Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews - Page 5 - Jemsite
Jemsite Featured News Featured news & threads that appear on the frontpage of jemsite.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Re: Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews

i'll put it this way...i love his guitar playing...so more vocals mean less guitars. hence sadness prevails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Firewall's my fav. song in that album. So much energy and that RAW RAW Vai guitar tone AND that awesome jazzy feel. The trumpets were cool as hell ;D

I don't mind his singing really. Honestly it's not that bad. If you heard him as just another singer and not Vai, I think you'd apprecaite it more.

Definately not a contender for best Vai album, but it's something new for sure. To me he has jus begun experimenting with these new ideas. For me it's not a usual Vai CD, it's different.
post #63 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:25 PM

I just listened to it twice.
There are some cool parts in it, some other worse... I don't like the "Lotus Feet" but I already didn't like it when he played it Live in Paris 3 weeks ago...
Not my favorite album but not my least favorite...
post #64 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 04:00 PM

I got it yesterday...I have to say I was surprised in a couple of songs. Some neat stuff there...He did sing a bit too much for my tastes though. Firewall was very Fire Garden wich was nice, and Freak Show Exccess is really awsome Lotus Feet was good too, and Midway Creatures was cool. Under It all had a really epic feel about it. It would be nice to see Steve Performing that live, but I dunno how it'd be done with all the voices in it. The rest was you average Steve Vai stuff Overall a really nice CD, but I still like Alien Love Secrets the best...It's a CD I can listen to all songs repeatedely without skipping...
post #65 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Oh, and Yai Yai was funny The "Whookam" of this CD
post #66 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:19 PM
RCB

Every new CD is an oportunity to make another PAW. Im not expecting PAW, Im expecting something as inspired and with the amount of love and care that PAW had. PAW was groundbreaking, it was more than people could take at the time. It had everything. As good as Images and Words was when it was released, it pales against PAW.

Unfortunately, evey new CD I hear fails to do this.

If you play Firegarden from the 7 track to the 9 track, you get what Im expecting. Those 3 songs are on par with the best PAW has to offer. I guess its just asking too much.

Sex and Religion is very good record (I love the vocals for moments, but y just hate when thousend starts to scream like an insane bonoboo). Its completely different, but its very good. But it is among the most inspired work Steve made.

I thought this album would be closer to some of his best work, but it is not. Its not bad, but its just not as good or inspired as the work listed before.
post #67 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Im not sure i like it much :\ Nothing that grabs me.
post #68 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm
Oh, and Yai Yai was funny The "Whookam" of this CD
Have you ever tried to play Whookam backwards?

Regards

André

post #69 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:19 PM

Well, I got it today. From the moment I heard Building The Church I was impressed, and I think that one is my favorite off the CD. And yes, Firewall is just great. I think we all pretty much have the same opinion on this CD, holy crap, we're all agreeing on something! Who woulda guessed? But I'll also agree that this is one of Steve's most inspired CD's and is very close to his heart. I don't know...it may score but then again it may flop. It's one of those things that the public will determine. But...Church & Firewall are still awesome! Lol.
post #70 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:20 PM

I'm still waiting for mine and the CD version of Live in Astoria. I ordered them from the bootlegshop.com of Sony. Anybody ever dealt with that place before? I e-mailed them because my order hasn't been shipped yet and I ordered it on the 1st of March.

Regards

André

post #71 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:33 PM

I think Lotus Feet is incredible. Best song on the album. "For the Love of God" style quality.It's just excellent. I actually like hearing Steve sing.
post #72 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Suspension: Multiple Users

#9 Midway Creatures
post #73 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy
I think Lotus Feet is incredible. Best song on the album. "For the Love of God" style quality.It's just excellent. I actually like hearing Steve sing.

Yes it is. There are some other good ones, but that is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard
post #74 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Question Re: Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Have you ever tried to play Whookam backwards?

Regards

André
anything special ? how do i play it backwards ?
post #75 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:20 AM

If you ask me, i LOVE this cd. I love how hes going for a different sound and actually based alot on another genre of music (bolgarian wedding music!). Every song stuns me. Even Yai Yai has this catchy melody to it which the "yai" effect (which usually seemed to me an unusable weird effect) and actually utilized it quite well. P'm kwee do (forgive me if im not good with the titles) Sounds pure heavenly and Track 2 sounds so sinister i cant help but LOVE it. Not to mention Freak Show which everyone seems to admire. Lotus Feet was also heavenly. I'v always liked songs that use exotic sounding scales or strange phrasing and alot of the content on this CD fulfills that. Of course Firewall is a pure "wall" of sound and energy which who cant love that and for his singing, just another great quality in vai that i admire and wish i had (cant sing for crap x.x).I'v never bought any of his other CD's but i'v heard most all his songs and the songs on this CD rank among my favorites.

Tags
beautiful guitar , eric johnson , fire garden , guitar playing , jack butler , lotus feet , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode