Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Best non-Ibanez electric under $500, under $1000? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/best-non-ibanez-electric-under-%24500-under-%241000-125931.html)

Bryancap77 05-10-2013 08:07 AM

Re: Best non-Ibanez electric under $500, under $1000?

A custom ibanez.... :p sorry I just don't play much else for under 500 or 1000 I feel their quality at those ranges are top notch

linuxpenguin 05-10-2013 02:07 PM

Under 1000? Fender standard strat, telecaster. Some prs se models (torrero for instance),

Under 500? Fender mexi strat, telecaster. Epiphone les paul custom.... there's not a whole lot of guitars in this range...

That said, finding a good one is tough!

jem7vwh 05-10-2013 03:56 PM

There are so many fun guitars out there, it's really hard to pick just one.

If you're talking brand new, I'd nominate the Agile AL-3010 for the best guitar under $500. If you're talking about used non-Ibanez guitars as well, there's a ton of great old Charvels and Fenders available at or below that price.

For a great new guitar under $1000, it's hard to beat a Fender American Stratocaster. On the used market, $1000 can buy you so much--you can get a Jackson USA Soloist, a Charvel San Dimas, or one of the many great Classic 50s or 60s strats.

To be honest, though, I feel like 90s Ibanez guitars are still a phenomenal value on the used market. Why pay $700 for a used American Standard Stratocaster when I can snag a well-kept RG570 or RG517 with a super-Wizard neck and Edge trem (the green ones seem to be especially unwanted and, therefore, cheap) for $350 and then spend the rest on amp/effects?

I'm sad to report that Ibanez doesn't offer a single new product that I'd want in either of these price ranges. Their sub-$500 offerings are generally cheaply produced crap with plastic-y finishes, questionable fretwork, and lousy hardware. Things aren't much better at the sub-$1000 price point. The premium models look good, but the necks and tremolos are noticeably inferior to the old RG5xx series, there have been quality control issues.

IamFastEddie 06-19-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxpenguin (Post 1237303)
Under 1000? Fender standard strat, telecaster. Some prs se models (torrero for instance),

Under 500? Fender mexi strat, telecaster. Epiphone les paul custom.... there's not a whole lot of guitars in this range...

That said, finding a good one is tough!

+1 for the Strat and Tele on both counts. A blender pot, some capacitors and a couple of easy wiring mods and you can make some versatile monsters out of both.

khaas 06-20-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaas (Post 1228498)
I'll chime in with the obvious answer from my point of view.

www.reverendguitars.com

Check out the new Kingbolts & Bayonets.

I quoted myself. :oops:

100% gig ready out of the box, every guitar comes with a pro setup from my shop, no need to look for a "good one" they're all good, pickups pots & wiring need no mods, Bass Contour on every guitar, 90% of the line streets between 749-899.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing!

GodzillaPopcicle 06-21-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaas (Post 1242225)
I quoted myself. :oops:

100% gig ready out of the box, every guitar comes with a pro setup from my shop, no need to look for a "good one" they're all good, pickups pots & wiring need no mods, Bass Contour on every guitar, 90% of the line streets between 749-899.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing!

Nice plug...lol.
I still haven't tried one of these, but I've got one on my bucket list.

For budget non-Ibanez models, I've recently become fond of the LTD GL series.
They are great for the money, and can be found used pretty cheap.

The Floyd Special is above par, but I swap them out for Schallers. I just don't like the zinc saddles.

I was going to dump a Gravity Storm in my Kamikaze, but the stock pickup is really good.
I'll dump it in after I'm done enjoying the stock.
The Gravity is still my favorite DiMarzio yet.

You get alot of bang for the buck with those LTD GLs.
They play as good as they look.
I only grabbed my first, as I got a killer deal on a new Kamikaze with ESP case for $350.00
I liked it so much that I immediately grabbed a maple tiger for $299.99

Gotta find a purple tiger, now.

I only reserve the bigger cash for nice Ibanez models.

Adieu 06-21-2013 03:57 AM

Under $1k?
*used ESP Eclipse II Standard
*used ESP Vintage Plus (classic strat - miles ahead of AmStd & Deluxes)
*used Gibson Explorer Standard
*FGN Les Paul - pita to import from Japan, but maaan do those things sound cool

Under $500?
*used MIJ les pauls
*used Fender Pawn Shop MIJ
* -maybe-, just maybe an LTD Deluxe EC-1000... though it's a real pity, cuz there's just something intangible that makes a real ESP sooo much better

...though, rly, I wouldn't pay that much for a guitar. Personally, I usually play the "$100" game with craigslist. Record finds:
*soso Jackson Performer (likely Korea)... BUT - with 3, yes 3 Seymour Duncans & a hard case. $65. hehe
*'99 Ibanez SR885 MIJ w/gigbag - $100... oh oops its an Ibanez. but for $100, why not?!
*70s/80 Quest Atak - an obsure MIJ Matsumoku-made Explorer/Destroyer copy, 25.5" scale divine dark Brazillian fretboard, stringthru w/ brass saddles, old Grovers from back when they were good, two mean overwound-PAF-ish humbuckers w/ coil taps... NIIICE. - $95 w/ Gibson gigbag

...although that's gotten kinda depressing lately. If that doesn't work, up it to $150. Achievements there:
*'87 Ibanez RD-707, FujiGen MIJ. yeah yeah I know Ibanez again... BEST.BASS.NECK.EVER. silly GC thought it was some sort of gio. lol.
*'84 Washburn Precision Bass, Seymour Duncan active pup - MIJ matsumoku. idiotic sellers didn't realize it had a reversed tone control & a half-dead battery, so they thought it sounded like crap. hehe.
*Pristine '01 MexiStrat... 225 with hardcase, but comes out to 150 after flipping the case... modded it into a detail-correct copy of Kurt Cobain's main concert guitar w/ 2 Texas Specials and a DiMarzio H3
*Westminster '70s Les Paul Custom (Matsumoku MIJ - actually *sort of* an Ibanez, as it's spec'd exactly like an Ibby Model 2391 i think it was). maple f/b, perfect as-new after 40years Gotoh hardware, 2x zebra Super 70s (!!!), hardcase. locked up pots musta scared other away.... $120

And if that fails, go to $200-250:
*'91 Ibby Sabre 540s MIJ + bass hardcase - $200... SCORE! :))))) again, who cares if it's an ibanez in a non-ibanez thread
*'06 Jackson RR3, MIJ + upgrades (2x real SD USA Invaders instead of the Designeds) - $240
*LTD EC-500 Korea. EMG 81/60, Grovers, Tonepros. pretty much unused, seller said it was a gift that just sat there. $250 w/ hardcase, $180 after flipping that

GoodVaibes 06-21-2013 04:13 AM

For sub $500 I'm putting in a word for a G&L asat HB tribute. Korean made but the hard rock maple neck is sublime. Two overwound humbuckers (H-H) in a tele style guitar with a floyd rose special and a coil tap tone pot - this guitar is made to ROCK! \m/ (Found mine on C-list for $200 with a top quality G&L gigbag. Thank you Boston!)

Rab 09-29-2013 02:52 PM

For almost a 1k swing buy the Carvin online guitar builder and build yourself a Carvin DC600 or an ST300..nothing beats Carvin for the price..Its a custom as well...

Regards

windycitycane 10-05-2013 10:18 PM

I can't get my mind off of picking one of these up! I've got an rg370 and rg350 that I really like (nothing wrong with ibby's - I think they are the best guitars), put that Pro-Mod looks excellent! The store around here is getting some in Tuesday - can't wait to try 'em out.

thanks for making my decision easier..

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicDebris (Post 1225860)
I don't know about under $500 but for under a grand Charvel Pro Mod or So-Cal. You can't beat them for the price and playability.