Chrome-looking JEM PHOTO - Vai Dimarzio Ad - Page 3 - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:00 AM

Looks OK, but not great with the screwhead inlays. Bring back the pyramids! Have you ever seen the control faceplate and footswitch for some of Bogner's amps? They have sliced pyramids behind their buttons. Which came first.....the Jem or the Bogner?

Also:
Does the string saddle for the G string look unusually off pattern from the rest? I mean....the G string is longer than what you normally see on a properly intonated bridge.

This may be a function of Buzz Feiten or just a quick throw together of this axe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:08 AM

I think it looks really nice. But wouldn't it be better with silver or abalone vine inlay? Sustainer is ok, and maybe a double edge trem?
A mirror(chrome) and silver swirl would suit me fine. And a trio of metal knobs looks better than those black pieces of plastic.

Regards

Euph
post #33 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:11 AM

About the G string and the Buzz Feiten tuning system. After what I know the only place they do a little something is to shave off some itsy bitsy stuff off the nut. Adjusting the saddle wouldn't change anything but the intonation, at least not make it a BF thing.

Regards

Euph
post #34 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
IMHO the stock DBK looks better than what is shown in the DiMarzio ad :P
post #35 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Looks OK, but not great with the screwhead inlays
Those are not screw head inlays, they are the SIMS lights (blue in this case).
post #36 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
I think it looks really nice. But wouldn't it be better with silver or abalone vine inlay?
The original neck was a silver vine on rosewood. I think I said above...the SIMS LEDS were added in early December 2001 prior to the Vai London shows.
post #37 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 01:55 PM

I got the magazine today. Saw the ad... I personally don't like the guitar too much, but hey, it's different!

One thing that chapped my hide was in the Green Meanie article in the back:

Quote from GW:
"Today, the Green Meanie is enjoying a noble retirement. After serving as the prototype for the Gem model manufactured by Ibanez, the guitar became part of the permanent display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland."

GASP! GW can't even spell 'Jem' correctly. What's this world coming to?

Gabe
post #38 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:02 PM

what magazine? I'd like to see!
post #39 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
After serving as the prototype for the Gem model manufactured by Ibanez, the guitar became part of the permanent display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland."

GASP! GW can't even spell 'Jem' correctly. What's this world coming to?

Gabe
Haha my freind, but the did spell it correctly. It is Mr. Vai, and Joe Despangi that spelled it incorrectly!!
post #40 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:48 PM

If one thing anyone outside the US should learn, you can't ever spell anything or pronounce anything wrong in the english language.. we have extra words just to cover your butt if you do. A couple are slang and name(a name virtually has no rules).

And they say english is the hardest language to learn.. gasp
post #41 of 230 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:55 AM

That's right, CK.
post #42 of 230 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 07:58 PM

I found at least one other typo in that issue... in the review of Emagic Logic, they called the company "Emedia". Oops.

Vai also claims to be the originator of the floating trem... not so. Brad Gillis had chiseled out behind his Floyd before the Floyd even had fine tuners.

And i looked at the chrome JEM photo, and here's my take on it: It's not chrome. It's a mirrored top. You can tell because scratches/fingerprints/imperfections in the surface are doubled, which means there's a thick layer of something clear over top of the reflective surface. Thicker than a clearcoat.

It's probably a full body top made of mirrored pickguard material, glued to a black JEM. My guess is you could get something similar or identical from Roger over at Jeannie Pickguards.
post #43 of 230 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:14 AM

satch's chrome guitar looks nicer, in my opinion.

as far as sound, which should matter more than looks, i have no idea. i've never heard the chrome Jem played... or have i? has vai recorded anything with one?

-leon
post #44 of 230 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:22 PM

Yep that's it! It's not chrome though it's blue. Why do you call it chrome? the only thing chrome is the hardware, and maybe the binding, hard to tell in the photo. Why are you guys such hard asses? Sheesh!

John
post #45 of 230 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John SI
Yep that's it! It's not chrome though it's blue. Why do you call it chrome? the only thing chrome is the hardware, and maybe the binding, hard to tell in the photo. Why are you guys such hard asses? Sheesh!

John
Unlike the vai.com forum that you're used to, there are RULES here that are moderated and enforced. Please READ those rules. THEN take your time and blend in.

Tags
abalone vine , billy sheehan , black headstock , bridge position , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome boy , chrome jem , chrome vine , chrome vine inlay , custom shop , darren wilson , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , double edge trem , ebony fretboard , edge trem , electric guitar , evo pickups , feiten tuning system , guitar mag , guitar tech , ibanez custom shop , ibanez guitars , jeannie pickguards , larry dimarzio , locking nut , mirrored pickguard , neck pickup , neck position , neck thru , paf pro , paul stanley , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , scarf joint , signature guitar , steve vai , string saddle , tuning system , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode