Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Another please help identify thread (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/another-please-help-identify-thread-127929.html)

Meechy 07-08-2013 05:10 PM

Re: NGD - Another please help identify thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan (Post 1244289)
Well, here it is. $155, kinda beat.

Well... I was gonna attach some pics, but it says my quota has been exceeded. I don't have any images in use and the files are 100K jpg files...?

Upload to photobucket or another hosting site and then just post the links here. :)
See guys? Blondes can be good for something besides flipping our hair and giggling. ;)
Man, I really have to stop that. LOL

Dexter Morgan 07-08-2013 05:54 PM

Re: Another please help identify thread

Ok, yeah, I will do that from home tonight if I can...

Dexter Morgan 07-08-2013 09:20 PM

PICS: Another please help identify thread

Meechy 07-08-2013 10:06 PM

I don't think that looks too bad for a twenty year old 'road worn' guitar.
I've seen a few really beat up guitars on the inter-web, many right on this forum.
I'd have paid the $200 for it, I think you got a really good deal at $155.
I don't really know much about the value of guitars, but I think under $200 for an Ibanez in that condition is pretty good.
I finally 'beat it out' of my boyfriend what he paid for my nearly perfect 2009 RG1550. Yes it's much newer and there was almost no wear on it save for a ding, but it was a LOT more than $200. :)
Plus; I just love that color. A little TLC and I'll bet it'll shine like a new guitar.

LonePhantom 07-08-2013 10:28 PM

That crack at the neck joint is a little worrying. You might want to take care with that. The neck finish and body can all be cleaned up. Looks like the screws were tightened too much on the pickguard. You could probably get a replacement on eBay or similar that would be close enough if you cared. For a couple hundred it's not bad though.

Dexter Morgan 07-08-2013 11:22 PM

Yeah, the neck crack worries me, but I figured for $155, it plays, and is more guitar than I could usually get for that. We'll see - it's one of those projects that may never really get fixed, just cleaned and played. But I will check into the crack. Just pull the neck and see if it's all the way through, or what? And if so, then what? Thanks guys...

Fastmerc 07-09-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan (Post 1244348)
Yeah, the neck crack worries me, but I figured for $155, it plays, and is more guitar than I could usually get for that. We'll see - it's one of those projects that may never really get fixed, just cleaned and played. But I will check into the crack. Just pull the neck and see if it's all the way through, or what? And if so, then what? Thanks guys...

Its a 99% chance its in to the wood, I have yet to refinish a body with a crack like that, that wasn't. If you want to stabalize it, you would have to clamp the bottom end of the body to a flat surface (make sure to use something to protect the finish) Then slowly apply pressure with a clamp to the neck pocket area, just enough to spread the crack a half a hairline. In other words you may not even be able to see the crack open up and use some decent thin superglue. Then release pressure. Remember to go slow and careful as you don't want to make the crack any bigger. If anyone else has a suggestion different feel free to post it as I would like to know also :)

Oh and that is a steal you just got, congrats! I would have paid the 200 and not thought twice about it.

Dexter Morgan 07-09-2013 09:14 AM

Cool, thanks! I felt like I owed you guys a post that actually ended up with me BUYING something as I have been asking about values but not really coming up with anything. I guess I am cheap! I will try your fix, or wait to hear if there are other ideas out there. Thanks again.

mike570 07-09-2013 01:02 PM

Seriously, my biggest concern on that guitar would be to make sure the neck hadn't warped. You can get a halfway decent neck on the bay to fix it if it were to come to that but you'd probably spend more than what you paid for the guitar.
The neck pocket crack is a little troubling but as others have mentioned you can probably manage it.
And as AlaskaBat mentioned it is a bad-ass color and instrument.
Almost as cool as roadflare red. :D

Dexter Morgan 07-09-2013 01:07 PM

I think I checked the neck thoroughly. It's not twisted which is clearly the biggest concern (in my opinion). It played fast and had good intonation... that was my worry going in for sure.

I've never had a maple fingerboard on a guitar, and I've been playing for over 25 years... this is the coolest looking guitar I have ever seen with a pick guard (generally hate them), so we'll see if I can get it clean!

GUITARMAGEDDON 07-09-2013 01:45 PM

pocket crack schmocket crack. That thing will last forever. nice score

Dexter Morgan 07-09-2013 01:50 PM

Thanks. I'm likin' it. And actually thinking about it, wondering what a little crack like that would turn into, or how it would affect things as they are. I mean, I'm not gonna be torquing on the neck... I'll take it apart later and look anyway though.

IbanezDaemon 07-09-2013 03:33 PM

That's a great deal for $155. Not in that bad condition either, has a bit of mojo. Loads of my Ibanez have similar neck pocket cracks, never given me any trouble.

Dexter Morgan 07-09-2013 05:41 PM

That's good to hear. I'll get this thing taken apart and cleaned up, and maybe post some more pics if it looks better. But, I really do want to know what you guys use to clean trems...

RGTFanatic 07-09-2013 06:50 PM

Damn man, You kicked my butt for "cheap guitar of the month" We paid about the same price, but your 550 is way nicer than the 760 I bought. I agree that the pocket crack is probably into the wood. I also agree that it probably won't cause a single issue for a while. If/when it does, fix it then. It's a simple, fast, and cheap fix to do.

Again congrats on the 550........... I'd buy 10 of them at that price!!