Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Best Foam to go Under Pickups?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  webmaestro 
#1 ·
Regarding direct-mount pickups, have any of you found a type of foam that works especially well for pickup height adjustment? It needs to be soft enough to allow adjustment, but resilient enough to remain springy for a few years.

I've tried a lot of different types of soft foam, weather-stripping, etc. under pickups. All are about the same: they work well for awhile, until they give up the fight and become a useless flat pancake.

I've also tried little bits of surgical tubing just around the screws--but don't like that because I sometimes have issues with the tilt of the pickups.

So, I'm curious if any of you have found something that you feel works especially well for this type of thing. Maybe you've found a specific type of foam that is squishy enough to allow pickup adjustment, but maintains it's springiness for at least a few years. Or, maybe you do something totally different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.