New Ibanez trems 2004 - new Edge and ZeroResistance - Page 2 - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:38 PM

If the new Edge clamps the strings in the same way as other double-locking Floyd-type bridges, you probably have the option of cutting the ball ends off or not.

Now that i think of it, both bridges do seem to borrow a lot of ideas from the old Yamaha bridges (thanks for the reminder, Jester).

What would be really cool is if Ibanez put an integrated string retainer on the back of the nut like Kahler did, and made the nut height-adjustable like Yamaha did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:49 PM

If the new Edge works as well as, or better than the old one with easier re-stringing, it'll be a hit. It's like a more practical Speedloader IMHO.
post #18 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:17 PM

Now, will it retrofit an older Edge routing? I wouldn't put it past Ibanez to change the baseplate just enough..... I know, sorry but I'm a cynical [email protected][email protected]

Actually, now that I've studied the cutaway a bit more, it looks like you *could* indeed be able to just lock it down even if you broke a string. The saddle block locking bolt is still there so why not? Wow, I think this is going to be one sweet trem.
post #19 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
If it aint broke don't fix it
I get the same feeling. More parts and features is not always a good thing...I guess in time we shall see.
Greg
post #20 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 07:34 PM
Vendor

Floyds patent is up, anybody can do as they wish without licensing fees. I was told they weren't going to develop anything yet, obviously disinformation

They don't inovate and everybody says "They're supposed to be the innovation company and they never change!", and if they do change we hear "If it aint broke....".

So decide, you want to be stuck in the present, or get a glimpse at the future?

post #21 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:17 PM

My edge works just fine, and I'm sticking with it...
post #22 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:18 PM

ha tis weird...

nobody would believe me..but as a wide eyed 15 yr old, i had the idea to create a trem that worked on the basis of pivoting on a bearing/spherical system rather than a knife edge...

was never good at metal work class though

track7

cant wait to see these things in action!
post #23 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
If it aint broke don't fix it...
right Jono,
we're so happy with the Edge. why to get not one, but two new trems? i guess that's just a commercial thing, since the world does have already the better trem ever built, since '86.
i just hope this will cut down the older Edges' price.
post #24 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
They don't inovate and everybody says "They're supposed to be the innovation company and they never change!", and if they do change we hear "If it aint broke....".

So decide, you want to be stuck in the present, or get a glimpse at the future?

Well I think I'd rather be stuck in the present. Guitarist magazine runs a "where are they now?" column for gadgets and gear that seemed great in theory but never took off. There's an old saying amoungst british engineers, that if it looks right then it probably is right. The Edge trem looks right, to me, this one doesn't

I also find it interesting that the rout for the trem seems very "TRS" shaped with the smoothly sloping corners at the rear of the base plate near where tha arm slots in. and the pickups seem to bare strong resemblance to the powersound type affairs with 2 rows of slug coils.

I can see the Jackson custom shop looking more and more tempting, or maybe I should go test drive another Anderson... If only they came with 24 frets
post #25 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 05:47 AM

Hmm..I'd wager the zerorocker might be a trem that doesn't compensate by making the other strings go sharp when you bend a string, and maybe keeps the strings in tune relative to each other when you dive
It looks slightly wilkinson inspired.

Hmm..This speedloader edge, mite be a sucess, but im happy with the edge. I do remember reading something about a big rumour in hoshino that the new edge is going to be amazing, so we must wait and see...
post #26 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:05 AM
deleted username

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
...and made the nut height-adjustable like Yamaha did.
Preach on, brother! I loved that nut. PERFECT action, every time. No guessing, no shims...just dial it right in.

I'm going with the "I'll decide after I've played one good and hard" test. Decision will be based on how well it passes my own personal 'feel test'.

Also, retrofitting is muy importante. I would hope that the Edge-Ver.3.0 would drop in. Then again, Floyd's Speedloader does NOT drop right into OFR/TRS guitars. The Speedloader system is kinda cool- if you like one tuning, and have the need to change strings quickly...regularly.

Do any of these bad boys 'lock down', i.e. become a hardtail (like the Parkers)? If not, then I've got a little invention comin' out that you'll all enjoy. Details soon! :-)
post #27 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globbits
Hmm..I'd wager the zerorocker might be a trem that doesn't compensate by making the other strings go sharp when you bend a string, and maybe keeps the strings in tune relative to each other when you dive
It looks slightly wilkinson inspired.
I think that's nothing more than pure speculation... there's no evidence of either of these features from the one photo we've seen of it. What about it seems Wilkinson-inspired?

It does look like it's intended for lower-end guitars, judging by the pickup that's right next to it. What's the biggest complaint about the TRS? The shoddy metal and lack of hardened knife edges. Replace the knife edges with decent bearings, and you'll have a much smoother, much more stable trem that's easier to install at the factory and has less chance of an inexperienced user wrecking the knife edges by adjusting bridge height while under tension.

It does strike me as odd, though, if Ibanez is planning on replacing the TRS with a mechanically more complex design.

One thing that's interesting with the new Edge is the hardened metal inserts on the saddles. I noticed the EB/MM JPM bridge had hardened inserts, whether it was piezo-equipped or not. This makes things a LOT simpler, because they can use the same parts for piezo and non-piezo bridges. All they'd need to do is swap out the little inserts with piezo-loaded elements, wire it up and it's good to go. (Notice the vertical channel right under the saddle insert in the cutaway photo?) This may also open up the possibility of third-party piezo inserts for new Edge guitars.
post #28 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:57 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
This is a quite surprising, but i guess with the new FR system, Ibanez (and others) would make changes eventually. My initial reaction is that this is "fixing what is not broken"... there are alot of other changes ibanez could be concentrating their efforts on.... i'd much prefer improving things that Ibanez is WEAK at, instead of improving things that already work to perfection.

But i'll reserve final judgement upon seeing one operate first hand.
post #29 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 10:14 AM

right Glen,
this just doesnt seem to be an improvement (if could Edge be improved).
i'm not one of those described by Rich, quite the contrary. when the FX Edge came out i was like "Wow! That's cool!" ... but this seems to be kinda useless, unless it has some real improvements that Max (Caprile)'s dealers didnt reveal.

also... WHY THE H*LL didnt Ibanez advised 'us' on this before!?! we should be the first to know!
post #30 of 240 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 10:19 AM

I'd still like to see Ibanez bring back the Edge2. A locking bridge combined with locking tuners is a great combo.

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , arm holder , base plate , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , bridge pickup , bridge position , custom shop , darren wilson , dimarzio evo , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge bridge , edge pro trem , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , equipped guitar , eric johnson , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fretboard radius , hoshino usa , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge pro , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez trem , ibanez tremolo , intonation tool , jackson custom shop , joe satriani , korean guitar , locking bridge , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking studs , locking trems , locking tuners , music store , neck shim , nut height , pickup cavity , piezo bridge , powersound pickups , prestige necks , pro edge , retainer bar , signature guitar , steve vai , trem arm , trem arms , trem setter , tremolo system , trs trems , wound strings , zero resistance trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode