Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Wolfgang special (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/wolfgang-special-11347.html)

sniperfrommars1 08-16-2002 06:37 AM

Wolfgang special

Ive played these guitars and I like the quality alot. How much is a used one going for these days. I realize everyone dislikes these but I found what I thought was a good deal and wanted some insight on it. Any major player flaws that you guys know of with these guitars?
Thanks for the time

kirk 08-16-2002 08:14 AM

I've seen a lot of these selling for $500 used, but consider that the standard WG is frequently selling for as little as $700.

As for problems, I'd check the reviews on Harmony Central. While a good portion of them are from loyalists who would post rave reviews if it was a tird with strings, you can occasionally find an honest review.

Good luck, I know the standards are great instruments.

chromeboy 08-16-2002 11:48 AM

I'mm with Kirk, there are good deals to be found. I have had both the standard and the special and they are nice, well made quality guitars. One thing that I was/am impressed with is the checklist that each guitar leaves the factory with...it's good to know that companies still take quality control very seriously.

jem777az 08-16-2002 02:21 PM

I've seen your basic Wolfgang Special in Black or Gold going for $400-450 NEW!

The ones with the Flametops are a bit more, but do some shopping and you can find some new one's for less than $500 depending on the finish.

sniperfrommars1 08-16-2002 10:25 PM

I think peaveys just been making a better names for themselves. They make two of the best amps Ive ever played, the 5150, and the xxx series. Im not big on most of their guitars, but for the money, they more than do the job. Just wish they made better trems. Does anyone know of anyone who has routed a wolfgang for a floating trem?

Scott 74 08-19-2002 05:28 AM

I used to own a Wolfgang Special and loved it. Wished I'd never sold it. As far as comfort goes the JS wins hands down for the body, but as far as the neck goes the Wolfgang still can't be beat(for my hands at least :wink: )

Right now I'm saving every penny, and trying to get a Wolfgang Custom Shop. Thats why I started the other post on the custom shop! I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either the WG or WGS, but honestly I prefer the Special cause I like the simplicity in the design, and don't care to much for flametops or archtops. Good luck :wink:

kirk 08-19-2002 06:53 AM

I know this is probably a moot point, but are the Specials also made in the USA, and aside from the non-arch top and lack of tone pot, what's the difference between the standard and special?

I don't understand why guitar manufacturers have to use stupid labels like "special." It makes me more hesitant to buy a guitar with a name like this - yeah it's superficial, but I can't be the only one who feels this way. It makes me think of the "Blue Light Special" at K-Mart. If it's essentially the same guitar, why not just add some sort of abbreviation in the name, like "AT" (arch top.)

Knightmeir 08-19-2002 09:14 AM

They just call it special to make the lower end sound more, well, Special

: D

I have heard that they are some of the most comfortable guitars to play though. I've never messed with one... but I probably should.
I love the birds eye maple.

kuma 08-19-2002 09:35 AM

Peavey now has 4 Wolfgang models.

Standard - Arched top, vol and tone controls. Maple top on all the trans finishes obviously, but the goldtop and seafoam solid finishes also have maple tops, while the white and black solid finishes are all basswood. USA made.

Special - All baswood. Same as the standard, except: No arched top, no tone control, neck is not birdseye, neck pocket is not angled, and I think the headstock has a shallower angle as well. Also USA made.

Special FT - Same as the special, but with a flame maple top with natural binding.

EXP Special QT - Korean import. Like the Special, but with a quilt top in trans finishes. Top is very thin, apparently the natural binding is half basswood. (just what I've heard, haven't seen one in person.) Pickups are Korean made copies of the Peavey pickups. Doesn't have the 'branded' signature on the back of the headstock.

I A/B'ed a Special against a MM Axis over the weekend. I preferred the Axis tonally, although they were pretty close in feel. Of course the Acis also cost twice as much. ;)

sniperfrommars1 08-20-2002 04:31 AM

well the specials dont use choise woods. Its not really like a jem555 though
the trems are apparently the same, and the electronics, and the necks still use graphite rods. The tuners arent schallers, but you dont need them as it has a locking nut anyway. just a little cost cutting here and there. I dont think anyone expected the special to sound better than the musicman. THe musicman is premium everything, and the special simply isnt.