I heard somewhere that the YJMs are pretty low output and need to be used with a boost pedal or something, so I don't know how they would work with DiMarzios.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I don't really know much anything about pickups but I heard somewhere that the YJMs are pretty low output and need to be used with a boost pedal or something, so I don't know how they would work with DiMarzios.
What the hell are you talking about???? The YJMs are most definitely not low output, and there's nothing that would stop them from working with DiMarzios.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about???? The YJMs are most definitely not low output, and there's nothing that would stop them from working with DiMarzios.
I'm actually thinking of trying out the YJM volume pot as well. Have you tried it before, LP?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Yes I've tried them, and the EVH pot, the low friction thing is really cool for people that use their guitars controls for dynamics.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes I've tried them, and the EVH pot, the low friction thing is really cool for people that use their guitars controls for dynamics.
How do they differ from a standard pot in terms of the volume decay? Do they suddenly drop off at like 2 or are they really balanced in the way the volume is raised and lowered?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I have a NGD coming in a couple months but I have a Carvin JB200C ordered and paid for already. Gonna keep that stock pups because Jason also used the M22 carvin pups before ALS stopped him. They are high powered, making my evos basically useless :/ The reason I want the Perpetual burn is because the description is just so cool: Between a 59 and a JB. That's gonna be an awesome pup so I want to use it.

This is what I was thinking of doing:

If I just go with a Fury bridge pup in the middle

1. GS neck-Fury-GS Bridge with my 1550
2. 59-Fury-PB
3. Evo neck-Fury-PB ( i worry about this setup because I worry about the output difference between the Evo neck and the PB)
4. Paf Pro-Fury-PB

If I change my 350 into an SSS: Go all furies
I feel like the Evo neck wouldn't pair particularly nicely with the PB. Personally what I'd do (in fact what I WILL do in my RG550) is: 59-SSL5-PB
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like the Evo neck wouldn't pair particularly nicely with the PB. Personally what I'd do (in fact what I WILL do in my RG550) is: 59-SSL5-PB
What I've thought is that since the PB was designed by jason, maybe it would pair well with the Carvin M22N. His Old DC200 had M22SD (think dimarzio evo with more low end) and M22N. These are carvin's wildest pickups and the M22N might work. On top of that, Carin pups are CHEAP compared to dimarzios or SDs (the PB will cost me around 110 USD, the M22N is like right around 70 USD).

Also, the prototype PB was in one of Jason's DC200s when he decided to complete the project so maybe I'm not far off on this theory.

Although, I do agree that a 59 would be amazing with it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
What I've thought is that since the PB was designed by jason, maybe it would pair well with the Carvin M22N. His Old DC200 had M22SD (think dimarzio evo with more low end) and M22N. These are carvin's wildest pickups and the M22N might work. On top of that, Carin pups are CHEAP compared to dimarzios or SDs (the PB will cost me around 110 USD, the M22N is like right around 70 USD).

Also, the prototype PB was in one of Jason's DC200s when he decided to complete the project so maybe I'm not far off on this theory.

Although, I do agree that a 59 would be amazing with it.
A video is in the works demoing the Perpetual Burn in a Carvin Jason Becker model. Can't wait to hear it!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
A video is in the works demoing the Perpetual Burn in a Carvin Jason Becker model. Can't wait to hear it!
I cant wait either

Right now I'm planning something really crazy for my 550. It may or may not involve the YJM furies but it would definitely be "different"

Tags
dimarzio , yjm duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode