Sony Music CDs w/ DRM infects your PC w/ spyware/malware! (G3 Live in Tokyo) - Page 5 - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 AM

Re: Sony Music CDs w/ DRM infects your PC w/ spyware/malware! (G3 Live in Tokyo)

Someone said earlier than "You reap what you sew" (and it's actually 'you reap what you sow') and I'll have to say that people doing P2P filesharing isn't the same as a company illegally and secretly installing spyware/malware through a backdoor process without a way to stop it.

Here's how it's different:

Consumers can't do a %$#@ed thing about secret installations.

We can't. Plain and simple. We weren't told this was on the CDs and unless you were super ninja about reading your CD on your computer, more than likely, you got 'infected'. And then what? Wait for Sony to give us a patch? After the stunt they pulled, would you really trust them? At this point, there's almost no choice BUT to trust and even then, it's not trust, is it? We could sue, maybe, but where has that gotten us? Okay, admittedly, that can work, but the damage is done. If, for example, the spyware and malware had been a virus instead, then who knows how many computers got affected by this, shutting them down and corrupting files left and right. If this virus got into high-security computers by means of a lab technician wanting to listen to music, then there goes data. And suppose the virus searched for things like SSNs or other private information and reported it back to who-knows-where?

Not knowing about such a thing like this has staggering consequences; we're seriously lucky that what was implemented wasn't something like what I just described, which really COULD happen someday.

For filesharing, things CAN be done about it.

Napster got shut down. Downloads can be monitored. Bandwidth usage can be tracked. The people/companies/entities P2P affects (like RIAA) rub elbows with the GOVERNMENT; they can track and find almost anything if they wanted to simply because of clout. For example, my own broadband provider suddenly banned my mac address because I was pushing high bandwidth when I was doing a semester-long intensive graphics design project and was sharing my work (uploading) with other members on my team.

The repercussions for each activity is different - for backdoor secret installations, the results are worse!

I already implied earlier, but I'll reiterate here.

With filesharing, companies and individuals lose money. Ouch.

Personally, I try my hardest to support the products and programs I use and the artists and musicians I like to listen to. I'm not perfect and I'll admit to having used cracks and hacks, but when I've gotten the money needed, I've also paid for what I've used, too.

Where is music is concerned, I support my favorite artists and I own both the CDs and the MP3s at the same time. I support what I like, but I refuse to pay 15-20 bucks for a CD that has ONE good song on it. If they only sold that one song, I'd pay for it and that's it. But like someone else said, I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for what seems to be garbage. Thankfully, a lot of my favorite artists and labels have offered the whole "listen to a clip" option, so in the recent years, my 'garbage' has been significantly less.

But if I chose to share files and download rather than buy, what happens?

People lose money.

That's it.

If I were really an *******, I'd stick a virus on my shared files so it can infect other people's computers, but in THAT case, you DO reap what you sow because whoever told you to download in the first place?

Now if secret files/programs/spyware/malware being installed onto a computer, what happens?

Without the consumer's knowledge, information is being sent to wherever. If this was an ill-willed programmer who decided that he/she wanted to include a nice virus or a malicious data miner, the consumer's private information could all become public within seconds. Hard-earned data in laboratories could be lost. Computer automated programs that guide satellites and whatnot could all go haywire.

And all because of one stupid CD. MUSIC CD.

I hope everyone knows what's truly ironic about this whole "Reap what you sow" business.

The people who DID get bitten by this spyware/malware problem were the people who were supporting their artists in a LEGAL way. And for their money, they got spyware and malware installed.

What a superb way of convincing people that buying CDs is better than downloads.

What an even more excellent way of showing the consumers who have the better integrity.

Yes, I suppose you reap what you sow, but for the people who were the victims, they reaped what OTHERS sowed.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now. If you actually read all that, thanks, and if you didn't, this was just something I needed to get off my chest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 04:38 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Sony Music CDs w/ DRM infects your PC w/ spyware/malware! (G3 Live in Tokyo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfAnAngel
Someone said earlier than "You reap what you sew" (and it's actually 'you reap what you sow') and I'll have to say that people doing P2P filesharing isn't the same as a company illegally and secretly installing spyware/malware through a backdoor process without a way to stop it.

Here's how it's different:

Consumers can't do a %$#@ed thing about secret installations.

We can't. Plain and simple. We weren't told this was on the CDs and unless you were super ninja about reading your CD on your computer, more than likely, you got 'infected'. And then what? Wait for Sony to give us a patch? After the stunt they pulled, would you really trust them? At this point, there's almost no choice BUT to trust and even then, it's not trust, is it? We could sue, maybe, but where has that gotten us? Okay, admittedly, that can work, but the damage is done. If, for example, the spyware and malware had been a virus instead, then who knows how many computers got affected by this, shutting them down and corrupting files left and right. If this virus got into high-security computers by means of a lab technician wanting to listen to music, then there goes data. And suppose the virus searched for things like SSNs or other private information and reported it back to who-knows-where?

Not knowing about such a thing like this has staggering consequences; we're seriously lucky that what was implemented wasn't something like what I just described, which really COULD happen someday.

For filesharing, things CAN be done about it.

Napster got shut down. Downloads can be monitored. Bandwidth usage can be tracked. The people/companies/entities P2P affects (like RIAA) rub elbows with the GOVERNMENT; they can track and find almost anything if they wanted to simply because of clout. For example, my own broadband provider suddenly banned my mac address because I was pushing high bandwidth when I was doing a semester-long intensive graphics design project and was sharing my work (uploading) with other members on my team.

The repercussions for each activity is different - for backdoor secret installations, the results are worse!

I already implied earlier, but I'll reiterate here.

With filesharing, companies and individuals lose money. Ouch.

Personally, I try my hardest to support the products and programs I use and the artists and musicians I like to listen to. I'm not perfect and I'll admit to having used cracks and hacks, but when I've gotten the money needed, I've also paid for what I've used, too.

Where is music is concerned, I support my favorite artists and I own both the CDs and the MP3s at the same time. I support what I like, but I refuse to pay 15-20 bucks for a CD that has ONE good song on it. If they only sold that one song, I'd pay for it and that's it. But like someone else said, I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for what seems to be garbage. Thankfully, a lot of my favorite artists and labels have offered the whole "listen to a clip" option, so in the recent years, my 'garbage' has been significantly less.

But if I chose to share files and download rather than buy, what happens?

People lose money.

That's it.

If I were really an *******, I'd stick a virus on my shared files so it can infect other people's computers, but in THAT case, you DO reap what you sow because whoever told you to download in the first place?

Now if secret files/programs/spyware/malware being installed onto a computer, what happens?

Without the consumer's knowledge, information is being sent to wherever. If this was an ill-willed programmer who decided that he/she wanted to include a nice virus or a malicious data miner, the consumer's private information could all become public within seconds. Hard-earned data in laboratories could be lost. Computer automated programs that guide satellites and whatnot could all go haywire.

And all because of one stupid CD. MUSIC CD.

I hope everyone knows what's truly ironic about this whole "Reap what you sow" business.

The people who DID get bitten by this spyware/malware problem were the people who were supporting their artists in a LEGAL way. And for their money, they got spyware and malware installed.

What a superb way of convincing people that buying CDs is better than downloads.

What an even more excellent way of showing the consumers who have the better integrity.

Yes, I suppose you reap what you sow, but for the people who were the victims, they reaped what OTHERS sowed.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now. If you actually read all that, thanks, and if you didn't, this was just something I needed to get off my chest.

BRAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O!!!!!
CLAP,CLAP,CLAP,CLAP,CLAP!!!!!
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:18 AM

All I gotta say is mp3 downloads have led to hundreds of cd sales from myself alone. I don't think you can fairly blame mp3s (low quality most the time anyway) for the decline in cd sales.

Also it's becoming too much like a police state. I say we make filesharing perfectly legal and make it illegal for countermeasures such as the Sony DRM, or let Sony vs crackers duke it out. If I was in charge of the US, Sony would not be selling products here until they removed it and paid grievances to anyone who's ever installed it.

Last edited by red5; 01-24-2006 at 02:35 PM.
post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
All I gotta say is mp3 downloads have led to hundreds of cd sales from myself alone. I don't think you can fairly blame mp3s (low quality most the time anyway) for the decline in cd sales.
DITTO!

Regards

André

post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:50 PM

Re: it's called copyright

I am a songwriter with DOUBLE PLATINUM, PLATINUM, and GOLD ALBUMS/SONGs to my credit. I also work at a MUSIC DISTRIBUTOR. I/we get hit from every financial angle possible and continually loose money due to piracy, downloading etc.
Right now SONY is making ammends.
Here is an UPDATE from SONY - 03/15/2006.....
22130484v4
SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT CLASS ACTION
SETTLEMENT WEBSITE GOES LIVE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 9, 2006
Effective immediately, www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com is active to fulfill
claims in the class action settlement concerning certain music CDs sold by SONY BMG
Music Entertainment. In announcing the rapid deployment of the settlement website,
representatives of SONY BMG and the law firms of Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo LLP
and Kamber & Associates, LLC declared that they “were pleased to work together to
provide class members a website through which they can receive the full benefits of the
class action settlement quickly and efficiently.”
This web-based claims process was established by order of the Honorable
Naomi Reice Buchwald of the United States District Court for the Southern District of
New York in In re SONY BMG CD Technologies Litigation, Case No. 1:05-09676-NRB.
On January 6, Judge Buchwald preliminarily approved the settlement of the class action
lawsuits brought against SONY BMG over music CDs that contained “XCP” and
“MediaMax” content protection software.
United States residents who purchased, received, came into possession of or
otherwise used one or more MediaMax CDs and/or XCP CDs since August 1, 2003, are
eligible for settlement benefits, including the following:
SONY BMG has, since November 2005, enabled persons with any of the 49
SONY BMG CD titles with “XCP” software to exchange their XCP CDs for a version of
the same CD without any content protection software, and to receive free MP3
downloads of the music on the CD. Under the settlement, people who exchange their
CDs, or who already have done so, also will now receive either $7.50 plus one free
album download from a list of specified albums from the Connect, FYE, iTunes or Wal-
Mart download services; or three free album downloads from that list.
Persons with any of the 53 SONY BMG CD titles with “MediaMax” Version 3.0 or
Version 5.0 software, who submit proof of purchase of those CDs, are entitled under the
settlement to receive free MP3 downloads of the music on the CDs. Purchasers of CDs
with MediaMax Version 5.0 also may receive any one of the free album downloads from
the download services listed above.
The settlement provides for other benefits, as well, including free utilities to
uninstall or update the MediaMax and XCP software to remove all known security
vulnerabilities. Details about the class action settlement and all of the settlement
benefits are available at www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
John McKay
SONY BMG
(212) 833-5520
Daniel C. Girard
Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo
LLP
(415) 981-4800
www.girardgibbs.com
Scott A. Kamber
Kamber & Associates, LLC
(877) 773-5469
www.kolaw.com
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:53 PM

Re: Sony Music CDs w/ DRM infects your PC w/ spyware/malware!

Who's 'lower' SONY or those who copy/steal copywritten materials?
I am a songwriter with DOUBLE PLATINUM, PLATINUM, and GOLD ALBUMS/SONGs to my credit. I also work at a MUSIC DISTRIBUTOR. I/we get hit from every financial angle possible and continually loose money due to piracy, downloading etc.
Right now SONY is making ammends.
Here is an UPDATE from SONY - 03/15/2006.....
22130484v4
SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT CLASS ACTION
SETTLEMENT WEBSITE GOES LIVE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 9, 2006
Effective immediately, www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com is active to fulfill
claims in the class action settlement concerning certain music CDs sold by SONY BMG
Music Entertainment. In announcing the rapid deployment of the settlement website,
representatives of SONY BMG and the law firms of Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo LLP
and Kamber & Associates, LLC declared that they “were pleased to work together to
provide class members a website through which they can receive the full benefits of the
class action settlement quickly and efficiently.”
This web-based claims process was established by order of the Honorable
Naomi Reice Buchwald of the United States District Court for the Southern District of
New York in In re SONY BMG CD Technologies Litigation, Case No. 1:05-09676-NRB.
On January 6, Judge Buchwald preliminarily approved the settlement of the class action
lawsuits brought against SONY BMG over music CDs that contained “XCP” and
“MediaMax” content protection software.
United States residents who purchased, received, came into possession of or
otherwise used one or more MediaMax CDs and/or XCP CDs since August 1, 2003, are
eligible for settlement benefits, including the following:
SONY BMG has, since November 2005, enabled persons with any of the 49
SONY BMG CD titles with “XCP” software to exchange their XCP CDs for a version of
the same CD without any content protection software, and to receive free MP3
downloads of the music on the CD. Under the settlement, people who exchange their
CDs, or who already have done so, also will now receive either $7.50 plus one free
album download from a list of specified albums from the Connect, FYE, iTunes or Wal-
Mart download services; or three free album downloads from that list.
Persons with any of the 53 SONY BMG CD titles with “MediaMax” Version 3.0 or
Version 5.0 software, who submit proof of purchase of those CDs, are entitled under the
settlement to receive free MP3 downloads of the music on the CDs. Purchasers of CDs
with MediaMax Version 5.0 also may receive any one of the free album downloads from
the download services listed above.
The settlement provides for other benefits, as well, including free utilities to
uninstall or update the MediaMax and XCP software to remove all known security
vulnerabilities. Details about the class action settlement and all of the settlement
benefits are available at www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
John McKay
SONY BMG
(212) 833-5520
Daniel C. Girard
Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo
LLP
(415) 981-4800
www.girardgibbs.com
Scott A. Kamber
Kamber & Associates, LLC
(877) 773-5469
www.kolaw.com
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Who's 'lower' SONY or those who copy/steal copywritten materials?
SONY is punishing paying customers. That is unacceptable.

Shoplifting & theft is a part of doing business and unfortunately unstoppable (in brick/morter retail, online, whatever).

This is a losing argument to entertain, as Sony/RIAA/MPAA have learned and will continue to learn... glen
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
SONY is punishing paying customers. That is unacceptable.

Shoplifting & theft is a part of doing business and unfortunately unstoppable (in brick/morter retail, online, whatever).

This is a losing argument to entertain, as Sony/RIAA/MPAA have learned and will continue to learn... glen
Exactly .

Regards

André

post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Since you don't want to hear about 'ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS' I don't want to hear your whinnig. Since your post, SONY has more than made ammends. SONY is playing by the rules. Thieves can still do whatever they want though.
JAYMAR
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Since you don't want to hear about 'ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS' I don't want to hear your whinnig.
Huh? That is poor logic.

Quote:
Since your post, SONY has more than made ammends.
In your opinion. Not in mine or PUBLIC OPINION

Quote:
SONY is playing by the rules.
Riiiiiight. Illegal, nondisclosed rootkit (ie. viruses) being installed on customer's PCs. Nevermind this would still be happening if they didn't GET CAUGHT WITH A BLOODY KNIFE

Quote:
Thieves can still do whatever they want though. JAYMAR
Apples vs oranges. Paying customers can "do whatever they want" and no doubt some will rethink their purchase plans ...glen
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 05:32 PM

I suppose if you really wanted to piss off Sony you could pop one of these infected cd's into your stereo and record it with one of there own products, even though the recording thingy costs as much as a Jem.
http://www.***************.com/produ...der?sku=244767
post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM

No theft, no problem.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:26 PM

See that thing way over there, that thing you missed jaymar. That's the point.
This affects people legally backing up their stuff, or loading it onto a personal server for themselves as well as people doing the wrong thing. Which is no more wrong than Sony loading malware onto a persons computer without them knowing.
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Talk about reviving a dead thread!!!!
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Threads dont die on Jemsite, they just hibernate for 2 or 3 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode