NAMM 2004 Summer Session - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

NAMM 2004 Summer Session

The show starts today! NAMM's Summer Session is usually smaller, with fewer major product announcements, but there are still usually a few cool things that come out in Nashville.

Schecter has pre-announced a new model in the Blackjack series... it's an 007 Blackjack. It's a 7 string, with 26.5" scale, TonePros bridge and tailpiece, Duncan '59 and JB pickups and a pretty reasonable price.

Gibson has made a couple of 'pre-announcements' including a limited production run of Gibson's new MaGIC digital guitar system, and the new Steinberger 'Synapse' line designed by Ned Steinberger himself!

I'll be watching Harmony Central for more interesing releases over the weekend.

How many Jemsiters will be attending?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:32 AM

i wish i could! walking around all day, looking at guitars, sounds better than disneyland
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:45 AM

Can't say I'm not excited about that 007

And Gibson finally has their MaGIC system working?
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Okay, weird. About three weeks ago, i started sketching out some ideas for a Fly-esque single-cutaway guitar. Today, Parker announced singlecut models... but they're not really Fly-based at all. In fact, i'm completely underwhelmed by their design and features. My design looked way better, IMHO.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 05:15 AM

show us your design then
i quite like the parker, although it looks a little bit fat
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 05:29 AM

I agree, show us the designs. I have a question how does the Gibson Magic system work? I saw the video...it showed a cable plug into a guitar...where does it go? an amp? the magic system mixer/consol center?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Here's a rough sketch of what i was thinking for a Fly-esqe singlecut.

I'm guessing Parker is trying to become a bit more of a "conventional" guitar company... their designs probably frighten people who are a little more traditional. I'm curious to know the full specs on their new singlecut models, like if they use the same neck construction methods, stainless frets, super light weight, and possible future piezo options.

Maybe it's still too early in the show coverage, but there seem to be very few guitar-related announcements (which isn't all that unusual for Summer Session, anyway).

Didn't Fender already introduce a John 5 Telecaster a couple of years ago? I'm puzzled as to why they've 'introduced' it again.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Yea, I definitely like your version better Darren.

And actually Fender already has two John 5 Telecasters.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:11 PM

Re: NAMM 2004 Summer Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
and the new Steinberger 'Synapse' line designed by Ned Steinberger himself!
*Drools at the thought of a new steinberger*

Well guess I have got to spend the rest of the day finding pictures of this mean machine!

EDIT: Damn no pictures yet! Sounds sweet though!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I know! I'm dying to see the new Steinbergers. There's some information on the TransScale system here.

Ibanez only has a few new product announcements. Mostly lefty models (Artcores and SZ), and a couple of mandolins and basses.

I think it's really funny that all the new "lefty" model photos on Ibanez's site have their necks pointing to the right (so they're all upside-down). I guess whomever prepared those photos for the Web site is completely clueless. Then again, they still haven't fixed the Andy Timmons model photos on the U.S. site, so i guess we knew that already!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 05:50 PM

oo ibanez mandolins, tempting i wanna play some mandolin in my metal band

nice design on the parker btw darren. it looks alot like the fernandes ravelle apart from the headstock.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, kinda, but not really. I think there's maybe more Iceman in there than Ravelle. (Fernandes also had a Reeves Gabrels signature model for like 5 minutes, which was basically a Ravelle with a reversed lower bout, more like mine.)

My influences were Parker Fly, Gibson Firebird, a couple of single-cutaway models by Myka Guitars and various single-cutaway basses.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:13 AM

I definitely like your design better, Darren. The Parker design looks like it tried to pull off the Les Paul look, but ended up appearing more like a weird jazz box.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:19 AM

Seen this one yet?

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what i think of that one... Tele players won't like the shape, everyone else won't like the Tele electronics. They're making some odd decisions over there.

Seeing the new singlecut models in the "P-series" lineup makes a bit more sense, as they have nothing in common with Fly heritage at all. I'm not even sure who they'd be marketing those at.

There's some info on the new Steinberger Synapse series at steinbergerworld.com... check out their Yahoo group for a preview and rundown of the specs (new fixed bridge models with a brand-new EMG integrated magnetic/piezo system!) and some pics.

Tags
andy timmons , andy timmons model , custom shop , darren wilson , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , les paul , parker fly , piezo system , stainless frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode