Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/15-ibanez-jem-uv-js-other-signature-models/)
-   -   JEM/UV Rant (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/jem-uv-rant-105552.html)

Fun111 09-13-2010 07:56 PM

JEM/UV Rant

Ok,

Bear with me here. Why is it getting so common these days that people think 'Hey, I have a JEM that's about 20 years old. There's a website for that, therefore it must be worth a ton of money'. So they stick it up on the bay or some forum for some massively over inflated price, and don't seem to realise after a month has passed, then another, and nobody's bought it that they'e asking too much! Now I'm not the kind of person who EMail's the jerk selling one to say 'hey buddy, you'll never get that for it, you should sell it for this', that's just plain rude, and perhaps why I'm posting this big long rant here. Honestly though, take the FP for example. Came out 88, after the hype died down a little, your average UK store was selling them for 949 (I have ads!). Take that guitar, add twenty years, bash it around so it looks like it's been dragged behind a car, change things, lose things etc etc, and try sell it for 1700? Inflation my backside, we're not talking about a collectable guitar when it's been tortured like that. Then you get people telling you they've spent X pounds restoring it, and it's still not in great condition, and now isn't even original. Honestly!

/rant

Feel free to delete this, I think I feel better now.

If this doesn't get deleted, anybody know what I mean? I get the sensible 'worth whatever someone will pay', and believe me I'm the first to try and make a profit if I under pay on something; but you know what I really mean... Come on, let it out, I know I'm not the only one who gets annoyed from time to time...

Fun111 09-13-2010 07:59 PM

Re: JEM/UV Rant

Just a note, this definitely isn't a dig at Rich or anything, lol. You spend the money with Rich, you get quality gear. This is more aimed at the irritating, lesser knowing population...

jemaholic 09-13-2010 08:01 PM

Fortunately, the market determines when selling prices are. People will always try for top dollar but after it sits for a few months - they finally get the message. I don't worry about such things - it's the circle of life....

AlaskaBat 09-13-2010 08:14 PM

Bro, I agree! Sounds like you have your eye on an FP in "player's condition" and the seller has an unrealistic price tag on it. When I see an axe I'm after with an inflated tag, I just build a positive rapport with the seller and sit back and wait 'til it gets lowered.

Fun111 09-13-2010 08:41 PM

Lol, it's not actually been any guitars I'm interested in that has caused this. I'm going through quite a comprehensive search for a Universe, and I've just seen lots of Ads on the way. I've not dealt with anybody that falls into the above described catagory yet, lol.

Not this time anyway, lol.

elcid 09-13-2010 09:06 PM

Everybody wants the most they can get for their stuff while expecting to pay the least for someone else's.

fractionallz 09-13-2010 09:22 PM

I relate it to the housing market, some people are desperate to sell so they sell cheap, others may not be hurting but for the right price they might be willing to sell so they test the market. It doesnt hurt to try and sell at a high price hoping that someone finds that guitar they just cant live without. If it sells great, if not no big deal.

nato101010 09-13-2010 10:01 PM

Can I please point out the VERY FIRST STICKY?????? lol.

Fun111 09-14-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nato101010 (Post 1035588)
Can I please point out the VERY FIRST STICKY?????? lol.

Lol, the first sticky is about the JEMs/UVs you can buy, and tbh I like the VWH, the UV777PBK is ok I guess, not really my thing, I'd kill for a UV77RE-MC etc etc. It's the people who get snobby about JEMs when they don;t even know anything about them and don't have a good one :-S.

Takin' a Ride 09-14-2010 07:28 AM

What I find funny is that if you read the ads, there are a handful of sellers who are holding onto several instruments at the really high prices. I'm assuming that they're able to carry a fair amount of overhead to be able to never move guitars. My assumption is that one day, they'll need the money and then the price will come down to reality. Either that or they'll hold on to them so long that the price will eventually inflate to where they are.

NSR 09-16-2010 04:17 AM

One of my pet hates is seeing content such as 'maple board shows some very light dirt (easy to clean)' in adverts. Really, if it's easy to clean then clean the damn thing and have an even cleaner guitar to sell, rather than tell everyone how easy it is to clean!

Point is, if it were easy to clean then they would have cleaned it up during the numerous months it's been up for sale already. It says two things; 1) it's not actually easy to clean at all as it will take a significant amount of effort 2) the seller is too lazy / can't be bothered, which shows how much care and attention the guitar has likely received during their possession of it.

Another is not being honest or misleading with damage. Especially on 'numbered' guitars which may be referenced elsewhere. Why try to deceive us with quotes such as 'minimal signs of play' and just say 'it's has a couple of very minor dings here and here (see photos)'. They would get a lot more respect with honesty instead of begging for negative feedback!

jim777 09-16-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSR (Post 1036004)
One of my pet hates is seeing content such as 'maple board shows some very light dirt (easy to clean)' in adverts. Really, if it's easy to clean then clean the damn thing and have an even cleaner guitar to sell, rather than tell everyone how easy it is to clean!

or, "It's only missing a few parts, you can get them for 20 bucks" Not worth the seller's effort, but worth mine ;)

Akhenaten 09-16-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun111 (Post 1035565)
people think 'Hey, I have a JEM that's about 20 years old. There's a website for that, therefore it must be worth a ton of money'. Take that guitar, add twenty years, bash it around so it looks like it's been dragged behind a car, change things, lose things etc etc, and try sell it for 1700?

while I understand your point to an extent, I must be the odd man out... I've never seen a Jem FP that looks like it's been "dragged behind a car" for 1700.00. I would expect exaggeration on both sides of the coin. With that, most of the people in here have answered as I would - that they'd either have it till they got the point, or found a sucker. The fake market proves there's plenty of suckers... So long as they exist, folks with less-than-stellar motives or ethics will prey upon them. If you're not one of them, as Jemaholic said, it ain't worth worrying over. Patience is your friend...you've waited this long. Keep waiting and the guitar you want will somehow end up in your home.

dcord 09-16-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 1036039)
while I understand your point to an extent, I must be the odd man out... I've never seen a Jem FP that looks like it's been "dragged behind a car" for 1700.00. I would expect exaggeration on both sides of the coin. With that, most of the people in here have answered as I would - that they'd either have it till they got the point, or found a sucker. The fake market proves there's plenty of suckers... So long as they exist, folks with less-than-stellar motives or ethics will prey upon them. If you're not one of them, as Jemaholic said, it ain't worth worrying over. Patience is your friend...you've waited this long. Keep waiting and the guitar you want will somehow end up in your home.

I agree with this point, but what I think the OP was hitting on is this:

It's frustrating to say the least when you see guitars constantly listed for FAR more than you've seen them go for recently. e-Bay is a great example - it's frustrating to be in the market for a given guitar that you know to be worth $1200-$1500, then see the same guitar listed at $2500. And it stays on the market FOREVER.

I can totally get behind the idea that it's your guitar, you are free to ask whatever you want for it. But I think a lot of what we see online amounts to artificial inflation because people see certain guitars listed at $2500, so they think that's the market value, then they list their guitars the same.

Fun111 09-16-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcord (Post 1036040)
I agree with this point, but what I think the OP was hitting on is this:

It's frustrating to say the least when you see guitars constantly listed for FAR more than you've seen them go for recently. e-Bay is a great example - it's frustrating to be in the market for a given guitar that you know to be worth $1200-$1500, then see the same guitar listed at $2500. And it stays on the market FOREVER.

I can totally get behind the idea that it's your guitar, you are free to ask whatever you want for it. But I think a lot of what we see online amounts to artificial inflation because people see certain guitars listed at $2500, so they think that's the market value, then they list their guitars the same.

+1

I'm liking you today, dcord, lol.