Jemsite

Jemsite (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/)
-   All Other Guitars (including Prestige) (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/18-all-other-guitars-including-prestige/)
-   -   Is this worth it? (https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/worth-134657.html)

MatiasTolkki 03-23-2015 09:30 AM

Is this worth it?

This is a rocket roll from 1983. Candy Apple. The asking price, used is about 900 USD. It was never released in Japan supposedly but I'm curious if that is a total rip off, or a decent price. There are pictures on the right side showing a lot of the damage over 30 years:

https://www.shimokura-webshop.com/pr...oduct_id=57545

Drew 03-23-2015 12:32 PM

Re: Is this worth it?

That's about $900, even after the recent fall in the yen?

I won't speak to it from a collectability standpoint because frankly I don't care, really, but $900USD can buy you a LOT of guitar in a used Ibanez, especially in Japan, these days. That's a tough sell.

MatiasTolkki 03-23-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 1309004)
That's about $900, even after the recent fall in the yen?

I won't speak to it from a collectability standpoint because frankly I don't care, really, but $900USD can buy you a LOT of guitar in a used Ibanez, especially in Japan, these days. That's a tough sell.

It's more like 840 or so, I just make it easier for people to understand so I make it a round number.

I totally agree. My 560 and 580 together (had I paid full price for the 580) would have cost 80,000 yen. Ishibashi has a black rocket roll for like 45,000 yen (half the price) so I was wondering if just because it's candy apple and allegedly not released in Japan, if it's worth double the price of the black RR.

RGTFanatic 03-23-2015 10:47 PM

That's definitely an RR550 ('83?), but I've never seen one in FR (Fire Red). They were all supposed to be cherry burst.

The RR550 was the top of the line...... the black RR may be something entirely different. You better find out what model it is and what hardware is on it. Is it bolt-on or set neck?

MatiasTolkki 03-23-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGTFanatic (Post 1309031)
That's definitely an RR550 ('83?), but I've never seen one in FR (Fire Red). They were all supposed to be cherry burst.

The RR550 was the top of the line...... the black RR may be something entirely different. You better find out what model it is and what hardware is on it. Is it bolt-on or set neck?

The black one is an rr1000, it's on ishibashis used page for ibanez.

So this RR550 is really rare. Worth that price though?

Drew 03-24-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki (Post 1309035)
The black one is an rr1000, it's on ishibashis used page for ibanez.

So this RR550 is really rare. Worth that price though?

Maybe. If it's original. It may not be - look at the chip at the end of the horn, there's clearly some red clear underneath that, it could be a resprayed cherry burst. If so it's done well, but that wouldn't make it more "collectible."

So, what's your objective here? Are you looking to buy it to sell at a profit? If so, if you can, check it out in person. Are you looking for a cool guitar to add to your collection? Then decide if it's worth it to YOU, and if you would get $850 of happiness out of owning that and don't need the money for anything else, go for it. Are you looking for a killer player? Just grab a good RG550 and be done with it.

MatiasTolkki 03-24-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 1309064)
Maybe. If it's original. It may not be - look at the chip at the end of the horn, there's clearly some red clear underneath that, it could be a resprayed cherry burst. If so it's done well, but that wouldn't make it more "collectible."

So, what's your objective here? Are you looking to buy it to sell at a profit? If so, if you can, check it out in person. Are you looking for a cool guitar to add to your collection? Then decide if it's worth it to YOU, and if you would get $850 of happiness out of owning that and don't need the money for anything else, go for it. Are you looking for a killer player? Just grab a good RG550 and be done with it.

I was just curious about the price. I had noticed it some time ago, but wasn't sure if that was a good price for it or if it's a rip off. Ever since I saw a Rocket Roll for the first time, I've been curious about having one at some point.