Zw EMG 81 / 85 and 5-way switch - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Zw EMG 81 / 85 and 5-way switch

Hi!

I have a JEM7BSB and would like to exchange my evolutions with EMG81 & 85.

Here's my question: Is it possible to use the 5 ways switch, instead of buying a 3-way and replace the 5-way?

At EMG's website i read, that because of dead spots on 2 and 4, a 5way switch cant be used. So, I would like to know if there's a (simple) wiring for using a 5-way switch like:

1. Neck
2. Neck
3. Neck + bridge
4. Bridge
5. Bridge

I searched all day, but I couldn't find wiring for that....

The reason I want to keep my 5-ways is because I'll maybe buy an EMG single coil in the future (when more money comes my way ).

Hope someone can help me, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Michiel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 AM

Re: Zw EMG 81 / 85 and 5-way switch

Actually i think it still works youll just have two off positions which could then be used for rage against the machine, or randy rhoads style toggle switch tricks. Not POSITIVE on that but fairly sure.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:04 AM

I put in a 3-way switch--made things a bit easier.
Found it at Guitar Center--was not expensive.

I don't use the mid pickup, so the wiring was minimized.

Bob
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks, hahaha, LOL.

But it is said (by EMG) :

Can I use the stock 5 way switch with my Zakk Wylde Set?
No. Using a 5 way switch with two EMG active pickups results in dead spots in positions 2 and 4. This can result in damage occurring to the speaker cones, especially at high gain levels. You'll have to replace the 5 way switch with a 3 way blade switch instead, like the one shown in our diagrams.

So i figured: what if I would connect the pins for position 5 tot the ones of position 4. In other words: make the connection to 5 identical to 4? Or would i get problems with sound, hum, or anything?

regards,

Michiel
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:54 AM

I put a pair of EMG's into an RG320 (Double hum) but the store was out of 3 way switches, so I just connected the leads to the 5 way where the original ones were and I got exactly what you want. Ignore the rules and just try it!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Angry Re: Zw EMG 81 / 85 and 5-way switch

Hi!

Thanks for the advice. I did the wiring, but unfortunatelly cannot get any sound from it.

That is: when I plug in my jack and try to measure voltages in the circuit, I notice noise / hum etc. Possibly from shortcutting with the voltagemeter.

When i try the volumepot, it works (loud noise - no noise) and tonepot works as well (dull noise - bright noise). Do note: the noise is only present when i for example try to measure voltagedifference between connections at the volume pot. If I then put a screwdriver on top of the EMG pickup, i can hear other noise (no hum or anything, just sort of scratching).

Here's how i connected the lot:

1. I used the original plug inside my Ibanez (the other one doesnt fit). It is stereo, and I connected the 9V to the tip that wasn't connected up to then.

2. Because my JEM7 is different from a LP, I had to put the volpot and tonepot further from eachother, so i put a bit of cable between the capacitor and the connection to the volknop.

3. Because of the same difference between JEM and LP i used short potmeters from EMG

4. Because of the same difference between JEM and LP i had to extend both the black (ground) and green (signal) coming from the jackentry to the volpot and tonepot.

5. my ground is still connected to the bridge and volpot. Is this a problem?

In the end: my vol works, my tone works, wiring at that part seems to be correct. I can also measure 9V coming out of the pickupconnector when the jack is plugged in the guitar.

I just don't know what i'm doing wrong. The only thing that can be of some problem would be the 5way / 24 pole switch. I think I get it how it works, but maybe not

So a couple of pictures, maybe someone can help me please.... ?

Is it ok connected, or is the connector upside down?

Is the switch soldered right?> I would like to have:
1. neck
2. neck
3. neck + bridge
4. bridge
5. bridge

That's why I soldered the connectors together. Only in the middle I keep them separate, because others they would combine in any situation, I figured.

OK?

OK?

OK?

OK?

Hope someone can help me :S ?

Thanks!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

*SORRY*, i've been stupid. I forgot a wire back from the switch to the volumepot.

I still have to get rid of noise though. I've got some hum thing. I think it has to do with some earthing thing I did, but shouldn't, because it is not mentioned at the wiring diagram....

grtz,

Michiel
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:24 PM

First off, looks like your connector is upside down on the pickup itself...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:31 PM

Make sure you remove the ground wire that runs to the trem claw, EMGs don't require grounding like passives do.

This setup can work, I've got a couple guitars wired like this (most of my guitars have EMGs) but a 3-way toggle is way easier to deal with.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey JiMoSiTY!

Thanks for your reply and helping me out here! I removed the grounding.

I got two issues left:

1. where to put the battery? Where the jackinsert is, it's a little bit too small :S. Where the trem-springs are, too. So the only place would be somewhere behind the pickguard?

2. When i select the bridge pickup for example, i can still hear sounds from the neck pickup when im scratching it a little with a screwdriver. This is also true, the other way around. Is this normal, or should the bridge pickup be completely shut off when only the neck pickup is selected?

Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

Michiel
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I fixed everything, only thing that remains is the following:

Im using a 5way 24pole switch. When i connect the wires from the pickups, i tested the switch, and it works like a charm. BUT when i connect the pickups to the connectors (with or without battery / jackplugged in), i have a problem: when i select ONLY the neck pickup, the bridge pickup still makes sound (with a screwdriver) although not as loud as the neck (and vice versa).

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Michiel
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

ow, my wiring:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidas
I fixed everything, only thing that remains is the following:

Im using a 5way 24pole switch. When i connect the wires from the pickups, i tested the switch, and it works like a charm. BUT when i connect the pickups to the connectors (with or without battery / jackplugged in), i have a problem: when i select ONLY the neck pickup, the bridge pickup still makes sound (with a screwdriver) although not as loud as the neck (and vice versa).

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Michiel
No, that's not normal.
I think the problem you're running into is the switch itself.
For a few bucks you could replace that switch and be done with this problem.
That's what I'd suggest.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Im willing to bet from the look of your soldering that youve actually soldered into the board a little or connected a bit of lead to the bridge pickup and neck or vice versa, basically what im saying is youve connected the pickups to each otehr a little in each position and thats where your noise issues are coming from
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi people!

Thanks for the replies!

Here's what i found out: I bought a new switch, installed it, and thought, why don't i just test the one pickup. Then it happened.....
The pickups are that sensitive, that the active one picked up the scratching from the not active one :S. In other words, it just amplified the acoustics of the scratching on the disconnected pickup....

So i guess i didn't realise these pickups were so enormous sensitive.....But with the new switch I know for sure i'm doing everyting right

Thanks for all your trouble of finding a solution *sorry*

Regards

Michiel

Tags
bridge pickup , emg active , neck pickup , pole switch , randy rhoads , toggle switch , trem claw , wiring diagram , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode