Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   it's all about the hunt. GAS (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/its-all-about-hunt-gas-125136.html)

satchmo72 01-08-2013 04:17 PM

it's all about the hunt. GAS

I figured out why I do not like having expensive guitars. I have all my money tied up in my PRS and I accidentally found a guitar I have been looking for for years at a good price. Now I cant get it because I have nothing I could sell besides one of my guns.

I also figured out that a big part of this hobby for me is the hunt, not always the catch either as some guitars dont even make it a couple of days in my possession. I like trying new guitars, I dont know that I am looking for one certain sound in particular most times. I used to think I was looking for that elusive "one," I really dont think it exists for me though. Mostly because I bail on things quickly or I start nitpicking because the hunt is over and it's time for a new hunt.

I am a horrible collector because I am OCD and just cant have something I am not using lying around. Sell one to buy another kind of thing. My wife jokes that she is surprised I have not "sold her off" but she has her uses so she is safe, along with my son and my cat.

I'm really starting to think I can record with anything i have at the moment, with a POD HD 500, I can create any tone I need. Oh sure, I change pickups but most times those changes are right back to the tried and true TZ/AN combo. I am even thinking about putting that in my PRS. AS long as it does not sound bad and fits the tone I have in my head (which apparently never changes) I'm good.

So there you have, my hobby, OCD's and obsessions wrapped in a neat little bow.

apadua 01-08-2013 04:43 PM

Re: it's all about the hunt. GAS

Agreed.

The hunt is definitely fun. Scoring something a couple of hundred dollars less than market value all ways feels good.

I actually enjoy the restoration/refinish part myself.

satchmo72 01-08-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apadua (Post 1218083)
Agreed.

The hunt is definitely fun. Scoring something a couple of hundred dollars less than market value all ways feels good.

I actually enjoy the restoration/refinish part myself.

Yep, my wife actually suggested that I do that as a side job thing. She thinks I have more fun restoring them than I do playing them.

LonePhantom 01-08-2013 05:04 PM

Selling a gun sounds like a good idea. A guitar is much more useful. :)

satchmo72 01-08-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonePhantom (Post 1218096)
Selling a gun sounds like a good idea. A guitar is much more useful. :)

Actually, I have been contemplating selling my AR15/22 anyway. Fun to shoot but I agree, I would get more enjoyment out what I want to buy.

Fastmerc 01-08-2013 09:42 PM

I agree...I love the hunt, the find, and the restore. I wouldnt get rid of any ar's right now though, tough to defend yourself with a guitar. Well unless you play as poorly as I do...that might scare off an attacker...lol

RGTFanatic 01-08-2013 10:32 PM

Man, this is me too!!

I LOVE THE HUNT!! once I have the guitars it's more like......Meh???

I do have one or two that really do "it" for me though...........

satchmo72 01-08-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGTFanatic (Post 1218204)
Man, this is me too!!

I LOVE THE HUNT!! once I have the guitars it's more like......Meh???

I do have one or two that really do "it" for me though...........

LOL Exactly, I'm like "Next"

I have one that does it for me, guess what it is???

satchmo72 01-08-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastmerc (Post 1218190)
I agree...I love the hunt, the find, and the restore. I wouldnt get rid of any ar's right now though, tough to defend yourself with a guitar. Well unless you play as poorly as I do...that might scare off an attacker...lol

Well, there is nothing like hearing that distinctive "click, click" of a 12ga. It works better than my playing. :)

LonePhantom 01-08-2013 11:30 PM

You Americans and your guns! :lol: We moved on from them here in Australia some time ago. Guitars are much more fun, and non-lethal. ;)

psychoshredder 01-08-2013 11:40 PM

I can tell I have 'the ultimate' guitar , that normally I don't need to look any further for tone.
yet... I'm still looking, browsing, checking all the classified stuffs on the internet every single day!

the very recent guitar I purchased was an USAC streetwise, that going direct to the case after playing it for .... 2 or 3 times maybe?

now I found my passion in building custom guitar that I can't get from ibanez, such as a full rosewood wizard neck ( it's in process).
a 24 fret washburn N 4 copy with 17mm thickness? yeah... it's on going too.

once it's done... I guess they will be not far from other guitar I have now, played it for couple of times, and then store it for good.

as for guns.. I like AK74M better...

satchmo72 01-09-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonePhantom (Post 1218219)
You Americans and your guns! :lol: We moved on from them here in Australia some time ago. Guitars are much more fun, and non-lethal. ;)

We are a crazy lot and we will move on from them too when the government passes the laws.

I wasn't going to get into this but even though I own an assault rifle, I am not convinced we NEED them hence why I was going to sell mine. The other stuff I have is primarily sport shooting stuff. 22's Something for my son and I to do together but we have just as much fun throwing the football around so...it would not kill me to get rid of them. We just got into them 2 years ago.

Pyscho, LOL cool that you are building what you want. Did that too, wont probably do it again but ya never know.

LonePhantom 01-09-2013 12:30 AM

Good to hear. My Dad is a sporting shooter, has been for years. Has never felt the need for semi-automatic self loading guns, which was good since after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 the gun laws were strengthened almost immediately.

There had been a number of bad mass shootings in the 10-15 years beforehand, the majority of the population were calling for stricter gun control. There were lengthy gun amnesties to hand them in, and whilst there was a vocal minority against this it all went fairly smoothly in the end. No where near the amount of shootings these days.

Sorry for the off-topic gun stuff. Back to GASing over guitars! :lol:

MichelIV 01-09-2013 12:36 AM

I think I acquired six(?, have to go count) Ibanez in the past few months. Strangely, when I was looking for my must haves, there was really nothing available. Now it seems there's a glut of them on Ebay. But I'm not biting, I swear!

I'm having that "meh" moment with a Gibson I just bought though. Total impulse buy and sold my PRS Bernie as a result. I had wanted an SC or stripped 58 but I couldn't justify the cost. The Gibby was very obtainable. Not sure what it is yet that I don't like but I think it's the pickups and setup. It has potential so I ordered the Callaham bridge set, locking Gotoh "Klusons" and am having my ReWind pickups updated with all the latest mods. I too love the hunt and working on them as much as I do playing.

I've committed to working on guitars less and playing a whole lot more. So I built a DAW in one of the spare bedrooms, rack mounting a bunch of gear, building a 2x12 and setting it up as an all-in-one desk unit. So much for more playing! I of course had to redo the office for the wife at the same time...I've got to start getting up early just to get practice in.

ironfistx 01-09-2013 12:50 AM

When I consider new guitars it's for the playing experience/feel, not for a new tone.

Is that weird?