Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Off-topic / Miscellaneous (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/13-off-topic-miscellaneous/)
-   -   So I got into my first real car accident. . . (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/so-i-got-into-my-first-real-car-accident-126089.html)

D.M.RG7620 03-03-2013 12:47 AM

So I got into my first real car accident. . .

First of all EVERYONE IS OKAY! I'd like to point out that I was NOT the driver. I was in the back seat on the passenger side.

Anyway, I'll explain what happened.

My brother, my unfortunate friend Erik and I had been hanging out around 11PM and ended up just driving around. We were heading north and were in the left turn lane at a green light and arrow. Well, since it was a green light AND arrow, the other side had the green as well.

So in our little Dodge Neon, we take the turn and my unfortunate friend Erik was oblivious to the BIG FU*KING WHITE VAN that was heading south. Well, that guy didn't see us either so he didn't hit his brakes at ALL. Nor did we. Both vehicles were going 35MPH. And for our international brothers, that's average speed. Kinda fastish.

I went from 35MPH to a complete stop and flipped around in about a half second. I could feel all of my organs slamming against my rib cage and when we finally stopped, I was unable to breath for a solid minute. After that and after the wooziness ended, I started remembering it.

I was able to see the van coming. But in my surprised state, I couldn't warn him. I couldn't remember my name. I just stared and waited (though according to Erik, I warned him a second too late. I don't remember this). Once he hit, everything REALLY DID become a blur. I couldn't see, hear, think, anything. Just feel pain. Then I couldn't breath. Then I got out and some as*hole was honking at me as a got out. Seriously? The rest went the way you'd expect. Make sure the other car's party is okay, talk to police and EMT's, find a way home, etc.

Couple days passed now. Final report: I still hurt haha. I got whiplash a bit, I slammed my knee on the center console which sucked and all of my chest hurts. Hurts to move, hurts to reach, hurts to stretch and hurts to breath. And the key I had around my neck stabbed me a little which I found funny :lol:. But the soreness will be gone in a few. I'm not worried.

And I finally understand the seatbelt. I always knew why you wear it. Duh, who doesn't? But now it really clicked (pun intended) with me. It caused me a lot of pain but without it, I'd be dead and RGTFanatic/Ryc/Dad would be posting a "RIP Damien" thread. I have no doubt that I would have died without it.

Seriously guys. Stop being lazy. Just wear it. It's a little uncomfortable but you know what else is? Your windshield. Especially if you're going through it.

Well, that's all! Just felt like sharing my new life experience!

Thanks guys!
-Damien

Oh, I forgot. That little Neon is totaled. That was Unfortunate Erik's second totaled car. And he's not even 18. First time was not his fault though.

D.M.RG7620 03-03-2013 12:51 AM

Re: So I got into my first real car accident. . .

Oh again. It was our fault but no one got a ticket.

LonePhantom 03-03-2013 02:04 AM

Glad everyone is ok, accidents are always bad. Glad your Dad didn't have to post a worse message.

Where has your Dad been anyway, hasn't been around lately. He ok? Worried I haven't heard from him.

D.M.RG7620 03-03-2013 02:49 AM

He's fine. Not sure what he's up to (since as some know, I no longer live with him). I'm guessing just a lot of work but I could be wrong.

Gojira 03-03-2013 05:53 AM

Glad everyone is ok! The green arrow means you have the right away. If it's just a green light, it's a different story and you have to yield to oncoming traffic.

D.M.RG7620 03-03-2013 11:03 AM

*I* know that :lol:. Im an awesome driver. No accidents of ANY kind. And I thought my friend knew that too but I guess I was wrong!

6fingers 03-03-2013 01:50 PM

Bryancap77 03-03-2013 02:01 PM

That's like a flashback for me bro, I was in the same situation with an ex gf 3 years ago. Got t-boned by a minivan in her little white girl car. Unwashed passenger, and it hit my door, so I pretty much kissed the bumper of than minivan.

Glad to hear your alright, and intelligent move on wearing the seatbelt, too many people don't.

6fingers 03-03-2013 02:59 PM

People who don't wear seatbelt or are dumb or don't care about their own lives.
Laws of physics are pretty clear, if car stops suddently, you fly.........period.
If car makes a fast curve, you fly..............period.
The question is..............what about rollercoasters without seatbelts, would you ride them?
I guess not ;)
Several times I saved myself from a huge car accident because dumbasses almost hit my car, I had to break strongly, sometimes I had to turn away very fast and sometimes both things, without a seatbelt I probably would be dead now(yousef would love it :lol: ).
Seatbelts uncomfortable?
How is that possible cause for real, I don't even notice its existence when I'm wearing it.
Just like Damien said, windshields are uncomfortable................. seatbelts are angels.

fwd0120 03-03-2013 03:27 PM

Good grief, D!!!! Glad you were not too seriously hurt (I'm sure you aren't feeling that great though!)!
It's great you were wearing a seatbelt - those things really are life savers!!! My dad was in an accident when I was little, He was pretty messed up (picture a fat guy with a leg behind his head...) But it's better than... the alternative!!! Thank seat belts! :D

Again, Glad you are alright, and I'm glad you didn't have "a Paul McCartney"!!!!

silverctr 03-04-2013 01:02 PM

+1 for seatbelts. Glad you're all okay too. Long ago when seatbelts weren't required, some idiot decided to rearend my mom's 79 T-Bird, in a drive-thru, with me in the passenger seat, no seatbelt, and sitting on my knees. Needless to say my forehead got intimately acquainted with the windshield leaving a nasty bruise, a couple days of headaches, and a shattered windshield (like when a baseball hits the glass). Contrary to popular belief, I'm just fine. ;)

GUITARMAGEDDON 03-04-2013 02:24 PM

good to hear you are okay. I had a good friend die in a car accident when we were 16 (he was a day younger than me). He was thrown from his truck..... probably would still be here if he was wearing a seat belt. It was one of the worst things ever .. and I have worn a seat belt everyday since (I'm 37 now) . Again, happy everyone is okay!

jvwhite 03-06-2013 02:36 AM

I'm happy to hear that you are fine! I almost experience that accident on my car. Good thing that my senses are not that bad and hit the brake before it hit on the car. Me and my passengers are terrified. A close accident is a terrifying incident what more of a real accident.

Scott 74 03-07-2013 02:33 PM

Man I am glad everyone is ok! Brings back memories for me too.......long story short I went through a light (it was green I had the right of way), but the guy coming my way was turning. Went to go turn then stopped then literally waited until I was at the light to to try and gun it......wrong choice. I slammed head on at 50+ MPH and destroyed my car. Luckily I was wearing my seatbelt cause I woud have eaten the windshield big time! Getting flung around the inside of a car is VERY dangerous (not like I have to tell you that) not just for yourself but everyone around you. Anyway I'll get off my soapbox, but I'm glad your ok.....I remember having all the whiplash and the room spinning for about the week after that happened. Take care man and get some rest!

RGTFanatic 03-07-2013 08:19 PM

Reading this story is every parents nightmare............. I seriously don't know what I'd do without you D................. actually, I don't think I would "do" anymore.

I love you.

BTW....... hearing about it on Jemsite SUCKS!!!! Thanks for the phone call...........:confused::confused::)