Here it is!!!! Korean Prestige!!! - Page 4 - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 AM

Re: Here it is!!!! Korean Prestige!!!

jeeez man i actually like that thing. if it plays like all the other ibanez's i've played and sounds like a guitar when i plug it in I'm good. the color is nice. I'll agree I've seen better fmt's in my day but as long as we're not talking a $1000+ axe it would be a nice guitar to own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 04:36 AM

What about J Customs if Fujigen closes ?

Will it be also made by the "J Craft team" ?

I think all that may cause a speculation on Japanese high end prestige and J Customs ... (RG3120 / S3620 and J Customs) real soon

But i don't think it will really impact the sales of the RG 1550 for example, wich was not a real prestige guitar for me (the biggest difference with korean models was the neck and the lo-pro or edge pro on these guitars... if they screw great necks and good vibrato on RGs, they won't be far from today's RG1550...)
post #48 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 02:32 PM
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanlan75018
What about J Customs if Fujigen closes ?

Will it be also made by the "J Craft team" ?

I think all that may cause a speculation on Japanese high end prestige and J Customs ... (RG3120 / S3620 and J Customs) real soon

But i don't think it will really impact the sales of the RG 1550 for example, wich was not a real prestige guitar for me (the biggest difference with korean models was the neck and the lo-pro or edge pro on these guitars... if they screw great necks and good vibrato on RGs, they won't be far from today's RG1550...)
Speculation? The market is flooded with RG3120 and other high end prestige guitars (S2020, S1520, S1620, RG2020X), J customs were always scarce and rare and they never sold all that well in the used market.

If the Korean Prestiges turn out well, people wont miss the MIJ Prestige line for too long. Ill trade any MIJ RG550/570 (i know they are not prestige, but they are well reputed and respected instruments) for that MIK SZ2020.
post #49 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:50 PM

Sorry I've read the 4 pages, but was a bit confused on what is going to happen to the Prestige Line, I've kind of gotten the basic line, but does this mean most of the Japanese Prestige Line is going to Korea and China and are going to sell at a more expensive price? So what about the RGA's and also the new RGT/RG models out for 2005?

Will there be any more MIJ Prestige Guitars and J-customs, or is there just going to be less?

Oh and why the downgrading system of pickups, such as the re-release of the Ibanez Prestige RG3120, now offers DiMarzio IBZ? Why haven't Ibanez choosen 'Proper' DiMarzio Pickups for their 'Higher End' like the Past?

Last edited by artificial infection; 01-21-2005 at 05:05 PM.
post #50 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:04 AM

:^( :^( :^(
post #51 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:46 PM

Thumbs down Re: Here it is!!!! Korean Prestige!!!

I will never ever buy a *new* Ibanez again....

I have played Ibanez for as long as I play guitar bar a few monts, but this type of cheapskating really p*sses me off. I'm not dissing Ibanez Korea, but that SZ1220 is truly pathetic!
post #52 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_destium
I will never ever buy a *new* Ibanez again....
never say never, but no doubt many, many, many former ibanez enthusiasts share you opinion.

the great news is that the Hoshino family makes no profit on the sale of a used Ibanez guitar ...glen
post #53 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:13 PM

Why do you think I highlighted the new part ;-)

Now we're on talking grounds anyway, how about a WYSIWYG menu within the reply window? If one wants to add a smiley it's pretty hard!
post #54 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:50 PM

i like the slanted angle of the flame top, i think it looks neat...
post #55 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM

Talking Re: Here it is!!!! Korean Prestige!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_destium
Why do you think I highlighted the new part ;-)

Now we're on talking grounds anyway, how about a WYSIWYG menu within the reply window? If one wants to add a smiley it's pretty hard!
You here to? Hehehehe....JEMsite rules!

And well. I have had an GRX40 as my first guitar , an RG3120 in red as my second Ibanez but I would never buy an Ibanez from Korea again. Atleast not for now. Ibanez is getting way to commercial if you ask me. They are too expensive for what you get for your money. The bang for buck factor is going down fast if you ask me.

I'd rather buy a good Stat (not from Fender though)
post #56 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:52 AM

I'll wait until I try one of those Prestiges before I pass judgement. It's been 4 years since I played a Korean-made Ibanez..the guitar I played wasn't too bad at all and I just hope they have improved.
Check out this interesting interview with Jim Donahue :
Quote:
Tribble: At this point, you started working internationally as well, correct?

Donahue: They moved the [custom shop] to Los Angeles, and I stayed in Bensalem. My boss went out to Los Angeles—I didn’t want to move there at the time—I had no desire. Back then, it was too weird for me, being from the East Coast. The first time I went to Los Angeles, I stayed right in Hollywood, and that flipped me out.

In 1991, my president called me in and said he needed somebody to go to Korea. We had just switched factories from Japan to Korea because the exchange rates were making Japanese guitars so expensive. They wanted me to teach the Koreans what a guitar is. Koreans knew how to make guitars, but not what it was. They can make a clock, a boat, a semiconductor, a guitar, but they don’t understand that a guitar has soul. That’s why the Japanese were always so good at making guitars and why the Chinese haven’t quite got it. When I used to go to the factories in Japan in the late 1980s, all the guys in the factories were in bands—they could’ve been a John Lennon or a Beatles cover band or an AC/DC cover band, but it didn’t matter—every guy was really into guitars. You’d go in there and say: “What do you have?” They’d say, “I spent all my money, and I have a ‘64 Fender Duo Sonic.” He’d be so into it and know everything about it.

When I went to Korea, the Korean government had banned heavy metal music—it wasn’t illegal, but you almost didn’t want to do it. So, people knew nothing about guitars, and they had no history—they didn’t know a Les Paul from a Strat from a violin. So, I had to go teach Koreans about guitars. I spent a lot of time in Korea—I learned to read and write Korean. I spent six years back and forth teaching them about truss rods and fretting, good necks and bad necks, good pickups that don’t squeal, electronics, hardness of bridges, making better jacks. They were real cool about it and they knew they had to [learn].
You can read the whole interview here.
post #57 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
You here to? Hehehehe....JEMsite rules!

And well. I have had an GRX40 as my first guitar , an RG3120 in red as my second Ibanez but I would never buy an Ibanez from Korea again. Atleast not for now. Ibanez is getting way to commercial if you ask me. They are too expensive for what you get for your money. The bang for buck factor is going down fast if you ask me.

I'd rather buy a good Stat (not from Fender though)
Yep, I used to come here just about every day. Not that I post or posted a lot here, it's always mainly been an excellent source of information
post #58 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:22 PM

Smile Re: Here it is!!!! Korean Prestige!!!

I understand that the style of that flame may not be appealing to a lot of you, I but I kinda consider that also to be as subjective as one's preference to music.
Some rather exspensive Les Pauls I've seen recently have ugly tops!! I find some of them to be very "sterile" looking. Although that may be an impression only I get. People still buy 'em. So some people still dig 'em.
I wonder if there's any reason why they didnt keep that SZ a string-thru. Maybe they wanted it to appeal more to Paul players who are used to a stop bar. I perfer string thru myself. It makes me warm inside.
post #59 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWELL
I perfer string thru myself. It makes me warm inside.
Yep, same here

post #60 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:17 PM

im sorry to sound stupid...but what is a bookmatched top?

Tags
custom shop , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan pickups , flame maple , flamed maple , guitar players , heavy metal , ibanez guitars , jim donahue , korean guitar , les paul , les pauls , mij guitars , mike mushok , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , string thru body , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode