Keeley Effects - Jemsite
x Dave Weiner Official Forum Archive (SEE NEW LOCATION) This forum area is now closed. Go to Dave's new dedicated forum on daveweiner.com.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Keeley Effects

Hey everyone.

In case you haven't heard of them or tried them, you HAVE to get your hands on some Keeley effects (www.rkfx.com or www.robertkeeley.com) . The Real Illusions tour is chock full of them.

Robert Keeley, fx designer and modding genius, is the man behind the modded pedal that REPLACED the Boss DS-1 on Vai's pedalboard. Steve is now using a Keeley modded Ibanez TSDX9. If you're close to the stage at the shows, you can see it on his pedalboard.

I'm using a few Keeley FX too. I have a Keeley modded DS-1 that I use for every lead I do on tour. It is so smooth and retains the tone in such great detail which the stock DS-1 doesn't. Whatever amp I use, the Keeley DS-1 is in front of it.

I'm also using 2 of the Keeley Compressors. This is the finest compressor on the planet. During rehearsals last month, I lined up just about every compressor I could get my hands on. The Keeley compressor is so much more musical than the others. Warm, punchy, even. It's perfect. I have one on my pedalboard that is on for every clean part and another inline with the acoustic and sitar to really make them sing.

I just thought I'd share a little more info about them with you cuz I'm getting asked about my tone alot after the shows.

Cya soon.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:57 PM

Re: Keeley Effects

Many, many thanks kind sir! Don't know where to start to thank ya! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help the amp splitting and computer interface....I hope you are getting some solo guitar show time.
Have a great show!
rk
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

no problem Robert. Kudos well deserved!

Cheers!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:41 AM

I own a few keeley pedals as well.....terrific products for sure, plus his service is top-notch. When I scrounge the cash I'm definitely getting the keeley compressor.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:39 AM

Cheers Dave. Cerealk has a Keely-modded Super Overdrive that sounds phenomenal (and which I'm sure he won't notice I've stolen at the next rehearsal), and I'm very keen to get my hands on the Compressor.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 PM

Reviews: 4

I'll be getting the DS-1 in a few months. Need to build up some dough. After that, the compressor sounds cool.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:09 AM

I just purchased a RK BOSS DS-1 Ultra off ****. But since it's second hand I'm doubting it would include a user manual. There isn't one on RK's site so can anyone point me to one? Thanks!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 PM

agghh.... he doesnt sell to the UK... off to evilbay..
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:43 PM

You can get Keeley products here...

http://www.robertkeeley.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers
John P.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Hey Dave!
Which Keeley DS-1 do you use? Is it the 'Ultra' model with the extra toggle-switch or the 'SEM' version minus the toggle?

I just bought a used MT-2tz (Keeley-fied Boss Metal Zone) and it's a completely different pedal to the standard MT-2. It just sounds AMAZING!!!! None of the over-bright 'fizz' of the stock pedal. It also has the three-position toggle switch which gives you three quite different sounds which are all very usable and quite different from each other. If you haven't already tried one I would seriously suggest giving it a go. I think people might be scared off by the 'Metal-Zone' name but it would be a great pedal for all kinds of music with the appropriate tweaking.

I also wanted to ask you Dave if you use the Piezo on your RG2027 much and how you find it. I'm about to get the 6-string version (the RG2020X) and I haven't actually used a guitar with a Piezo bridge before so I don't know how usable the Piezo is going to be. If it's good it'll be an added bonus because I think it'll be a nice guitar in it's own right anyway.

Keep on making great music Dave and all the best!
JTM45.(Wales,UK)

Last edited by JTM45; 03-10-2005 at 07:31 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 PM

keely is only 20 minutes away from me......maybe i should see if i can arrange a visit and check them out.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

On tour, I have the SEM mod DS-1. I have the Ultra mod as well which sounds just as good, I just happened to grab this one out of the pedal closet

As for the 2027.. I haven't used that guitar much lately since I've been playing my custom 7's. But the 2027 is a great guitar. The piezo is amazing on it. Just use it thru a direct box into the Pa rather than thru an amp to get the best results.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks Dave.
After I posted that question about me buying an RG2020X I checked out 'the auction site' and found an RG2027 for 500!!!!!!! I tried to be sensible about it and think it over until the next day but I knew it wouldn't be there the next day so I booted my computer up again around 2:30AM and hit the 'Buy it Now' button.

I'm soooo pleased to get one. It's my first 7-string and I've read so much good stuff about them. I can't wait to actually get my hands on it now. It's identical to yours to look at Dave, only difference is that it's got the standard Ibanez pickups but I'll soon sort that out. I'm real excited !!!!

Which combination of pickups do you think sounds best in the 2027 Dave? Do you like the sound that the Mahogany body gives you?

Thanks for the help. It's always very much appreciated!
Regards...............JTM45.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:34 PM

Im in a recently signed band, and I will take my Keeley stuff on tour with me this summer to support our new record.....
Robert......do you have stickers and decals I can snag from your site? You were great to do business with, and I'd love to give you some free advertising on the road!

Denny
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Cheers Dave. Cerealk has a Keely-modded Super Overdrive that sounds phenomenal (and which I'm sure he won't notice I've stolen at the next rehearsal), and I'm very keen to get my hands on the Compressor.

LOL I am sure I will

Tags
boss metal zone , ibanez pickups , joe satriani , keeley mod , mahogany body , modded ibanez , overdrive pedal , peavey xxl , pedal board , piezo bridge , super overdrive , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode