Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/15-ibanez-jem-uv-js-other-signature-models/)
-   -   Who does swirls? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/who-does-swirls-133365.html)

webmaestro 11-01-2014 05:48 PM

Re: Who does swirls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moebius (Post 1295969)
Livewire does not do custom work anymore, just sells complete guitars. I believe he was getting way behind on custom orders.

I sold him a guitar and the experience was frustrating due to his lack of organization. I would be hesitant to buy anything from him based on my interactions with him. He did not come off as professional in any aspect.

You ain't kidding.

I sent Michael my RG1527 in Oct 2013 for a single color refinish and fretboard swap. STILL WAITING. It's a bummer that some of the best craftsmen (and women) are the worst businessmen.

Zoot 11-01-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moebius (Post 1295969)
Livewire does not do custom work anymore, just sells complete guitars. I believe he was getting way behind on custom orders.

I sold him a guitar and the experience was frustrating due to his lack of organization. I would be hesitant to buy anything from him based on my interactions with him. He did not come off as professional in any aspect.

I heard the same story from many people.

Sean777 11-02-2014 04:49 AM

ET Guitars in Australia do great ones.

Laobi 11-02-2014 04:49 AM

Just to slightly hijack this thread, anyone in the UK or Ireland doing them?

With flights being almost as cheap as postage between our islands I could drop off and pick up. I searched on Google and found some guitar sprayers/painters, but no swirlers. So I guess in this part of the world if anyone is doing it they've no web presence.

sebastian 11-02-2014 07:44 AM

I think it was a smart move on Michael’s part to stop taking custom orders until he can get caught up.
He told me once he gets over the hump, he's going to only work on a handful of guitars at time.
This will allow him to have a faster turnaround time.

Michael is a perfectionist and he's had no luck finding anyone reliable enough with the high level of luthier skills and care that he wants out of someone to work for him.
He ends up investing time into a guy and finds out it's not what he's after or the guy just flakes out on him.

Training someone to work the way he wants them to work is difficult.
It takes time away from his productivity to train someone even though they have luthier experience in their past.

I think he's given up on people working for him after a long line of wasted efforts with luthiers.
He's doing the right thing at a great financial cost to himself.
Michael is putting the quality of his work and the promises he has already made to customers his priority.

Other luthiers in this business have just kept taking orders and down payments until the end of time with no delivery in site.

I know Michael will get everyone's projects done.
It may not be on the timeline he originally said but a lot has happened to him in the last year and a half to two years.

If you only knew what Michael's been through.
I'm amazed he's still moving forward.

I know some people feel like there's no excuse for the delays.
The one thing I do know is, there are valid reasons in this case.
These reasons are the results of Michael being a good person and getting punished for it.

I personally have three guitars over at Michael's place that have been there for one and a half years now.
He's completed four other projects for me in the past with amazing results.
I can wait more and not worry about it.

Custom guitars are Toys not heart transplants.
We all have other guitars we can play while waiting.
This isn’t something we need, it’s just something we want.

Takin' a Ride 11-02-2014 08:45 AM

To put this in perspective, people who have deposits in on Daemoness guitars are waiting 3-4 years to get them.

Stealthtastic 11-02-2014 08:47 AM

I think I will just hit up Ben Eller and have Marty shoot the clear.

jono 11-02-2014 01:51 PM

Uncle Ben to the rescue :)

Stealthtastic 11-03-2014 07:13 AM

Yeah, he is a SUPER nice guy and helped me with some questions a few years ago when I was a kid! Plus I think he swirls more as a hobby and is a music teacher/pro musician most of the time, so if somethings happens he can always refund easily because he doesn't rely 100% on swirling for income.

I still owe him like 23872 beers and chicken anyways lol