2005 Winter NAMM Report - Page 4 - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:50 PM

Re: 2005 NAMM Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Book was on sale of course, $40. Catalogs you have to be a dealer to get, but man are they big, and wide. Guaranteed it won't fit on my bookshelf! ;//
But will they fit on your scanner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the Report Rich

Lots of great Info, plus loads of very nice new guitars such as the RG3120/and the new RGT's etc. I am very disappointed that there are no DiMarzio Pickups [I.E. DiMarzio PAF Pro's, etc] on the higher end models, but overall very good result from Ibanez.
post #48 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Guys, is the RG 2120x all done with ? I checked the forum and didn't see a definite answer but it sure isn't at the Namm show.
post #49 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Book was on sale of course, $40. Catalogs you have to be a dealer to get, but man are they big, and wide. Guaranteed it won't fit on my bookshelf! ;//
What book? Anybody have details, etc.?

EDIT* Never mind. I just found it at the Ibanez website.
post #50 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
What is going on with their pickups? IBZ/Dimarzio pickups on HIGH-end (meaning HIGH price) RGs?
I don't see why everyone's so down on these pickups. I've tried them out and I like them. Hell, they're designed and made by Dimarzio just like the Tone Zone or PAF Pro, but they're made specifically for Ibanez guitars. I don't see what the problem is. Though I would prefer it if they didn't have anything printed on them.
post #51 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:39 PM

Rich, some of the pictures on the rg page aren't working.
I forgot to say thanks for putting up the page.
post #52 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:48 PM

I didn't read through all the posts, but here's my comments:

-Prices...eek?
-The finish on that flame-top RGA321? BEAUTIFUL
-New JEM: Looks nice, not nice enough for that price though.
-New JS: Looks nice, ORIGINAL EDGE!?!
-No new XL or 7-strings? sigh.
-New finishes on RGs, saw some things I really liked
-I still think the Edge Pro series bridges look stupid, the Edge and Lo-Pro looked infinitely better, and the ZR trem is very nice
post #53 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
As I recall the Ibanez Edge Pro and Lo-Pro Edge and the original Edge trems are made by Gotoh and aren't they also produced at the Fujigen factory. So here is my question : Who will then do the production of the trems, i.e. what factory. I would hate to see that their trems suddely all are made in Korea .

Regards

André
IMHO, I think Ibanez should do the right thing & FINALLY get Schaller (The folks who make all the REAL Floyd Roses) to make all their trems or just pay Floyd a fee for the rights to use his real trems on their guitars (Maybe go w/ a REAL Speedloader, for once.). Now I know I'm gonna get a lotta flack for this, but also IMHO I've never actually LIKED any of Ibanez's Edge, LP Edge, etc. series trems to begin w/ (Save for maybe the ZRs, that is). I don't wanna sound egotistical or anything like that, but for somebody like me who's been known to go BEYOND MURDER w/ his trems, lemme tell ya, none of ANY of the versions of the Edges've EVER been able to stand up to all the torture I put 'em through: For one thing, after a while of up & down whammyin', the bars on the Ibanez Edge trems tend to break off, leaving part of 'em stuck down in the socket (Bummer! Go figure!). Also, being made of a softer metal than the real Floyds & Schaller Floyd Roses are, the knife edges tend to wear down to zilch in no time at all w/ me. Yeah, yeah, I know: Ibanezes're gettin' more & more expensive even as I write this--and don't get me wrong, aside from my quirks w/ the Edge & all it's different variations/incarnations, I actually LIKE Ibanez's stuff; the RGs particularly--but personally, I think it's time for Ibanez to step up to the plate & FINALLY go w/ a real Floyd, and not a copy. For one thing, all of the Floyd Rose & Schaller Floyd Rose trems that they make are just made better: They use a much better (And much HARDER--as well as heat-treated) grade of steel for every single Floyd Rose (Their brand included) that comes outta their factory in Germany. Because of this, the knife edges last MUCH LONGER & the bars themselves can take all the abuse you can dish out W/OUT breaking once, period! Once again, granted, I know that the bars would screw on the regular way & would no longer use the two white retainer threads that currently allow them to just "pop in/pop out" of the tremolo block, but personally, I think that using the regular, screw-on, outer o-ring method that most of your modern Floyds use makes for a more stable connection of the bar to the trem. Like I said, I know I'm gonna catch some flack from all the fans of Ibanez's current whammy bar scheme, but this is the ONE FLAW in their guitars that I know that many other players--not just myself--have complained about for YEARS, and it's time it was addressed. So Ibanez, will you do us all a favor and please choose Schaller as the next company to make all of your trems (And to hopefully make them even better than they are now) from now on? Or--to reinterate again--to at least use real Floyd Roses (Preferably the Floyd Rose Pro). If you could do that (And maybe a couple other things: Like bringing the prices back down to where they were before by next year--if not earlier--as well as bringing back the USA Custom Shop for all of us Average, non-rockstar endorser-type Joes out here), then maybe, just maybe, it might get me a little more excited about purchasing one of your RG guitars brand new. (Sigh) Maybe I'm just whining, but I guess until that happens, I'll continue to take your Edges, Pro Edges, etc. off of every Ibanez guitar that I buy that has 'em on there & replace 'em w/ either the real thing or at least something that won't wimp out on me when I put my guitar through "Whammy Hell"! 'Nuff said.

P.S.: By the way, I'm pretty sure that there's probably gonna be some people who think that Ibanez would hafta get past Fender before they'd allow them to use real Floyds on their guitars, but to my knowledge (And for those who don't already know), Floyd's also sellin' 'em offa his Website, in addition to sellin' 'em through Fender. Peace!
post #54 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:56 PM

You're right, you're gonna catch flack for that. I've owned every single official Floyd Rose made at one point in time or another, including a Pro, and guess what? All of my current guitars have Edge or LoPro Edge trems. The Floyd Pro is a nice trem I guess, if it came in a larger radius and had normal floyd string spacing(it's narrower, which is annoying), it would be much better though.

My only problem is that the Edge and LoPro will go extinct at some point, due to the Edge Pro, and then and only then with I make that switch to an OFR/Pro on my guitars. Simply put, even though you've had bad experiences, I have an Edge trem that turned 17 this year that still works perfect.

People have different tastes, and different uses for things.
post #55 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:30 AM

I'm seeing a lot of confliciting accounts on the official name of the new Jem. Is it Blinding Rock Mirror or Black Rock Mirror?
post #56 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

>But will they fit on your scanner?

No

>Rich, some of the pictures on the rg page aren't working.

Working fine here, if you mean the Prestige page, there's ALLOT on there, maybe just your connection

>IMHO, I think Ibanez should do the right thing & FINALLY get Schaller

Puhlease..... Go start another thread for that rant.

>I'm seeing a lot of confliciting accounts on the official name

The offical "color" is RMR - Rock Mirror. What does the B stand for? In the "new stuff" catalog it does say Black Rock Mirror and since the back is black, I'd guess that's the reference.
post #57 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:38 AM

Last years S470DXQMCN had PSND pickups in it. This year's has INF pickups in it. If you had to choose, which model would you buy based on pickups. Because there aren't any other changes....

And Thank you RICH for the hard work. Those trade shows are a frigging GRIND... Once I get the feedback on these pickups from you informed folks, I can make an intelligent purchase.
post #58 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:54 AM

I guess the B stands for BadHorsie...
post #59 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:51 AM

Very good report that Rich! The pictures are awesome. I know one thing though, I am getting a RGT42DXFX for sure! If there was anywhere near me where I could pre-order one yet I would. I am defenitely getting one, even if I have to get it from the US. Finally Ibanez have came out with a guitar that suits my needs perfectly.

A guitar that looks stunning, is flat-black in colour, fixed bridge, neck-thru, pretty cool inlays AND a nice price!

I am getting one, and I cant wait!
post #60 of 176 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsu777
Last years S470DXQMCN had PSND pickups in it. This year's has INF pickups in it. If you had to choose, which model would you buy based on pickups. Because there aren't any other changes....
PSNDs are traditionally used for Ibanez's entry-level guitars, so I think the INF is a step up. I don't know how it compares to the V8 but it's an obvious attempt to lift the RG3XX series up at least a notch or two, and the same with the S470.

Tags
charvel evh , chrome boy , custom shop , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , edge iii bridge , edge pro iii , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , flamed maple , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd rose trem , giger series , ibanez edge pro , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez pickups , inf pickups , joe satriani , locking stud , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , mexican strat , monkey grip , paf pro , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge trems , production model , ron thal , rosewood board , schaller floyd rose , shark tooth inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , steve vai , string lock , super distortion , tone zone , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode